By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Student loans debate - fair game for students?

all i know is, i pay $500+ a month in student loans, with nothing to show for it. in 2008 when "the economy crashed", no banks would lend me anymore money even though i have excellent credit, and i missed out on school for a year and half. VERY hard to jump back in after all that time off, plus tuition had gon up and still i didnt have enough money to take all the classes i needed to really be back in. I don't have a fancy job, I'm just work at bestbuy, but if i didn't have student loans i could live like someone who makes $80k a year. my mortage is only $100 more than my loans.....ridiculous.
at 18, all i was told is that i had to have college to get a good job to make it by, i didn't understand loans and all that stuff...it's the biggest mistake of my life.

Around the Network
umegames said:
all i know is, i pay $500+ a month in student loans, with nothing to show for it. in 2008 when "the economy crashed", no banks would lend me anymore money even though i have excellent credit, and i missed out on school for a year and half. VERY hard to jump back in after all that time off, plus tuition had gon up and still i didnt have enough money to take all the classes i needed to really be back in. I don't have a fancy job, I'm just work at bestbuy, but if i didn't have student loans i could live like someone who makes $80k a year. my mortage is only $100 more than my loans.....ridiculous.
at 18, all i was told is that i had to have college to get a good job to make it by, i didn't understand loans and all that stuff...it's the biggest mistake of my life.

That is why I would rather take that huge amount of money and use it to buy rental properties. That way I know I would get something in return. Even if it isn't a whole lot.

College is too expensive and many are getting useless degrees. Simple solution, maybe less people should go to college or find cheaper alternitives.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Yeah...trying to avoid massive student loan debt is why it's taking me so god damn long to get my degree. I pay for my classes out of pocket as I take them it's killing me. It's insane how expensive college has gotten.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

fatslob-:O said:

No solution, most of these adults are know what they're getting themselves into unless you're like these poor suckers ... 

There's a right field to paying off your bills and a wrong field to pay off the bills ...

I'm not really sure if not understand the names given to types of stocks and shares is the issue which ends a lot of people in financial pain right now. Most have the issue of having a negative figure in their bank account and thinking that it's a super idea to get the newest iPhone for themselves and their kids.

Finance options right now are being taken up by people who really are not looking into just how much debt they are in, just all putting stuff off with different "pay nothing for 6 months" type deals which are awful for you in the long term in terms of how much you are actually paying for what you buy.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Yeah...trying to avoid massive student loan debt is why it's taking me so god damn long to get my degree. I pay for my classes out of pocket as I take them it's killing me. It's insane how expensive college has gotten.

What's the degree and do you have a plan as to how that degree is going to earn you back what you put into it? Could that plan have went ahead without the degree?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Normchacho said:

What's the degree and do you have a plan as to how that degree is going to earn you back what you put into it? Could that plan have went ahead without the degree?

Mechanical Engineering. The plan is to get my associates, start working as an engineering technician and then finish up my bachelors while I'm working. Yeah, it should earn me back what I put into it pretty easily. Plus, it's the work I want to be doing.

Oh, and no it couldn't happen without a degree.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Mechanical Engineering. The plan is to get my associates, start working as an engineering technician and then finish up my bachelors while I'm working. Yeah, it should earn me back what I put into it pretty easily. Plus, it's the work I want to be doing.

That is fantastic, it's great to have the end goal and to be working towards it without it effecting your desire to be a part of that industry as you learn more and more about it as you go along.

My question regarding the need of the degree is that there are a lot of people now who seem to just go to College for the sake of getting a degree, just for the sake of ticking the box "done college" in terms of living a complete life, but then their end game goal in no way requires the degree for anything other than a nice thing to frame which cost thousands of dollars and many years of our short life on this planet.

I thought to myself after typing the question... what if the guy is going to become a doctor, my logic of... ahhhhh do you really need a degree for that? Just start cutting and see how it goes!! wouldn't really go so well haha.

Yeah, I'd be a bit screwed in terms of school finances right now if my dad didn't kill himself, leaving the death benefits to help pay for my education. However, it shouldn't even get to the point that the only reason a person can go to post-secondary school is because a parent committed suicide.

Ganoncrotch said:
Normchacho said:

That is fantastic, it's great to have the end goal and to be working towards it without it effecting your desire to be a part of that industry as you learn more and more about it as you go along.

My question regarding the need of the degree is that there are a lot of people now who seem to just go to College for the sake of getting a degree, just for the sake of ticking the box "done college" in terms of living a complete life, but then their end game goal in no way requires the degree for anything other than a nice thing to frame which cost thousands of dollars and many years of our short life on this planet.

I thought to myself after typing the question... what if the guy is going to become a doctor, my logic of... ahhhhh do you really need a degree for that? Just start cutting and see how it goes!! wouldn't really go so well haha.

Yeah, there's a plan...sort of like how someone at the bottom of a cliff with no rope plans on getting to the top...just one fucking hand at a time haha.

And yes, I've seen a lot of people go to school just because they think it's what they're supposed to do. Which is shitty.

Bet with Adamblaziken: