By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like no 3G/LTE or Upgradable Battery for Nintendo Switch =(

Considering how many wifi spots there are in public places and the fact you can use your phone as a hotspot. This is far from an issue.

Around the Network

And this is SUCH an important issue, that you are only raising now BECAUSE?
Nobody else expected inclusion of this because no other handheld has featured them before.
Did that stop people from using handhelds on the go (i.e. their raison d'etre)? Get real.
Re: battery, I'm sure you can use auxiliary battery thru charging port like every other smart device.
But sure, you now will barely use your Switch, unlike your constant usage with your assumed feature set. OK. Cry it out.

You know you have to have expectations to be disappointed. Nobody expected that. Hell, I don't even expect Bluetooth.

If you want choice or consumer friendliness, look somewhere else.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The downplay is real ...

Mobile connectivity can be used to enhance game functionality in the absence of wifi access much like how people back in the day were trying to make use of disc storage ... (Could come real handy when a game is relying on GPS tracking.)

Not at all surprised for them to be behind the curve, their fine with putting in a useless stereoscopic 3D display but their not going to one up relevant gaming functionality on what THEIR FORMER COMPETITOR had for YEARS ?

Nintendo is going to aim for a higher end experience by sacrificing portability yet at the same time their shooting themselves in the foot by not offering high end connectivity ...

For god's sake, it doesn't even have to be mandatory but at least let the consumers have an optional SKU so that they could get some LTE support ?

KBG29 said:

BasilZero said:

No mobile connectivity? That sounds fantastic. Best news we heard about the Switch so far.

Keep it wifi only as a gaming console, keep the mobile data to phones and tablets only and away from console gaming.

The problem is, the few people that use it on the go will have to tether with their smartphone, which is connected via 4G, and that will cause even more problems.

I wonder how many 3ds users does that? 

The Vita had it. Did it work? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Why don't you just use your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect that to the switch? Problem solved.

KBG29 said:

The thing is this adds even an additional layer of latency to things, because now people will have to connect to wifi via there LTE smartphone. 

This is extreamly bad news if true. Without 3G/LTE very few people are ever going to use this thing outside of the house. Those that do will be forced to tether to their phone for online gaming and network features. This will be even more of an issue for Nintendo and the online gaming community.

I don't see Switch taking off without simple network connectivity. If this is true Nintendo has dug themselves a massive hole. The core gaming community may see this as a positive, but from a mass market perspective, this thing has very little potential without mobile network capabilties.

I dont see any problem, Switch in portable mode is handheld console not phone, same like 3DS, Vita or any previous handheld console. Saying that very few people is going to use Switch (handheld console) outside house because doesn't have 3G/LTE doesn't make any sense.

Also nobody really expected 3G/LTE in Switch because in portable mode is handheld console, so I really don't understand your disappointment, you acting like that was very expected or must have feature for handheld console, and that of course wasn't case for both those things.

If this really such a bit issue for you, you can always use your phone as a mobile hotspot, but dont act like this will be some kind problem for general market, beacuse its not.

Superquagsire said:
Why don't you just use your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect that to the switch? Problem solved.

Or just buy a 4G mobile hotspot. I have one and that little thing has 30Mbps. Its a full blown router, you can port forward even.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

I don't care because I use my cell phone as a mobile hotspot to play games on the go anyway. My 3DS and PSVITA are connected to my unlimited Sprint data plan this way.

Captain_Yuri said:
KBG29 said:

1) The thing is this adds even an additional layer of latency to things, because now people will have to connect to wifi via there LTE smartphone. 

2) This is extreamly bad news if true. Without 3G/LTE very few people are ever going to use this thing outside of the house. Those that do will be forced to tether to their phone for online gaming and network features. This will be even more of an issue for Nintendo and the online gaming community.

3) I don't see Switch taking off without simple network connectivity. If this is true Nintendo has dug themselves a massive hole. The core gaming community may see this as a positive, but from a mass market perspective, this thing has very little potential without mobile network capabilties.

1) Lol wut? That doesn't even make any sense... The only way that people will play online now is via wifi which has extremely less lathency than LTE. I doubt majority of people even use their phones as wifi hotspots to begin with except in rare cases and I highly doubt they will do it with the Switch.

2) Or better yet, they won't at all so the rest of us won't suffer. How is it going to be more of an issue for the online gaming community? Cause guess what? Now we don't have to deal with people with horrible reception lagging all our games. If you mean chatting with our friends, people have phones anyway. This isn't meant to be a phone replacement by any means.

3) Yea cause the 3ds totally didn't take off without 3g/LTE. And it does have simple network connectivity, its called wifi... Guess what, the Vita had a version that had 3g connectivity which was AT&T exclusive. Guess how well the vita sold? Oh thats right, horribly. Guess how much the 3ds sold without that functionality... A shit ton better. 3G/LTE isn't going to determine the success of the device, the games and other things will. 

You really don't understand how people use their phones in this case. My parents know how to tether to their phones.

Not having 4G/LTE isn't a big deal imo, but it would be nice to have because Nintendo is competing against phones and tablets whether they want to admit or not.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.