By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live (on Xbox One) Requiring Payment Info?

Barkley said:
d21lewis said:
it said that there last time I logged in was on a different PS3 and that I needed to re-enter my credit card info.

That's different. That's when you have credit card information already linked to your account, you need to re-enter it when signing into another console, or you have the option of not reentering it and they remove your payment details from the account.

They may still do what the OP is complaining about though, I have no idea. It's not really an issue for the majority.

Only one way to know. Somebody less lazy than me has to log in with their secondary account and try to get a free game!

Around the Network

Sony does the same for PS Now. I think the main reason behind this is to confirm that you live in the same region that you specified while creating account

derpysquirtle64 said:
Sony does the same for PS Now.

For PS Now & PS+ it's because the free trial is followed by a recurring subscription, so you need payment information on your account. Equally it's to make sure that you don't just keep creating multiple accounts to get unlimited PSNOW or PS+.

If it's the same credit card you won't get another trial.

hershel_layton said:
Slade6alpha said:
Don't most companies do this? I know Apple does it for downloading free apps.

But yeah, go back to hating MS.

I assure you apple and Google do NOT do this.

Google does ask for payment methods, but you can always skip it, same for apple

Apple asks you for payment method when you creating an account.You can bypass this only by going to App Store and pressing Install on any free app and then selecting "create new Apple ID".Then you will be able not to choose payment method. Also you still need to give them your credit card info if you want to try Apple Music for free 3 months as well as in case with other subscription-based services such as Netflix for example

Playing devil's advocate here for MS:

Stop worrying about if people are going to find your name and credit card online. Hackers don't get your information from there anymore. It's mined by professionals from the credit card servers before being put up for auction on the dark net. If you're gonna get hacked, you're gonna get hacked.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
PSN is the same, right? I tried to get a free game a while back and it said that there last time I logged in was on a different PS3 and that I needed to re-enter my credit card info.

You don't need any information for free downloads, no.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Ganoncrotch said:
tinfamous12 said:
Really? A whole thread? Most online services require payment information. Just make a fake PayPal and leave it there if you are that scared. Or trade your Xbox in if its that serious.

It's because the game is free, I had the same issue and just put off getting it, while it's fair to say they want your credit card details if you are going to make a purchase which requires payment this just doesn't and is a completely unnessassary step which involves handing over your CC info online which you then need to remove from the Xbox account afterwards unless you want to just leave it there.

I think you might have missed the point where the game has no cost but requires the payment option be added, this would be like if you were in a shop browsing and they asked you for your credit card infomation to keep on file should you feel the need to buy something and make a payment, would you be okay with a store doing that? If not then there is zero reason you should be fine with it being a requirement to get this item from the MS store, in terms of online security MS is indeed very secure and will almost certainly not encounter any security issues which would put your details at risk, however no matter how powerful their protection is there is literally nothing they could offer which rivals the safety of them not storing your credentials.

A more accurate version would be, youre in a store and someone is offering free samples of a food item, but want you to give payment info before you try the free sample.

Personally I think it's stupid, demos and freebies not tied to an incentive (ps+, games with gold, etc) should not require payment details to be downloaded.

hershel_layton said:
Slade6alpha said:
Don't most companies do this? I know Apple does it for downloading free apps. 

But yeah, go back to hating MS.

I assure you apple and Google do NOT do this.

Google does ask for payment methods, but you can always skip it, same for apple

From what I can remember the last time I owned an apple device, the account needed to have made a purchase or had valid card information entered at some point before downloads could be done, be it from a credit card or a prepaid apple card.

Well, that sure didn't last too long..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Same here. I tried to download the Forza demo and Killerinstinct demo for PC, but they demanded my bank account details which I refused. I don't want them to be able to slowly milk my bank account dry.

CGI-Quality said:

If it is a trial, there shouldn't be any stipulation to it. A trial should be just that - a period where i get to experience product/service for a limited time free of charge and hassle.

When it comes to free trials your payment details are a means of identification. If they didn't require them on your account people would just create new accounts over and over and have unlimited netflix/PS+ etc.