By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like no 3G/LTE or Upgradable Battery for Nintendo Switch =(

fatslob-:O said:
The downplay is real ...

Mobile connectivity can be used to enhance game functionality in the absence of wifi access much like how people back in the day were trying to make use of disc storage ... (Could come real handy when a game is relying on GPS tracking.)

Not at all surprised for them to be behind the curve, their fine with putting in a useless stereoscopic 3D display but their not going to one up relevant gaming functionality on what THEIR FORMER COMPETITOR had for YEARS ?

Nintendo is going to aim for a higher end experience by sacrificing portability yet at the same time their shooting themselves in the foot by not offering high end connectivity ...

For god's sake, it doesn't even have to be mandatory but at least let the consumers have an optional SKU so that they could get some LTE support ?

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Jranation said:
KBG29 said:

The problem is, the few people that use it on the go will have to tether with their smartphone, which is connected via 4G, and that will cause even more problems.

I wonder how many 3ds users does that? 

The Vita had it. Did it work? 

The orginal Vita had a 3G option that was severly limited. It was AT&T exclusive at a time when AT&T was not doing so hot. It did not offer any network connectivity for games, and has a limit of 20MB downloads over 3G to this day. 

With that said, even with 3G the Vita can do some impressive things. You can use Remote Play and PS Now over 3G. The apps say wifi is required, however your can force your way in, and once connected, it works quite well when a good connection is available. You can also use a few of the video streaming apps. Crackle, MLB.TV, and Snag films all work over 3G. Netflix and Hulu are still restricted, but I am guessing this is due to them being launch apps, and not being kept up to date over the years. You can also call land lines and cell phones, or even video chat over Skype, although this feature is no longer getting updates, so it will eventually stop. 

In the beggining, you could actually stream music over Music Unlimited, with Skype in the background while playing a game. If you recieved a call, the music and the game would be paused, if you answered, and then they would resume once you ended the call. Vita really was quite amazing back in 2011, it is only a shell of its former self today, but it was a great example of how amazing handhled gaming can be. It is an absolute shame that 5 years later, we don't have any device on the market that can so this, and even new entries look to be less advanced.

Superquagsire said:
Why don't you just use your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect that to the switch? Problem solved.

Not really. Daisy chaining is not a good answer to such a simple problem. First of all, carrying multiple portable devices is already rediculous in as it is. Second, one device being purposly gimped from the manufacturer, is flat out ludicrous. Seriosuly folks, we are talking about a device launched in 2017, this is not 2004 when a Wifi enable portable device is an amazing feat.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Captain_Yuri said:

1) Lol wut? That doesn't even make any sense... The only way that people will play online now is via wifi which has extremely less lathency than LTE. I doubt majority of people even use their phones as wifi hotspots to begin with except in rare cases and I highly doubt they will do it with the Switch.

2) Or better yet, they won't at all so the rest of us won't suffer. How is it going to be more of an issue for the online gaming community? Cause guess what? Now we don't have to deal with people with horrible reception lagging all our games. If you mean chatting with our friends, people have phones anyway. This isn't meant to be a phone replacement by any means.

3) Yea cause the 3ds totally didn't take off without 3g/LTE. And it does have simple network connectivity, its called wifi... Guess what, the Vita had a version that had 3g connectivity which was AT&T exclusive. Guess how well the vita sold? Oh thats right, horribly. Guess how much the 3ds sold without that functionality... A shit ton better. 3G/LTE isn't going to determine the success of the device, the games and other things will. 

You really don't understand how people use their phones in this case. My parents know how to tether to their phones.

Not having 4G/LTE isn't a big deal imo, but it would be nice to have because Nintendo is competing against phones and tablets whether they want to admit or not.

Umm... How does your parents knowing how to tether their phones make me not understand how people use their phones? Our experience can be different with the subject sure but saying that I don't understand sounds a bit nonsense. I rarely have seen people use their phones for hotspot at all, specially since phone data is at a premium in Canada (for example) with 1gb of data per month for $70/month. Sure we have Wind that has "unlimited" data for $45/month but their network speeds is like 3mbps down if you are lucky and you get throttled heavily after 5gb of usage. And their reception isn't very good at all with the exception of some selected areas. This is in vancouver, one of the most populated cities in Canada.

I personally like it this way so I don't have to deal with people playing games with terrible reception. If you have ever played Smash Bros on the wiiU which uses p2p and you are matched with people that have horrible wifi, you would understand why I am glad the Switch doesn't have this. While I understand the benefits, all it would result in is more people complaining about how playing online sucks while in reality with p2p games, one or more people just have a shit connection.

Edit: It will be like this but more frequently... (skip to 53 seconds) Do you want to play matches like this more frequently? I sure don't...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Miyamotoo said:

I dont see any problem, Switch in portable mode is handheld console not phone, same like 3DS, Vita or any previous handheld console. Saying that very few people is going to use Switch (handheld console) outside house because doesn't have 3G/LTE doesn't make any sense.

Also nobody really expected 3G/LTE in Switch because in portable mode is handheld console, so I really don't understand your disappointment, you acting like that was very expected or must have feature for handheld console, and that of course wasn't case for both those things.

If this really such a bit issue for you, you can always use your phone as a mobile hotspot, but dont act like this will be some kind problem for general market, beacuse its not.

The problem is people gamers are expecting very little from gaming devices, but the general public is expecting them to be just as functional as the next device. Things like Netflix, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, Pandora, Spotify, Blu-ray Playback, and a web browser as absolutly vital to any device, games device or not. 3G/LTE are in the same league as these apps and services. People expect a mobile device to be connected in 2017, and lmited wifi availablity is not an acceptable answer. So will tether, but most people don't want that hassel on a regular basis, or can not use that due too restrictions.

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Superquagsire said:
Why don't you just use your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect that to the switch? Problem solved.

Or just buy a 4G mobile hotspot. I have one and that little thing has 30Mbps. Its a full blown router, you can port forward even.
sc94597 said:

I don't care because I use my cell phone as a mobile hotspot to play games on the go anyway. My 3DS and PSVITA are connected to my unlimited Sprint data plan this way.

The problem here is in many places Wifi hotspots are not allowed due to data sensativity. Many businesses don't allow employees to create their own hotspot, doing so can lead to suspension up to termination.

outlawauron said:

You really don't understand how people use their phones in this case. My parents know how to tether to their phones.

Not having 4G/LTE isn't a big deal imo, but it would be nice to have because Nintendo is competing against phones and tablets whether they want to admit or not.

Absolutly. Consoles and handhelds do not exist in a vacuum. The Vita and 3DS are direct competitors to Phones and Tablets, and they did not adapt with the times, and it is for that reason that they have sold 80M units compaired to the 240M+ that PSP and DS sold. I did not want to see the same mistake happen again with the Switch, but it appears it has.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I dont see any problem, Switch in portable mode is handheld console not phone, same like 3DS, Vita or any previous handheld console. Saying that very few people is going to use Switch (handheld console) outside house because doesn't have 3G/LTE doesn't make any sense.

Also nobody really expected 3G/LTE in Switch because in portable mode is handheld console, so I really don't understand your disappointment, you acting like that was very expected or must have feature for handheld console, and that of course wasn't case for both those things.

If this really such a bit issue for you, you can always use your phone as a mobile hotspot, but dont act like this will be some kind problem for general market, beacuse its not.

The problem is people gamers are expecting very little from gaming devices, but the general public is expecting them to be just as functional as the next device. Things like Netflix, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, Pandora, Spotify, Blu-ray Playback, and a web browser as absolutly vital to any device, games device or not. 3G/LTE are in the same league as these apps and services. People expect a mobile device to be connected in 2017, and lmited wifi availablity is not an acceptable answer. So will tether, but most people don't want that hassel on a regular basis, or can not use that due too restrictions.

Wrong, handheld consoles are not something new, people know what can expect from handheld console,people know they are not phones that they are gaming devices on 1st place. 3DS and Vita proves that 3G/LTE are not important feature for handheld consoles.

shit!! would be great to use online features on the go, not necessarily multiplayer...

it's even worse if you think what that means, that it probably won't have that many online features and applications to make 3G connectivity worthwhile :S

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

Multiple sources are saying that the FTC testing for the Nintendo Switch show no signs of 3G or LTE support, and no way swap for a larger battery.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/12/28/nintendo-switch-to-support-bluetooth-and-5ghz-wi-fi-no-3g-or-lte/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/nintendo-switch-possibly-region-free-does-not-have-3g-or-lte-support-1642707

This is highly dissapointing news to me. The Switch is the first Nintendo console I have been looking forward to for a long time. I still really like the concept, but without any kind of mobile connectivity, I just reall don't see the purpose of this being a portable device. The absolute refusal from both Sony and Nintendo to offer connectivity to their portable devices blows my mind. In a day and age where you can get data plans for the Kitchen sink, this is a major low blow to those that support devices built for games and entertainment.

Hopefully, this is not the full story, and we will learn more come January 12th. I have not fully given up on the Switch, yet, but if it lacks mobile data, then even if I do buy it, it will go from a device I planned to use daily, to a device, I will only use for the rare Nintendo exclusive.

wifi from phone hotspot.. and a USB battery
easy solutions to your 'problem'

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Wasn't there a Vita model with access to 3g?

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Does it matter? I'm out on a daily basis and never see people with 3DS's or Vita's, bet they rarely leave the house.

Qwark said:
Wasn't there a Vita model with access to 3g?

Yup, Vita had 3G version too and nobody really cared about that version.

Mobile hostpot and a battery pack, so easy. I have unlimited data on my phone and I can use the wifi of my apt almost everywhere cause I live in the 21 century :p, so why another bill?