By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like no 3G/LTE or Upgradable Battery for Nintendo Switch =(

collint0101 said:
Am I the only person that's hard pressed to think about what I would even use 4g on the switch for? Downloading games would use way too much data, online would be too inconsistent and choppy, I have a phone so I wouldn't text people on it. Only thing I can really think of is like checking the eshop to see what's on sale if I happen to take my switch to work. Hell work is the only place I would use 4g if I happen to have my switch but that's not exactly the place where I would want to get deep into an online gaming session

Can we give up this notion that 3G and 4G are not suitable for online gaming? I have used 3G to stream games and play online via PS Now and Remote Play for years, and it works just fine with a good connection. 4G is even better, and can hold up with even as little as two or three bars. Honestly anyone with a console connected to a Comcast or Time Warner Modem Router is in the same boat. When I had my Comcast M/R I was only getting 10 -12Mbps with over 100 Ping when connected over wifi. After I upgraded to a Netgear M/R that went to 45 to 50Mbps and 20 Ping. When I was messing around with the tethering on my phone I was getting 15 - 20Mbps and 50 Ping. This is just a bad excuse to try and keep believing wifi only handhelds are still feasable.

Cloudman said:
twintail said:

Some ppl want consistent online access.

What reason would people have to need constant internet on their gaming device?

For both of you. Online gaming, online leader boards, Trophys, Freinds List, in game music streaming, up to date rosters/content, this list literaly goes on, and on, and on. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I'm surprised people were really expecting this

Captain_Yuri said:
outlawauron said:

You really don't understand how people use their phones in this case. My parents know how to tether to their phones.

Not having 4G/LTE isn't a big deal imo, but it would be nice to have because Nintendo is competing against phones and tablets whether they want to admit or not.

Umm... How does your parents knowing how to tether their phones make me not understand how people use their phones? Our experience can be different with the subject sure but saying that I don't understand sounds a bit nonsense. I rarely have seen people use their phones for hotspot at all, specially since phone data is at a premium in Canada (for example) with 1gb of data per month for $70/month. Sure we have Wind that has "unlimited" data for $45/month but their network speeds is like 3mbps down if you are lucky and you get throttled heavily after 5gb of usage. And their reception isn't very good at all with the exception of some selected areas. This is in vancouver, one of the most populated cities in Canada.

I personally like it this way so I don't have to deal with people playing games with terrible reception. If you have ever played Smash Bros on the wiiU which uses p2p and you are matched with people that have horrible wifi, you would understand why I am glad the Switch doesn't have this. While I understand the benefits, all it would result in is more people complaining about how playing online sucks while in reality with p2p games, one or more people just have a shit connection.

Edit: It will be like this but more frequently... (skip to 53 seconds) Do you want to play matches like this more frequently? I sure don't...

I'm saying that tethering your phone and using it as a source for your wifi is very common. The comment about my parents was in jest because how simple and common knowledge it is.

As for poor signal and slow speeds, that'll happens regardless of the options on Switch.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Umm... How does your parents knowing how to tether their phones make me not understand how people use their phones? Our experience can be different with the subject sure but saying that I don't understand sounds a bit nonsense. I rarely have seen people use their phones for hotspot at all, specially since phone data is at a premium in Canada (for example) with 1gb of data per month for $70/month. Sure we have Wind that has "unlimited" data for $45/month but their network speeds is like 3mbps down if you are lucky and you get throttled heavily after 5gb of usage. And their reception isn't very good at all with the exception of some selected areas. This is in vancouver, one of the most populated cities in Canada.

I personally like it this way so I don't have to deal with people playing games with terrible reception. If you have ever played Smash Bros on the wiiU which uses p2p and you are matched with people that have horrible wifi, you would understand why I am glad the Switch doesn't have this. While I understand the benefits, all it would result in is more people complaining about how playing online sucks while in reality with p2p games, one or more people just have a shit connection.

Edit: It will be like this but more frequently... (skip to 53 seconds) Do you want to play matches like this more frequently? I sure don't...

I'm saying that tethering your phone and using it as a source for your wifi is very common. The comment about my parents was in jest because how simple and common knowledge it is.

As for poor signal and slow speeds, that'll happens regardless of the options on Switch.

I doubt its that common. Maybe in places where you get unlimited data sure but in places you don't of which there are many, it is certainly not. My parents for example don't even know what it is. 

The point is that it will happen more frequently if 3g/LTE was a thing on switch as opposed if there isn't. And I would rather not have slow downs like that be a more common thing than it already is. 

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
outlawauron said:

I doubt its that common. Maybe in places where you get unlimited data sure but in places you don't of which there are many, it is certainly not. My parents for example don't even know what it is. 

The point is that it will happen more frequently if 3g/LTE was a thing on switch as opposed if there isn't. And I would rather not have slow downs like that be a more common thing than it already is. 

Have to think outside of your Canadian box.

Unlimited data for cell phones is available in virtually every city in the US. Not by every provider, but there are several where it is.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Have to think outside of your Canadian box.

