By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Student loans debate - fair game for students?

Many countries are moving towards rising tuition for students. In the US this easily crosses 50K$ for a Bachelor. The U.S. student loan debt exceeded $1.3 trillion recently, more than consumer credits or car loans.

More than 40% of student loan borrowers are either in default, delinquency or have postponed repaying their student loans, raising fears they may never complete their payments.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/more-than-40-of-student-borrowers-arent-making-payments-1459971348

Solutions? Should student loan default be allowed? Are student loans a tax on stupidity because someone didn't chose the cheaper community college or a looked for a blue-collar trade? Does the state incease student debt by handing out loans without much control? So many questions...

House mortgages are still much bigger but you do have the value of a house as a direct asset.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/02/student-loan-delinquency/

Around the Network

Abolish tuition fees.

Tuition sucks ass. We can find money to pay for everything else but education. I know it's more complicated than that but still. They also need to get rid of "General Fees" and "Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior FEES". What the hell are those? Tuition also isn't locked where I go. They said it was locked but it still went up this semester...

WolfpackN64 said:
Abolish tuition fees.

At the very least should be much lower, and interest on loans should be next to nothing. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Maybe leave college to the free market. Universities will never lower their tuition because there is always that 18/19 year old who would take out 100k loan just to get a degree in Philosophy or something that doesn't have a huge demand and doesn't bring them money.

Around the Network

I have to pay back my loan this year. Around 2300€ for 3 years. That would sound like a lot if I haven't had gotten about 5000€ of a loan in those years.

Of course our Universities are not privately owned for profit businesses.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

College education is so overrated. If i could go back in time, i would go for home based business like catering.
I wouldn't need to spend 2 ~ 4 hours driving car everyday. Survey says the more you spend time at home, the more happier you are.

Are these loanes taken up to pay to the college, or money loaned from the goverment to use on food and housing?

No solution, most of these adults are know what they're getting themselves into unless you're like these poor suckers ... 

There's a right field to paying off your bills and a wrong field to pay off the bills ...

I wonder sometimes, how much cash do people on here actually have, like would the majority of people be in some form of debt or would ye be in the + side of things and have some cash in the bank (which isn't an overdraft lol)

I'm not sure would people be willing to post in such a thread if it was created or would they actually be honest and not include "mummies money" in their mind.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive