By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like no 3G/LTE or Upgradable Battery for Nintendo Switch =(

Chazore said:
KBG29 said:

You do know, that if Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can't get people to use their platforms for more than gaming that they will eventually die right? Eventually Amazon, Apple, and Google will take over and religate games as a second class activity. All killing PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo does, is mean people will be playing lower quality games on their multipurpose devices, such as the Apple TV, Amozon Fire TV, iProduct, or android product. 

If we stripped Netflix, Hulu, Blu-ray, web browsing, music, photos, videos, and the rest of the non gaming features from PS4 and XBO, this market would already be dead. There is nothing gloriuos about a games only device, and championing that agenda is exactly what is going to kill this hobby. The additude gamers have towards progress in gaming hardware is going to be the death of this industry.

1. Your vision is not the objective future. Like it or not, people are still buyign MS/Sony/Nintendo systems.

2. Mobile is not the future for all. Like it or not here are 7 billion and more on this planet, all of them don't indulge in mobile gaming.

The market wouldn't be dead if you stripped features that we already have with DVD/Blu Ray players, desktop's, laptops and even Tablets. You have this very, very weird obseession with having this godlike materful all in one supercomputer with a one world type eco system, one that you will never want to leave. You have got to abandon such an obsession, because it's really not healthy.

Your ideas kill others, have you ever once thought about that at all?. Your glorious master future pushes other people like me away. Your wish for progress is a step backwards for otherrs. I don't want mobile gaming taking over absolutely everything, that can go burn in a fire for all I care. Your desired future where consoles kill PC's can go as well.

Of course people are still buying devices. There will always be a small amount of people that buy them. The big reason PS4 and XBO are selling so well is the multimedia features. You say that they could do without it, but I know dozens of people with XBO and PS4, but I only know 3 people that would have them if they didn't have Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, Netflix, and a Blu-ray player. So many people only use the console as a Blu-ray/Media player, and only play a very limited amount of games. Take that away, and you would loose half or more of the market in a snap, because those poeple, would just go to browser based games or mobile, and only play the couple of games they do, when they are at a freinds, or by barrowing a friends system. 

I do not want PC or Smartphones dead, but I do want options in the market. Right now, the market is getting smaller and smaller and I don't like that at all. I do not want mobile to rule over everything. I want a wide range of products from multiple manufactures, that cover High end home, mid range home, low range home, portable home, and mobile.

I absolutly hate the idea of one company making all of the decisions for everyone, having zero option if you don't like they way they are conducting business. This is exactly what we have right now on PC, and basically what we have with Apple and Googles mirror ecosystems in mobile. 

My idea is not in any way to push people away, and has no deadly impact on others. My vision is a highly competitive market place with many options, for wide open ecosystems, partially closed ecosystems, and fully closed and secure ecosystems. Ecosystems that make development easier, and create massive value for the end consumer.

burninmylight said:
@KBG29: You're already going to carry a smartphone on you no matter what; whether the Switch has 3G/4G functionality has no bearing on that. Therefore, there is no reason you can't just use your smartphone as a mobile router. I (and most people) ain't paying an extra monthly fee for a data plan on a gaming console. Most people who have an extensive amount of time for multiplayer gaming probably aren't doing on the go in an area without access to WiFi anyway.

And like Cap'n Yuri said, if you've ever tried to play Smash (or any P2P game for that matter) with someone with a shitty connection, you'd know how much of a blessing in disguise this really is.

I don't carry a slabphone with me. I have a 3G Vita, and it is fully capable of doing 90% of the tasks a smartphone does via native apps or through the web browser.

If the Switch had 3G and LTE I could upgrade from the Vita, and I would still not need a slabphone.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Bajablo said:

wifi from phone hotspot.. and a USB battery
easy solutions to your 'problem'

Easier solution, continue to use my 3G Vita, because it appears mobile/handheld tech decided to come to a dead stop, and then proceed to reverse over the last five years. It blows me away that my Phone from 5 years ago is still a more versitle, and entertaining device than the latest Xperia I had.

And the resoning beeing for the vita usage is it has 3g?... (not the games?)
you sure don't sound like you were gonna get it anyway, since the problems you state are only a problem if you allow them to be.. also.. phone discussion? :P

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Bajablo said:
KBG29 said:

Easier solution, continue to use my 3G Vita, because it appears mobile/handheld tech decided to come to a dead stop, and then proceed to reverse over the last five years. It blows me away that my Phone from 5 years ago is still a more versitle, and entertaining device than the latest Xperia I had.

And the resoning beeing for the vita usage is it has 3g?... (not the games?)
you sure don't sound like you were gonna get it anyway, since the problems you state are only a problem if you allow them to be.. also.. phone discussion? :P

The reason I will keep using my Vita on the go is because it can be used as a phone, and it still has the best mobile games on the market, and the ability to play PS3 and PS4 games via 3G streaming.

At this point I still plan to get a Switch, it is just highly disapointing that the portable aspect of it is going to be absolutly worthless. It is going from a device that I had ambitions to use for hours a day, to a device, that I will only have time for at home, when 1st party Nintendo games come out.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I'll only buy the Switch if it's as powerful as a Scorpio, makes phone calls, has 5G, gets all 3rd party games, can toast bread in less than a minute (but not too toasted), and sells for $99. 

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

KBG29 said:
superchunk said:
Why would you expect cellular connectivity? Wi-Fi is all it requires. Companies don't put that in tablets either normally.

Becuase Handhelds compete with Smartphones and Tablets, and without it they are nearly at the point of extinction.

It honestly blows me away every time I have this discussion on gaming forums. People seriously don't want gaming devices to survive. Every time this industry trys to progress it recieves backlash from the gaming community. Now, people complain about the lack of quality games, and new experiences. Well were did that come from? Gamers unreal expectations, that somehow, magically, games will be made for the 10 Million people that are willing to by dedicated gaming devices. Not only will those games be made, but they will be incredible experiences. 

Sorry, but that is not going to happen. If we continue to take a stance against the growth of the industry, then there will be not future for great gaming devices. We will be stuck with over priced devices, that also happen to play really bad games. But, hey, as far as I see from the hate on Motion, VR, Wii, PS3, PS Vita, and Xbox One, that is exactly what the gaming community wants.

If you are going to compare this to a mobile device, then it would be more similar in use case to a tablet, not a smartphone. Consumers are not going to choose NS to be in their pockets over a smartphone even if NS did have cellular connectivity. But a tablet is something that may very well be more or less a direct competitor depending on how Nintendo supports applications and/or is based on Android (if at all).

Tablets are also all the apps but no cellular. That is the expectation to the masses. Cellular enabled tablets are not the big sellers as consumers don't care about that on a tablet-like device.

1. They don't want to add a new line and its cost to their cellular company just for a tablet.
2. They don't want to pay more for the cellular enabled version.
3. They don't want to have shorter battery lives due to the additional cellular radio drain.
4. Nintendo wouldn't want the additional cost and complications with supporting differing cellular bands for the whole world. Most hardware manufactures create different versions of the same phone to sell in different markets just to solve this disparity.

It just doesn't make sense. Especially, when all you need to do is enable your wifi hotspot on your smartphone that is already in your pocket.

It isn't hampering growth or otherwise. Its just doesn't make sense from a cost, complexity perspective to Nintendo (or any hardware manufacturer) and tablets have already demonstrated that consumers don't want it in that type of device.

When cellular is a flat rate for any number of devices and world-wide is using the same common technology, then we'll see it become common place like wifi radios. Until then, any manufacturer will bet on wifi and consumers smart enough to turn on their phone's hotspot.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

Of course people are still buying devices. There will always be a small amount of people that buy them. The big reason PS4 and XBO are selling so well is the multimedia features. You say that they could do without it, but I know dozens of people with XBO and PS4, but I only know 3 people that would have them if they didn't have Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, Netflix, and a Blu-ray player. So many people only use the console as a Blu-ray/Media player, and only play a very limited amount of games. Take that away, and you would loose half or more of the market in a snap, because those poeple, would just go to browser based games or mobile, and only play the couple of games they do, when they are at a freinds, or by barrowing a friends system. 

I do not want PC or Smartphones dead, but I do want options in the market. Right now, the market is getting smaller and smaller and I don't like that at all. I do not want mobile to rule over everything. I want a wide range of products from multiple manufactures, that cover High end home, mid range home, low range home, portable home, and mobile.

I absolutly hate the idea of one company making all of the decisions for everyone, having zero option if you don't like they way they are conducting business. This is exactly what we have right now on PC, and basically what we have with Apple and Googles mirror ecosystems in mobile. 

Those 3 people you know that would play without media are the ones who are primarily buying the consoels as is, for the games. They are not the "minority" you claim them to be at all.

Yes, yes you do. They don't serve the primary purposes you want the consoles to serve, they aren't in your eco-system dream of yours and as such, they are "relics" of the past, especially when you pair them up against your "evolution" dream. You want options, but only when they serve to fuel your dream and nothing more, rather than actually loving to use the other options, loving the fact that you can exist with multiple eco-systems, rather than wanting to live in a single one forever.

The market isn't getting smaller and smaller. If you take a look at the big picture, it's getting bigger and bigger. You already have the options of console, handheld, mobile, laptops, tablets and desktops, all of which serve their own functions and provide their own services.

It's not what's currently going on with PC at all. PC is an open platform and as such it has Linux, Apple and Windows.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Slarvax said:

I'll only buy the Switch if it's as powerful as a Scorpio, makes phone calls, has 5G, gets all 3rd party games, can toast bread in less than a minute (but not too toasted), and sells for $99. 

Well with those specs, you bet it will toast bread. Might even bake some eggs. I'm actually greatful that it doesn't use 3G/LTE, that version of the device would increase costs and flop so hard. 

Slarvax said:

Too expensive. It must be $1 and not hold AssCreed scope.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Acevil said:
Slarvax said:

Well with those specs, you bet it will toast bread. Might even bake some eggs. I'm actually greatful that it doesn't use 3G/LTE, that version of the device would increase costs and flop so hard. 

You could put it in the middle of the floor, close the door, poor some water on it, and BAM! Instant sauna. That would be great for me after an intense workout.

The battery switching being a lacking feature does seem weak, but is 3G/LTE for the system really a big deal..?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread