By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Student loans debate - fair game for students?

Everything the goverment touches turns to sh*t.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

I find expensive post high school studies to be unbelievably counter productive.

We live in a society where family, friends and the media keeps pushing this feeling that "you have to keep studying, you have to get that diploma, go to college or you'll work at McDonalds all your life".
And then what happens is that you get a flock of late teens/early twenties schmucks who are unsure of themselves and jadedly say "yeah I guess I'll go" because it's the only thing he's heard of his entire life.

Later they go get "free money" from the government (dear God I ABHOR this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc3Cm_x2mC8&t=6s) to study something unpractical like humanities and end up having nothing to show for it after graduation.

No wonder people laugh at art degrees.

Where I'm from, schools are way more cheap. You can pay in full your yearly tuition if you work full-time during the summer or with very little debt. If you screw up your studies, find that it's not the field for you or something came up that you had to stop altogether it's not as disastrous as it would have been in the States. You can still recover easily.

Not to mention that you can loans are easy to acquire and there are plenty of bursaries options available if you apply yourself at school.

Better public transport and bike paths would reduce the financial burden, cars are a money sink equivalent to a student loan 

The college loan bubble is the next bubble that needs to burst, just like the sub-prime mortgage loan bubble did 8 years ago when the financial industry collapsed.

The federal government should get out of the student loan business altogether, and colleges should be forced to compete in a true free market.  The reason why college tuition is so expensive these says is because colleges can charge whatever they want since A: the government will give loans to literally anybody, whether they can afford the paymets or not, and B: most industries with well paying jobs won't even look at hiring you if you don't have at least a bullshit (BS) college degree.

Gone are the days when people could simply work as a tradesman / apprenticeship right after high school for a few years and eventually work their way up the ladder to a higher position & salary.  Generations before us did it that exact way with no college education and were able to become successful and were able to raise a family on a single income as well, with hardly any debt.  Now kids are forced to take on tens of thousands of dollars of debt before they're even legally able to drink and gamble, and then spend the next decade of their lives trying to dig out from that hole they were forced into when they were still in their teens.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Make em pay every cent.

You took the loan, NEVER should it be forgiven. You made a choice live with it.

Around the Network

Live in Scotland for a while, they get free education. To be fair all UK universities are not that expensive.

My total cost of attendance for medical school is 75K a year, granted it's grad school but the amount of debt I'll be in 4 years is ridiculous...

Universities are largely bloated bureaucracies. They could sack half their staff and still function pretty well. Federal funding and student loans keep degrees costly and Universities bloated and inefficient.

There will be a crash based on student loans and it will cause numerous for profit schools to close. Lets see if lightening strikes twice with a crisis happening with two republican presidents.

WolfpackN64 said:
Abolish tuition fees.

Abolishing could be hard, but I agree that education should be much more attainable for a much larger portion of the population. Taking away the possibility of loans will just further the existing issues, if it keeps going like this, seggregation will continue and we'll effectively have a caste system, where families without financial means are destined to have children and grandchildren without opportunities to climb into a "higher" echelon of society.