Unlimited data for cell phones is available in virtually every city in the US. Not by every provider, but there are several where it is.

Yes but US isn't exactly global now is it? Granted neither is Canada but I doubt majority of the world has cheap, affordable unlimited data plans. And how much do those unlimited plans cost anyway?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

KBG29 said:
Bajablo said:

And the resoning beeing for the vita usage is it has 3g?... (not the games?)
you sure don't sound like you were gonna get it anyway, since the problems you state are only a problem if you allow them to be.. also.. phone discussion? :P

The reason I will keep using my Vita on the go is because it can be used as a phone, and it still has the best mobile games on the market, and the ability to play PS3 and PS4 games via 3G streaming.

At this point I still plan to get a Switch, it is just highly disapointing that the portable aspect of it is going to be absolutly worthless. It is going from a device that I had ambitions to use for hours a day, to a device, that I will only have time for at home, when 1st party Nintendo games come out.

You dont have a phone?... do you actually use your vita as a phone? (if you do.. you're nuts.. truly)
concidering that a vita has a 2210mAh battery you should be looking @ ~2,5-3h of streaming time? since a 3g module usually has a rating of 500mAh, plus screen etc.

i would guess you have the same battery-life on a switch. so you have to have a battery pack / charger with you regardless of what system you are playing on if you wanna go on for longer.

and tbh. are you realy streaimg your PS3/4 games when you are out and walking about? or are you just using that to upsell the product regardless of you using it or not? (if you do.. kudos, but so often ppl pull up random features they don't use as 'this is why this is better' )

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Bajablo said:
KBG29 said:

The reason I will keep using my Vita on the go is because it can be used as a phone, and it still has the best mobile games on the market, and the ability to play PS3 and PS4 games via 3G streaming.

At this point I still plan to get a Switch, it is just highly disapointing that the portable aspect of it is going to be absolutly worthless. It is going from a device that I had ambitions to use for hours a day, to a device, that I will only have time for at home, when 1st party Nintendo games come out.

You dont have a phone?... do you actually use your vita as a phone? (if you do.. you're nuts.. truly)
concidering that a vita has a 2210mAh battery you should be looking @ ~2,5-3h of streaming time? since a 3g module usually has a rating of 500mAh, plus screen etc.

i would guess you have the same battery-life on a switch. so you have to have a battery pack / charger with you regardless of what system you are playing on if you wanna go on for longer.

and tbh. are you realy streaimg your PS3/4 games when you are out and walking about? or are you just using that to upsell the product regardless of you using it or not? (if you do.. kudos, but so often ppl pull up random features they don't use as 'this is why this is better' )

I currently don't have a phone. I did have an Xperia X, but I ended up giving it to my dad, because he needed a new phone. I only bought the X because Skype was not going to get regular updates ion Vita anymore, but so far it continues to solider on.

Yes, the battery only lasts about 6 hours if I stream music off TuneIn to my Bluetooth speaker. I do have a charger at work that I keep it plugged into after lunch. Typically I start using it around 14:30 to listen to music, I have a break at 17:00, and I either game of browse the web, then I have lunch at 19:00, this is when I use remote play or PS Now, after lunch I plug it in and leave it plugged in tell the end of shift 23:30. When I get home I typically use it tell about 05:00 for some games, e-mail, and web browsing if I put PS Vue on in the back gorund.

So yeah I use the game streaming. It is really a great feature as long as you have a good connection.

Also, I thought I should add that I only keep skype on if I have important business I have to tend to. Otherwise, I just have everything go straight to voice mail, and I get an e-mail notification if someone has called. I also use PSN for texting. When I had my repiping and heat pump installed, I had both contacts download PS Messanger since I didn't have texting. Everyone else I know either messages me on PSN or Email. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

mobile data could be an add-on anyway and plug in via usb for those who want it. Just because its not built in doesn't mean it can't be added. I certainly don't need it though I only use prepay mobile without a monthly contract and if I'm in a restaurant, in a shopping centre or on a train there is free wifi available.

KBG29 said:
Cloudman said:

For both of you. Online gaming, online leader boards, Trophys, Freinds List, in game music streaming, up to date rosters/content, this list literaly goes on, and on, and on. 

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

Variety of reasons.

Ppl have tons of devices with constant internet access.... consoles, to phones, to even everyday house appliances. 

There are a lot of benefits to having a constant internet access when required on a handheld device.

Not really for me, since I barely play handhelds to begin with, but I can see why someone would want it. 

Honestly, the only reason I would see the Switch needing constant online would be the option to play online, and even then it's not really necessary. Sure, playing online anywhere would be cool, but it is just as fine to play single player games, or play coop with someone on it. Portables have been fine like this since the beginning, so I don't think it suddenly needs that to be a good system. Also, I don't think because many devices are getting internet access means that consoles need them as well. Perhaps it would be nice, but if it's more of a hinderance to the system, there I don't really see any need for it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread