By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like no 3G/LTE or Upgradable Battery for Nintendo Switch =(

collint0101 said:
I feel like this is something only you care about

Considering the main question asked when I have my Vita out in public is whether or not it does calling and text, I would say that it way more than just a me thing. Also, the fact that I knew many people with PSP and DS, and I am the only person I know with a Vita, and I only know one person with a 3DS, and the people that did not move on said, that the lack of mobile connectivity was their main reason, for not getting either device, I feel very compelled to believe this has been a major issue with the current handheld market.

Goodnightmoon said:
Love when people make themselves look deeply disappointed about things nobody was expecting anyways.

Not, trying to appear disapointed. I am genuinely upset at the distruction of one of my favorite aspects of life. Sony and Nintendo have distroyed the mobile gaming market, and I was hoping that Switch was going to start turing the corner. Now it looks like the future is even worse than the present. When I come on the boards and see gamers aplauding the end of quality handheld devices, and deep, quality handheld games, it leaves me feeling really defeated. As a person that lives to see progress, a part of my future looks really empty without any decent mobile devices in the future. 

It is also very sad to see that people can't see the writting on the wall. If these have no function outside of gaming, they will not sell to the masses. If they don't have some sort of broader reach, they will not sell enough to be viable content platforms, and the remaining support will be forced out of the business, or have to move to alternate platforms. If this continues, and no one brings out a gaming form factor mobile device that can reach a decent sized audience, then this is all over. We will no longer have great gaming on the go. If nothing is done, and the future is touch screen gaming, then we all failed. And, that is more than disapointing, it is just plain sad.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

USB C portable battery... and you can charge it up while playing :p

It's really not a problem at all. It may be a problem for people frequenting gaming forums (just like the GFLOP thing) but everyone else is just not going to care. And Sony did try to put 3G into the Vita and that model collected dust on the shelves. So we basically have proof that people don't care about 3G/4G in a handheld.

If someone wants that functionality they can just use their phone as a hotspot. It's extremely simple and convenient. Putting 4G into the Switch is a solution in search of a problem (just like the Wii U gamepad).

GhaudePhaede010 said:
The thought that people really want a 3/4/5g model and are actually willing to pay for it is disturbing. Where the hell were you when my precious Vita was failing? Just hook it up to your phone via wireless hotspot and move along. And don't act like you cannot do it... because if you could pay for this feature, you can do it with your phone.

Truth is, this feature is not necessary and will have very little measure on the success of Switch. I guess a few people will be upset because Switch will not offer every feature known to man ever (I was very mad it would not mow my lawn... shit, I have a huge yard) but I doubt those people matter.

I have two 3G Vita's and Vita Slim. I have been on board for the advancement of mobile tech for years. The 3G Vita was on course to bring a brilliant future, but thanks to the old gaurd at Sony, it was killed in favor of the great money hole that is Xperia.

Asking for 3G/LTE is not some far fetched wow, it should be a teleporter too joke. Not having a 3G/LTE option is the joke. This is 2017, 3G is old and cheap technology, and 4G is in it's prime years. This is a basic feature in every non gaming elctronic device on the market. 

OdinHades said:
Pemalite said:
The only reason not to include mobile 4G/3G is to cut costs.

No mobile data, severely underclocked hardware, low 720P screen.

If you can't upgrade the battery, then I would hope the device is water proof.
And if it isn't water proof, then it is a stupid design decision, lithium battery's have a finite life-span, it is a matter of *when* they fail, not if.

My 13-year-old GBA SP runs just fine! Sure, the battery isn't as strong as it used to be, but I can still squeeze 5-6 hours out of that lil' sucker. Never changed the battery. 

On top of that, I'm sure you will be able to change the battery. It will be just a little more complicated. Just like with the Dual Shock 3 and 4. On paper, you can't change the battery. I did it multiple times though. When a replaceable battery is that important to you, 5 minutes of work with a screwdriver shouldn't be too bad.

About 4G: Sucks for every gamer who still hasn't a smartphone. Both of them. 

We have to see about the battery, not sure if it is just not supported by Nintendo, or if it is intergrated in the MB, which would be stupid.

As for 4G and Smartphones. I don't get how people are ok, with paying $600 for a phone, and another $300 for a gaming device, when they could get everything in one package from a $400 version that offers both. Why are we carrying around 2  devices that have identical hardware inside, but each is gimped as to require the other. This is absolute madness.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Battery not upgradable <> battery not replacable.

The "upgradable battery" in the Wii U tablet controller was a joke... they should have sold every Wii U with the "high" capacity battery in the first place.

I hope this time they put in a high capacity battery right from the start instead of putting in a gimped battery and leaving unused space for a bigger one.

Around the Network
Louie said:

It's really not a problem at all. It may be a problem for people frequenting gaming forums (just like the GFLOP thing) but everyone else is just not going to care. And Sony did try to put 3G into the Vita and that model collected dust on the shelves. So we basically have proof that people don't care about 3G/4G in a handheld.

If someone wants that functionality they can just use their phone as a hotspot. It's extremely simple and convenient. Putting 4G into the Switch is a solution in search of a problem (just like the Wii U gamepad).

That is not the case. Sonys board did not want PlayStation competeing with Sony Mobile, and they pulled the plug on the 3G Vita. Sony Computer Entertainment had already planned a 4G version of the Vita, and it was talked about by AT&T at the time. They said, that it was going to open up amazing online gaming, and networking, but thanks to politics at Sony, it never made it to the market, and all Vita support from Sony was polled, and shifted to Xperia. Sony chose wrong though, it has cost them Billions of dollars, and they have nearly lost all of their market share. Sales of the Xperia line are expected to be less then PS4 this year, a far cry from the 60 million devices a year they were selling just 3 years ago.

As for this being a gaming board problem. I have to disagree. This is absolutly an everyone else problem. Gamers are fine with these devices only playing games. The problem is, there are very few gamers. The mass market that is required to keep devices alive, wants devices that can handle all of their needs. Even if they want COD, GTA, and Madden on the go, if it means another $300+ dollar device specifically for that, they arn't going to by. Now if they can buy that $300+ device and get their mobile web browser, facebook, text and talking, than they will actually consider it.

Honestly at this point, if you put a single handheld on the market that played Halo, Gears, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Mario, Pokemon, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Fifa, and Madden, but it had no mobile connectivity. Even with all that software, it would never make it past 50M units sold. The non  hardcore market is just done with single function mobile gaming devices.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

spemanig said:
RavenXtra said:
Wouldn't that kind of functionality needlessly drive up the cost of the device, considering Wi-Fi would be much better for playing any kind of multiplayer game?

You don't always have access to Wifi. LTE would have been good for downloading games and just general function as well.

OT: The rumor was that LTE would be limited to a higher priced item. I'm very disappointed in this.

Just turn on hotspot man

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

KBG29 said:

Not having a 3G/LTE option is the joke.

No.. Having 3G/LTE would be a joke.

KBG29 said:

As for 4G and Smartphones. I don't get how people are ok, with paying $600 for a phone, and another $300 for a gaming device, when they could get everything in one package from a $400 version that offers both. Why are we carrying around 2  devices that have identical hardware inside, but each is gimped as to require the other. This is absolute madness.

Do you think Nintendo should try compete agains smartphones..?   It feels like some kind of .... what you say  dont make sense.

1. Nintendo knows that most people has "working" datalines in the pocket

2. There is a lot of Wifi in public now

3. Fare most portable gaming will be done at home/famelly/friends/school/train/bus where there is WIFI

A smart Wifi setup.. where you use 5 min. to enter codes to the different networks.. and  a app that gives you a Nintendo icon.. that opens up Wifi/gps.. files and stuff.. is the only thing that makes sense.

And I'm pretty sure most will be surprised over how much Switch will connect to smart devices

I think it would be a cool step forward to have that funcionality tbh. Not that I care too much though.

Look at Mr. sales expert here. Switch is certainly doomed to sell horribly now that he says it is! 

I'm baffled by how many people think they know a single thing about how to make and/or sell a product. Absolutely hilarious how many people would plummet themselves into bankruptcy off their little visions and ideals that the market either couldn't care less about or wouldn't care enough about.