By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live (on Xbox One) Requiring Payment Info?

I lost my wallet once and those that found it used my credit card to buy something at Home Depot in another Province (I live in Canada) but Equifax fixed that for me so I didn't have to pay anything.

I got "hacked" by a clerk a few years ago because I used my credit card. He had some device attached to the payment machine and could hack people but then again my bank got quick into knowing someone tried to replicate my card and everything got fixed.

Even when you go and try to retrieve money from the ATM some people try hard to hack into your cards.

I've been a customer of Amazon and Microsoft for Xbox Live for ages and never got hacked. Never did Microsoft tried to empty my bank account. Both are online stores and I feel more secure with them than using my credit card in real life.

Also it makes things so much easyier on Xbox. You don't have to do it but I personally think that your fears are unfounded. Also you could always enter your info and remove them afterwards.

Around the Network
pbroy said:

BTW, this thread title makes no sense at all, in regard to the OP:

1. Lost Odyssey is not a demo.

2. You can't download 360 demos on Xbone. Only 360 games you can download are full games.

Thread Title: "Xbox Live (on Xbox One) Requires Payment Info For 360 Demos"

i didn't make it :3

I might just get a debit card from a gas station or something. Either that or see if Xbox prepaid cards will work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

jason1637 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Fair enough. So I altered the thread title to be a bit less "angry". ;p

You should change it again because its wrong. You're only required to enter payment info if you are downloading any xbox 360 game on xbox one free or not. For demos, trails, and GWG xbox one games you dont have to enter a payment option. 

It's not just on the X1, if you try to buy this game via the Xbox.com store you also hit the "add payment method" even though the game is free, stopped me doing it on the PC was fairly annoying since my Xbox360 isn't in an active state of updated/connected to the TV.

As for the "why should ms be criticised for this when other sites offering free trials do the same" This isn't a free trial, it's free software, would be like if you had to add a payment option to google account to download free apps from the google play store, you don't so there isn't a comparison here.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
jason1637 said:

You should change it again because its wrong. You're only required to enter payment info if you are downloading any xbox 360 game on xbox one free or not. For demos, trails, and GWG xbox one games you dont have to enter a payment option. 

It's not just on the X1, if you try to buy this game via the Xbox.com store you also hit the "add payment method" even though the game is free, stopped me doing it on the PC was fairly annoying since my Xbox360 isn't in an active state of updated/connected to the TV.

As for the "why should ms be criticised for this when other sites offering free trials do the same" This isn't a free trial, it's free software, would be like if you had to add a payment option to google account to download free apps from the google play store, you don't so there isn't a comparison here.

I don't see the issue. Just add a payment option and if you don't trust your info being attached to you're account delete it right after. It should almost only take 10 mins. If 10 mins is that much of an inconvenience then don't download the game.

jason1637 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I don't see the issue. Just add a payment option and if you don't trust your info being attached to you're account delete it right after. It should almost only take 10 mins. If 10 mins is that much of an inconvenience then don't download the game.

Will take me less time to update my X360 and add it to my account than go about the process of adding my bank details to something where it isn't required. Funny part is I have the game on disks so it doesn't really matter at all to me lol, it's just the game is on 4 dvd's so I was thinking it would be easier to have it digitally.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
jason1637 said:

Will take me less time to update my X360 and add it to my account than go about the process of adding my bank details to something where it isn't required. Funny part is I have the game on disks so it doesn't really matter at all to me lol, it's just the game is on 4 dvd's so I was thinking it would be easier to have it digitall

If it would take you less than 10mins to get the game digitally i don't see the problem then unless you don't have 10 mins to spare.

Ganoncrotch said:
jason1637 said:

Will take me less time to update my X360 and add it to my account than go about the process of adding my bank details to something where it isn't required. Funny part is I have the game on disks so it doesn't really matter at all to me lol, it's just the game is on 4 dvd's so I was thinking it would be easier to have it digitally.

It sure is played the digital version for a bit today load times are improved  a lot.

hershel_layton said:

I'm on the store, alright? Thought I'd get Lost odyssey since it's free and(apparently) a good game.

Click on it, and see a message. "Please add a valid payment instrument". Perhaps they just needed my info? 

I go online, type everything in, and see that I have to link a PayPal or credit card. I rarely use my credit card, and don't have paypal, so I thought I could just skip and use an xbox prepaid card or something.

NOPE. Microsoft just gives me a big, "FUCK YOU" and forces me to either use credit card or paypal. If I'm not even willing to put my address/real name online, what makes them think I'd even use my credit card? 

Heck, why is this even a thing? This is probably the dumbest feature I've ever heard. This shit is why I get pissed at Microsoft so often. You don't see PSN or the Eshop going around forcing you to put credit information.

*grabs pitchforks and returns to hating microsoft*

actually Sony is doing bad business here... You might prefer that but it's not legal. They are suppose to use billing informations and those must be true for accounting... So they should be using a verifiable mean to check ID of there customers....

otherwise they could be accused of money laundering if a billions of transaction are made with fake names...

so MS and most online shop I know are doing good business practice... You just don't like them... And PayPal is the safest way to go if you are a controle freak it works kind of like an escrow account and it's insured if you have issues with a transaction...

but you know your ID is safer online on those website than in your pocket... Most ID theft don't happen online... They happend in low security level administration like DMVs city halls etc... Or in brik and mortar shops... It way easier to steal in their than to hack MS servers, find sensible information and in a usable format. Than take your card imprint at the local restaurant....

hershel_layton said:
pbroy said:

BTW, this thread title makes no sense at all, in regard to the OP:

1. Lost Odyssey is not a demo.

2. You can't download 360 demos on Xbone. Only 360 games you can download are full games.

Thread Title: "Xbox Live (on Xbox One) Requires Payment Info For 360 Demos"

i didn't make it :3

I might just get a debit card from a gas station or something. Either that or see if Xbox prepaid cards will work.

Go with the debit card. I bought a $20 card, registered it, bought $18 worth of stuff and then put that info in the Xbox. The debit gift card doesn't expire, and they will even send you replacements if your card expires. You could keep this info on your xbox forever and download the BC games without issue.

At least be thankful your credit cards work in any region.