By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like no 3G/LTE or Upgradable Battery for Nintendo Switch =(

Good.That cuts out potential latecy problems with games that rely on multiplayer.Not to mention that the cost for such data plans would be considerable.Now, no bwing able to put extra baterry is dissapointing, but we will see if its true come January.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

No mobile connectivity? That sounds fantastic. Best news we heard about the Switch so far.

Keep it wifi only as a gaming console, keep the mobile data to phones and tablets only and away from console gaming.

This. Just keep it as a gaming system. The Switch is entirely meant for portable and home gaming, not paying your bills and typing out documents with it while calling people using skype. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

KBG29 said:

The problem here is in many places Wifi hotspots are not allowed due to data sensativity. Many businesses don't allow employees to create their own hotspot, doing so can lead to suspension up to termination.

Well, to be fair gaming while you should be working could already lead up to termination anyway.

Conina said:
Battery not upgradable <> battery not replacable.

The "upgradable battery" in the Wii U tablet controller was a joke... they should have sold every Wii U with the "high" capacity battery in the first place.

I hope this time they put in a high capacity battery right from the start instead of putting in a gimped battery and leaving unused space for a bigger one.

Well if you cant replace the baterry (easily, without voiding warranty) they wouldnt put a small battery in and leave room for a potentially bigger battery now would they??

Would they??

Shit now im starting to worry, this totally sounds like a stupid Nintendo descision

onionberry said:
KBG29 said:

Exactly the problem with Vita and 3DS. 

1. Most are not connected devices, so why take them out on the regular.

2. Thanks to number one, they are regulated to basically dedicated gaming machines.

3. Due to one and two, this is the smallest handheld generation ever, and therefore finding someone with a Vita or 3DS is a 1 in a million chance.

Not everyone is so lucky. Nor do I have the room to carry multiple devices everywhere every day, or the time to be pairing them. As for the battery, it really depends on how unchangable it is. If I can get to it to swap it, then cool, I typically have power around me all the time, but as mentioned below, batteries only last so long.

So much good stuff here. It is really incredible that they won't offer a wifi one for $299.99 and a 4G one for $399.99. I can live with paying $399.99 for something I will use for a couple hours everyday. But, even at $250 or $300, it is hard to justfiy for something I will only use once in a blue moon. The underclocked hardware and low res screen where also something I could live with for a great mobile device, but now that it appears it will be an at home only device, it fells quite upsetting. 

The battery thing I have to see. If it is soldered into the mother board, then that is just....?

Well I'm guessing that if people have the money to pay another data bill just for a  handheld console, they have the money to pay a mobile hostpot or unlimited data. And you can use those options for more devices, not just for the switch. Time to pair the device? You have time to play outside but you don't have 30 seconds to pair the switch to an external online connection?

Mobile hostpost, wifi carriers and free wifi everywhere... yeah I don't see the need of a more expensive device AND another data bill just for the switch when the internet is so accessible these days. 

Pairing to my mobile hotspot is automatic. It works just like a full size router. Only difference is that you turn it on before using it. If the Switch has the option to automatically see and connect to a router its already paired with, using a mobile hotspot with it is as simple as hitting the ON button on the router.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network

Why would you expect cellular connectivity? Wi-Fi is all it requires. Companies don't put that in tablets either normally.

FromDK said:
KBG29 said:

Not having a 3G/LTE option is the joke.

No.. Having 3G/LTE would be a joke.

KBG29 said:

As for 4G and Smartphones. I don't get how people are ok, with paying $600 for a phone, and another $300 for a gaming device, when they could get everything in one package from a $400 version that offers both. Why are we carrying around 2  devices that have identical hardware inside, but each is gimped as to require the other. This is absolute madness.

Do you think Nintendo should try compete agains smartphones..?   It feels like some kind of .... what you say  dont make sense.

1. Nintendo knows that most people has "working" datalines in the pocket

2. There is a lot of Wifi in public now

3. Fare most portable gaming will be done at home/famelly/friends/school/train/bus where there is WIFI

A smart Wifi setup.. where you use 5 min. to enter codes to the different networks.. and  a app that gives you a Nintendo icon.. that opens up Wifi/gps.. files and stuff.. is the only thing that makes sense.

And I'm pretty sure most will be surprised over how much Switch will connect to smart devices

Nintedno is already competeing against Smartphones, it is unavoidable, and the whole reason 3DS has sold 60M units compaiered to DS selling 155M. If Nintendo does not do a better job competeing against smartphones and tablets, then they will eventually not have enough market to sustain business. The way things are looking now, Switch is going to be even more of a dedicated gaming device than the WiiU or the 3DS. If that is the case, they are going loose a massive amount of sales again. This is bad for people that love gaming.

Chazore said:
BasilZero said:

No mobile connectivity? That sounds fantastic. Best news we heard about the Switch so far.

Keep it wifi only as a gaming console, keep the mobile data to phones and tablets only and away from console gaming.

This. Just keep it as a gaming system. The Switch is entirely meant for portable and home gaming, not paying your bills and typing out documents with it while calling people using skype. 

You do know, that if Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can't get people to use their platforms for more than gaming that they will eventually die right? Eventually Amazon, Apple, and Google will take over and religate games as a second class activity. All killing PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo does, is mean people will be playing lower quality games on their multipurpose devices, such as the Apple TV, Amozon Fire TV, iProduct, or android product. 

If we stripped Netflix, Hulu, Blu-ray, web browsing, music, photos, videos, and the rest of the non gaming features from PS4 and XBO, this market would already be dead. There is nothing gloriuos about a games only device, and championing that agenda is exactly what is going to kill this hobby. The additude gamers have towards progress in gaming hardware is going to be the death of this industry.

superchunk said:
Why would you expect cellular connectivity? Wi-Fi is all it requires. Companies don't put that in tablets either normally.

Becuase Handhelds compete with Smartphones and Tablets, and without it they are nearly at the point of extinction.

It honestly blows me away every time I have this discussion on gaming forums. People seriously don't want gaming devices to survive. Every time this industry trys to progress it recieves backlash from the gaming community. Now, people complain about the lack of quality games, and new experiences. Well were did that come from? Gamers unreal expectations, that somehow, magically, games will be made for the 10 Million people that are willing to by dedicated gaming devices. Not only will those games be made, but they will be incredible experiences. 

Sorry, but that is not going to happen. If we continue to take a stance against the growth of the industry, then there will be not future for great gaming devices. We will be stuck with over priced devices, that also happen to play really bad games. But, hey, as far as I see from the hate on Motion, VR, Wii, PS3, PS Vita, and Xbox One, that is exactly what the gaming community wants.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

You do know, that if Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can't get people to use their platforms for more than gaming that they will eventually die right? Eventually Amazon, Apple, and Google will take over and religate games as a second class activity. All killing PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo does, is mean people will be playing lower quality games on their multipurpose devices, such as the Apple TV, Amozon Fire TV, iProduct, or android product. 

If we stripped Netflix, Hulu, Blu-ray, web browsing, music, photos, videos, and the rest of the non gaming features from PS4 and XBO, this market would already be dead. There is nothing gloriuos about a games only device, and championing that agenda is exactly what is going to kill this hobby. The additude gamers have towards progress in gaming hardware is going to be the death of this industry.

1. Your vision is not the objective future. Like it or not, people are still buyign MS/Sony/Nintendo systems.

2. Mobile is not the future for all. Like it or not here are 7 billion and more on this planet, all of them don't indulge in mobile gaming.

The market wouldn't be dead if you stripped features that we already have with DVD/Blu Ray players, desktop's, laptops and even Tablets. You have this very, very weird obseession with having this godlike materful all in one supercomputer with a one world type eco system, one that you will never want to leave. You have got to abandon such an obsession, because it's really not healthy.

Your ideas kill others, have you ever once thought about that at all?. Your glorious master future pushes other people like me away. Your wish for progress is a step backwards for otherrs. I don't want mobile gaming taking over absolutely everything, that can go burn in a fire for all I care. Your desired future where consoles kill PC's can go as well.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

@KBG29: You're already going to carry a smartphone on you no matter what; whether the Switch has 3G/4G functionality has no bearing on that. Therefore, there is no reason you can't just use your smartphone as a mobile router. I (and most people) ain't paying an extra monthly fee for a data plan on a gaming console. Most people who have an extensive amount of time for multiplayer gaming probably aren't doing on the go in an area without access to WiFi anyway.

And like Cap'n Yuri said, if you've ever tried to play Smash (or any P2P game for that matter) with someone with a shitty connection, you'd know how much of a blessing in disguise this really is.

Goodnightmoon said:

Love when people make themselves look deeply disappointed about the lack of something nobody was expecting anyways.

Especially from people who wouldn't even buy the console in the first place.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints