By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like no 3G/LTE or Upgradable Battery for Nintendo Switch =(

spemanig said:
RavenXtra said:
Wouldn't that kind of functionality needlessly drive up the cost of the device, considering Wi-Fi would be much better for playing any kind of multiplayer game?

You don't always have access to Wifi. LTE would have been good for downloading games and just general function as well.

OT: The rumor was that LTE would be limited to a higher priced item. I'm very disappointed in this.

LTE for downloading games...... It would use up your data for one game unless you want the Switch to get a ton of mobile games anyway (Eww)

LTE does not serve much purpose on it

If you really want this option just get a WiFi hotspot from the carrier of your choice. It would work with anything and would be cheaper than the added option would be to the switch

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Nintendo is competing against phones and tablets whether they want to admit or not.

Reasons why people use smartphone/tables: phone calls, text messaging, Android/iOS apps... 
None of which apply to Switch.  Why are you expecting it to basically BE an Android device with N games and controls?
You think that Nintendo aiming to become significant Android smartdevice player is path to success?
Did you miss the "Blue Ocean" part where they obsessively AVOID actual competition?

KBG29 said:

First of all, carrying multiple portable devices is already rediculous in as it is. 

Carrying your phone around is ridiculous?  Are you serious? 

KBG29 said:

Absolutly. Consoles and handhelds do not exist in a vacuum. The Vita and 3DS are direct competitors to Phones and Tablets, and they did not adapt with the times, and it is for that reason that they have sold 80M units compaired to the 240M+ that PSP and DS sold. I did not want to see the same mistake happen again with the Switch, but it appears it has.

And you think that by recreating feature set of smartphone/tablets Nintendo will magically sell 240M+?  
Look, people now have option for casual gaming on smartphone that they will have anyways for phone and app features.
Being ANOTHER Android tablet does not mean those customers return, because they now have options that didn't exist before.
240M numbers existed when there was no other option, so there is nothing Nintendo can do to make those numbers return.
Seriously, if you want to make personal complaint, fair enough, but enough with conflating that with 240M sales potential.  Get real.
Honestly, the need to conflate your personal needs/wants with mass/universal issues to give validity to your self is cringe inducing.

KBG29 said:

The problem here is in many places Wifi hotspots are not allowed due to data sensativity. Many businesses don't allow employees to create their own hotspot, doing so can lead to suspension up to termination.

And many businesses aren't going to allow employees to play video games at work.  
Tough shit, but Nintendo does not design products around potential regulations businesses place on their employees.
This isn't even a coherent argument, it's just more "Well I feel like whining, so let's toss this in too".

KBG29 said:

It honestly blows me away every time I have this discussion on gaming forums.
People seriously don't want gaming devices to survive. 

Nah, you're just a self-pitying victim who puts forth crazy demands that world conform to your vision or you will pity yourself more.

KBG29 said:

I absolutly hate the idea of one company making all of the decisions for everyone, having zero option if you don't like they way they are conducting business. This is exactly what we have right now on PC, and basically what we have with Apple and Googles mirror ecosystems in mobile. 

And yet nowhere in this thread have you even suggested a means to go beyond that, having LTE connection does not do that.
Most people assumed if you wanted tablet functionality on Switch you were talking about Android at least in non-Google variant.
Because the usefulness of multipurpose computer is in application availability which are crafted to target dominant OS.
In fact there are competing OS out there, e.g. Sailfish which is Finnish-Russian OS, though it also offers Android App compatability.
Are you even aware of that OS?  Do you use it or others?  
Or do you just drag all your myriad complaints into creating some false expectation here?
Because Nintendo + game consoles at large have always been the most closed system, so how can anybody "EXPECT" different here?
Of course, if you are engaged in self-pity excercise setting yourself up for dissapointment is the name of the game.  
bSo congrats, you won.

No need for 3g or lte. Would make thinks unnecessary more expensive. This is great news.

Also..would a power bank work? Need to wait for further info.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

No upgradable battery is the only problem.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

I have no problem with either of these so called issues. I don't want to pay for mobile data would rather use wifi or offline gaming and as long as I can use usb power banks I have no issue. I have 2 20,000mAh powerbanks that should be ample for the longest gaming sessions when travelling and no usb or mains available.

