By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo switch is too expensive"

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

The Shield TV has the same chipset and costs $200 USD. There's no way a 6 inch 720p screen and the joycons cost $100, so the Switch is overpriced.

Keep in mind nVidia still made a profit from that.

Exactly, Nintendo should easily be able to sell Switch for $250 with a good profit margin.

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:

The PS4 and XB1 are both 299 (in fact, the XB1 is actually on sale for 279 right now). You can't possibly tell me the HW inside the Switch is worth as much as either of the former two consoles.

The PS4 and XBO aren't powerful portable devices with screens

The Vita still sells for 200 bucks. It's old tech. The Switch is 300, and is much more powerful than the Vita, has a bigger screen, and more advanced tech around as well. 

You can't compare everything based only on the CPU and GPU specs. There is a lot more to take into account than that. Portability being one. 

barneystinson69 said:

The PS4 and XB1 are both 299 (in fact, the XB1 is actually on sale for 279 right now). You can't possibly tell me the HW inside the Switch is worth as much as either of the former two consoles.

Couldn't we then criticize XB1 for being the same price as PS4 (even though it's weaker)?

I get if the Switch was $400 or something, but the constant questioning of pricing seems a bit off. The Vita is significantly weaker and still goes for $200, so by handheld standards I don't think $300 is necessarily bad.

Again though, it's up to everyone. Each console has a good justification for their price. PS4 is a great gaming device, XB1 is like an all-in-one device for your living room, and the Switch will provide actual games on the go in HD (screw mobile). 

Personally, I own the XB1S and can't wait to get the PS4 and Switch. I'm still catching up on gen 7 though. 

Hynad said:
Pemalite said:

For some reason I have never enjoyed *any* D-Pad since the SNES. I don't even like the SNES clone controller D-Pads for PC.
Playstation, Xbox, Successive Nintendo controllers, various PC controllers. Never liked any of them, which in turn has impacted my ability to enjoy fighting games. :(
The Original Xbox and Xbox 360 had probably the worst D-Pads though. They were disgusting, Microsoft fixed allot of what was wrong with the Xbox One's D-Pad though, but I still don't enjoy it.
I would like an Xbox One controller that swaps the left Joy Stick with the D-Pad around, that might help.

Why? What's wrong with D-Pads?

Of course, the real way to play a fighting game is with a proper arcade fighting stick. But the good ones are almost as expensive as a console. :(

No idea. Might just be the placement. It was the primary movement input on the SNES thanks to the placement.
Or it could be the material. - If it's too glossy then your finger slides way to easily, if it's rubbery/textured it might not slide enough.

I used to play Killer Instinct to death on the SNES when I was a kid to the point where I would get blisters on my thumb from sliding it around on the D-Pad... Tried playing Killer Instinct Classic, Killer Instinct 2 and Killer Instinct on the Xbox One yesterday and I just can't do it.  It just feels awkward to use the D-Pad, I prefer to use the stick and that sucks.

Proper Arcade sticks are awesome. But a real original SNES gamepad for me is the perfect controller for fighting games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Hynad said:
barneystinson69 said:

The PS4 and XBO aren't powerful portable devices with screens

The Vita still sells for 200 bucks. It's old tech. The Switch is 300, and is much more powerful than the Vita, has a bigger screen, and more advanced tech around as well. 

You can't compare everything based only on the CPU and GPU specs. There is a lot more to take into account than that. Portability being one. 

And whats your point? Nintendo said this was a "home console".  http://nintendotoday.com/reggie-nx-home-console/

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
barneystinson69 said:

Couldn't we then criticize XB1 for being the same price as PS4 (even though it's weaker)?

I get if the Switch was $400 or something, but the constant questioning of pricing seems a bit off. The Vita is significantly weaker and still goes for $200, so by handheld standards I don't think $300 is necessarily bad.

Again though, it's up to everyone. Each console has a good justification for their price. PS4 is a great gaming device, XB1 is like an all-in-one device for your living room, and the Switch will provide actual games on the go in HD (screw mobile). 

Personally, I own the XB1S and can't wait to get the PS4 and Switch. I'm still catching up on gen 7 though. 

We're talking about 1/3 of the power of the XB1, not 50% weaker. There are other reasons to owning a console of course, but the XB1 isn't significantly weaker than the PS4. That doesn't apply to the Switch.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

onionberry said:
Jpcc86 said:

Because worth is not measured by cost. The $299 price may very well be justified by the cost of manufacturing and engineering the product, but if its features do not appeal to the audience- hence hold no value to them- then its not worth it. Again, a matter of opinions. 

it's what I'm saying, the price of the system is not too expensive, if is not valuable for some people then that's fine but those people can't be so entitled to think that a device should cost less money because is not what they want or what they value. The whole thread saying the same.

They can be "entitled". It's called voting with your wallet. If they don't see the value in buying it for $299, they won't. If people aren't buying it for $299, then it's not worth $299, no matter how much it cost to make.

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:

Why? What's wrong with D-Pads?

Of course, the real way to play a fighting game is with a proper arcade fighting stick. But the good ones are almost as expensive as a console. :(

No idea. Might just be the placement. It was the primary movement input on the SNES thanks to the placement.
Or it could be the material. - If it's too glossy then your finger slides way to easily, if it's rubbery/textured it might not slide enough.

I used to play Killer Instinct to death on the SNES when I was a kid to the point where I would get blisters on my thumb from sliding it around on the D-Pad... Tried playing Killer Instinct Classic, Killer Instinct 2 and Killer Instinct on the Xbox One yesterday and I just can't do it.  It just feels awkward to use the D-Pad, I prefer to use the stick and that sucks.

Proper Arcade sticks are awesome. But a real original SNES gamepad for me is the perfect controller for fighting games.

Yeah, the goold ol' days of the SNES and fighting games. I remember playing Killer Instinct to death as well. I played in the arcade more than on the SNES though. Back then, as a teenager, I was a paperboy for one of the main newspaper here. And this allowed me to spend a lot of my time in the arcades, wasting away my money to become competitive at Killer instinct, Street Fighter Alpha and Mortal Kombat II. Those were my good years when it comes to fighting games. But yeah, I played the heck out of Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES and never had a problem with its D-Pad. But it's true that when I was younger, I would get blisters after long play sessions. But that was just my fingers still being young and soft. The skin got thicker over time from playing so often, and that problem eventually became a thing of the past. =P

barneystinson69 said:

if you put the hardware of the switch inside a console then not, it's not expensive. But here we are talking about more than just a chip, we are talking about two controllers with some good tech a screen and portability. the same example, there are gaming laptops more expensive than gaming desktops even when the desktops are more powerful. And of course, Nintendo needs profit, which is not bad for a company.

Forget xb1 and ps4 cos you seem to have no idea what else those consoles are offering besides power.
First, Why dont you convince wiiu users that switch is worth 300$?