Am I the only person that's hard pressed to think about what I would even use 4g on the switch for? Downloading games would use way too much data, online would be too inconsistent and choppy, I have a phone so I wouldn't text people on it. Only thing I can really think of is like checking the eshop to see what's on sale if I happen to take my switch to work. Hell work is the only place I would use 4g if I happen to have my switch but that's not exactly the place where I would want to get deep into an online gaming session

mutantsushi said:
outlawauron said:

Nintendo is competing against phones and tablets whether they want to admit or not.

Reasons why people use smartphone/tables: phone calls, text messaging, Android/iOS apps... 
None of which apply to Switch.  Why are you expecting it to basically BE an Android device with N games and controls?
You think that Nintendo aiming to become significant Android smartdevice player is path to success?
Did you miss the "Blue Ocean" part where they obsessively AVOID actual competition?

Yes, I am expecting Nintendo to actually put forth a device that can stand up to the competition. I was expecting them to finally bring a product to the market that had Calling, Text, and non gaming apps. As a fan of games, I wanted a mobile gaming device that had a chance to bring back a larger market.

KBG29 said:

First of all, carrying multiple portable devices is already rediculous in as it is. 

Carrying your phone around is ridiculous?  Are you serious? 

Yes, if you have to carry a phone around, for the simple fact, that handhled makers refuse to offer calling and texting at a bare minimum, that is rediculous. Carrying two devices with 5in screens that do 99% the same thing, except one can make calls, and the other can't play games, is stupid. I get carrying a Phone and a laptop, or a handheld and a laptop, they offer a diferent level of computing, and tasks. Carrying a Phone and a Handheld, just because both phone manufacturers and handheld manufactures refuse to create a market to eliminate the issue is stupid.

KBG29 said:

Absolutly. Consoles and handhelds do not exist in a vacuum. The Vita and 3DS are direct competitors to Phones and Tablets, and they did not adapt with the times, and it is for that reason that they have sold 80M units compaired to the 240M+ that PSP and DS sold. I did not want to see the same mistake happen again with the Switch, but it appears it has.

And you think that by recreating feature set of smartphone/tablets Nintendo will magically sell 240M+?  
Look, people now have option for casual gaming on smartphone that they will have anyways for phone and app features.
Being ANOTHER Android tablet does not mean those customers return, because they now have options that didn't exist before.
240M numbers existed when there was no other option, so there is nothing Nintendo can do to make those numbers return.
Seriously, if you want to make personal complaint, fair enough, but enough with conflating that with 240M sales potential.  Get real.
Honestly, the need to conflate your personal needs/wants with mass/universal issues to give validity to your self is cringe inducing.

If Switch or a new PS Phone came out, they would blow past that 240 million mark. The only reason smartphones are selling the way they are is because their is no other option. Give people the option for a more functional mobile device, and you will have a massive shift in the mobile space. Android and iOS are not the end all be all.

I can't even believe you are saying there is nothing Nintendo can do to get back to 240M. That is the most defeated statement I have possibly ever heard. Seriously? Sure, then why should anyone ever start up a new business or question the norm? What is the point of innovation, and progress? Everything that is big today started because someone decided to make a change, and challange the normal thinking. Cars were laugh at, movies with sound was thought to be absolutly outragous, TV's in homes was a fad. What it comes down to is if people are willing, better days lay ahead. Life is not about this has never happend before, so why even try, it is about discovery and betterment.

KBG29 said:

The problem here is in many places Wifi hotspots are not allowed due to data sensativity. Many businesses don't allow employees to create their own hotspot, doing so can lead to suspension up to termination.

And many businesses aren't going to allow employees to play video games at work.  
Tough shit, but Nintendo does not design products around potential regulations businesses place on their employees.
This isn't even a coherent argument, it's just more "Well I feel like whining, so let's toss this in too".

This is just one of a thousand reasons why wifi and wifi hotspots are not a reasonable substitue for cellular networking. 

mutantsushi said:
KBG29 said:

It honestly blows me away every time I have this discussion on gaming forums.
People seriously don't want gaming devices to survive. 

Nah, you're just a self-pitying victim who puts forth crazy demands that world conform to your vision or you will pity yourself more.

As above, having ideas for a better future often lead to criticism, I humbly accept your critique.

KBG29 said:

I absolutly hate the idea of one company making all of the decisions for everyone, having zero option if you don't like they way they are conducting business. This is exactly what we have right now on PC, and basically what we have with Apple and Googles mirror ecosystems in mobile. 

And yet nowhere in this thread have you even suggested a means to go beyond that, having LTE connection does not do that.
Most people assumed if you wanted tablet functionality on Switch you were talking about Android at least in non-Google variant.
Because the usefulness of multipurpose computer is in application availability which are crafted to target dominant OS.
In fact there are competing OS out there, e.g. Sailfish which is Finnish-Russian OS, though it also offers Android App compatability.
Are you even aware of that OS?  Do you use it or others?  
Or do you just drag all your myriad complaints into creating some false expectation here?
Because Nintendo + game consoles at large have always been the most closed system, so how can anybody "EXPECT" different here?
Of course, if you are engaged in self-pity excercise setting yourself up for dissapointment is the name of the game.  
bSo congrats, you won.

Like I said at the top. I expected Nintendo to fianlly start to make a product that can compete in the market today. I was looking for a product that had evolved with the time, and would offer a viable option outside of the current dominate OS's. Why do I expect something different after years of closed systems? Because the massive reduction in unit sales of home consoles and handhelds should be an absolutly frightening sight for all involved in the industry. The companies behind this should be adjusting their business model to succeed in a changing market. I would never expect a company to simply ride their bad business decisions straight out of business. So to you I would ask, why would you expect Nintendo to continue down a failing business path?

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

OdinHades said:
Pemalite said:
The only reason not to include mobile 4G/3G is to cut costs.

No mobile data, severely underclocked hardware, low 720P screen.

If you can't upgrade the battery, then I would hope the device is water proof.
And if it isn't water proof, then it is a stupid design decision, lithium battery's have a finite life-span, it is a matter of *when* they fail, not if.

My 13-year-old GBA SP runs just fine! Sure, the battery isn't as strong as it used to be, but I can still squeeze 5-6 hours out of that lil' sucker. Never changed the battery. 

On top of that, I'm sure you will be able to change the battery. It will be just a little more complicated. Just like with the Dual Shock 3 and 4. On paper, you can't change the battery. I did it multiple times though. When a replaceable battery is that important to you, 5 minutes of work with a screwdriver shouldn't be too bad.

About 4G: Sucks for every gamer who still hasn't a smartphone. Both of them. 

Then you haven't cycled the battery enough times for it to fail.
Again it is a matter of *when* it will fail. Not *if*.
Location plays a big part as well, you will likely get less battery cycles in Australia than the USA due to higher average ambient temperatures.

Besides, the SP only took a single screw and the battery could easily be replaced. - This I am fine with.
But I would rather the battery cover not be screwed in at all, so the battery can be hot swapped on long trips.

The issue I have is if they took a mobile phone approach where you need to take the entire device apart just to replace the battery, it's a bullshit move. I hate it in Phones. I will hate it in the Switch. - Nintendo needs to give people more reasons to buy the Switch, not less.
People need to stop being apologetic towards company's/products for silly moves that impact customers.

As for 4G. I like it when all my devices have it's own Sim Card. My laptop has it's own Sim. My Phone has it's own Sim. My Tablet has it's own Sim. - But they all share the same data plan for one fixed monthly cost.

Then I don't have to use my Phone to hot-spot which wastes power and time and is simply inconvenient. - What if I just wish to walk outside, go down to the Beach with the Switch, while my Phone is at home on charge?

The device is advertised as being super Portable, living in a seaside country town, Wifi isn't exactly everywhere.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

twintail said:
Cloudman said:
The battery switching being a lacking feature does seem weak, but is 3G/LTE for the system really a big deal..?

Some ppl want consistent online access.

What reason would people have to need constant internet on their gaming device?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread