By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Rumor]Breath of Wild cancelled on WiiU

KLAMarine said:
curl-6 said:

Well, I don't think it's the coverage that indicates it will be. For me the evidence is Nintendo distancing themselves from the Wii U as much as possible, that they're clearly having difficulties getting it to run smoothly on Wii U, and that they'll want to sell more Switches and use Zelda as leverage to force U owners to upgrade.

I don't think the performance issues we have seen are enough to axe potentially millions of sales from releasing on two platforms versus on just one. Also, there is potential for sales from selling to double dippers.

BotW got a huge reception at E3, it saw several hours of play on the WiiU, and even gave chance for the public to play despite the WiiU's difficulties.

Of course, there is still a chance the WiiU version get cancelled but I'm seeing financial motivation to release on two platforms instead of just one. Two is greater than one after all.

I agree, especially since the game is not complete yet. They're most likely working on optimization for the Wii U and Switch versions of the game right now.

Around the Network
Yerm said:
2013: Heres a tech demo for a Zelda Wii U game
2014: We are working on a Zelda Wii U game
2015: We have to delay the Zelda Wii U game
2016: All we have anymore is a Zelda Wii U game
2017: The Zelda Wii U game is now a Zelda Switch game
2018: The Zelda Switch game has been moved to our next console
2024: You wont believe how great this game is going to be when its done guys.
2028: The game was so good we had to push it to our next console again
2036: We dont even make consoles anymore so now that we are working with better hardware we have to delay the game to make it better
2055: Half-Life 3 was just released but Zelda isnt done yet
2178: Christ has returned but Zelda still hasnt
2487: Computers have long succeeded human intelligence and even they cant find out why this game is taking so long
3751: the Zelda series has started its own religion. some swear they actually played the games, but nobody is sure they even existed.
7610: the game is finally finished. but humanity is dead so whats the point

Oh my God my sides were in space by 2487, amazing post.

As for the rumour, guys there is 18 pages of "there is no reason for this" how about this

Nintendo puts it on the Eshop Breath of the Wild Wii-U/Switch Cross buy, a way to bring about the start of Cross buy software on the two systems, not just being great for those who want to get the Wii-U version to start off with but then later migrate onto the Switch and have the portable version on that system too.

Also think about such a linked system could offer things like reductions for people who owned Wii-U versions of Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 if those games are making their way onto the Switch.

Rather than thinking this rumour could be the worst thing ever as a spit in the face to Wii-U owners, don't forget, it could also be a blessing in disguise to help Wii-U owners slowly migrate over to the new machine.

But as Yerm said... by 7610 Humanity will be dead so what's the point in worrying :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't think the performance issues we have seen are enough to axe potentially millions of sales from releasing on two platforms versus on just one. Also, there is potential for sales from selling to double dippers.

BotW got a huge reception at E3, it saw several hours of play on the WiiU, and even gave chance for the public to play despite the WiiU's difficulties.

Of course, there is still a chance the WiiU version get cancelled but I'm seeing financial motivation to release on two platforms instead of just one. Two is greater than one after all.

I don't think the performance issues are worth axing it either, but I have no faith in Nintendo agreeing with us, since it will give them a handy excuse to try to force Wii U owners to get a Switch.

A legitimate concern but I can't say I share it: I'm getting a Switch but not just for BotW. I'm no double dipper so whether I get it for WiiU or Switch, at the end of the day I'm only buying it once.

Mr.GameCrazy said:
KLAMarine said:

I agree, especially since the game is not complete yet. They're most likely working on optimization for the Wii U and Switch versions of the game right now.

The WiiU version looked pretty good so I do feel finishing that version for release on the WiiU would definitely be worth the effort. We shall see come release time.

KLAMarine said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think the performance issues are worth axing it either, but I have no faith in Nintendo agreeing with us, since it will give them a handy excuse to try to force Wii U owners to get a Switch.

A legitimate concern but I can't say I share it: I'm getting a Switch but not just for BotW. I'm no double dipper so whether I get it for WiiU or Switch, at the end of the day I'm only buying it once.

Well, I'm not planning to buy a Switch, so whether I play the game or not depends on if it comes to Wii U. I'm not expecting it to at this point, so rather than holding out hope and being disappointed, I'm just focussing on retro gaming. If BotW comes, I'll play it as one last fling with modern gaming, if not, got thirty years of games to play instead.

curl-6 said:
KLAMarine said:

Well, I'm not planning to buy a Switch, so whether I play the game or not depends on if it comes to Wii U. I'm not expecting it to at this point, so rather than holding out hope and being disappointed, I'm just focussing on retro gaming. If BotW comes, I'll play it as one last fling with modern gaming, if not, got thirty years of games to play instead.

Sounds like a plan.

Around the Network

Would be smart imo, since it would mean an exclusive monster Zelda game launching with switch..... Wii u was next to non existent this black Friday they literally are dropping the console.... Nintendo section is usually 90% 3ds now

mM
curl-6 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I'm willing to take a bet on this if anyone feels otherwise. 

I'll take that bet.

Alright, well what shall the bet be then?

FloatingWaffles said:
curl-6 said:

I'll take that bet.

Alright, well what shall the bet be then?

Another poster suggested a month's ban. I'd be up for that.

I always thought announcing BotW for the Wii U before the Switch was even officially announced was a big mistake. BotW should be a Switch exclusive designed specifically for the new hardware, and it would have saved Nintendo some face by not having to walk back announcing the game for Wii U.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Yerm said:
2013: Heres a tech demo for a Zelda Wii U game
2014: We are working on a Zelda Wii U game
2015: We have to delay the Zelda Wii U game
2016: All we have anymore is a Zelda Wii U game
2017: The Zelda Wii U game is now a Zelda Switch game
2018: The Zelda Switch game has been moved to our next console
2024: You wont believe how great this game is going to be when its done guys.
2028: The game was so good we had to push it to our next console again
2036: We dont even make consoles anymore so now that we are working with better hardware we have to delay the game to make it better
2055: Half-Life 3 was just released but Zelda isnt done yet
2178: Christ has returned but Zelda still hasnt
2487: Computers have long succeeded human intelligence and even they cant find out why this game is taking so long
3751: the Zelda series has started its own religion. some swear they actually played the games, but nobody is sure they even existed.
7610: the game is finally finished. but humanity is dead so whats the point

Ay lmao hahahaha I love this comment!

OdinHades said:
From what I heard, there won't be a physical release in japan for the simple reason that Zelda didn't sell too hot in Japan in the last few years, especially on Wii U and Wii. It isn't cancelled though. It was never officially announced as a physical title for japan. Take a good look at the game cover at every online store in japan. It's always the US one, there isn't a japanese cover that I would know of. All these stores just listed the game without a word from Nintendo, they just assumed it would be coming to japan.

I would be surprised if it was cancelled anywhere else in the world. I'm kinda working as a freelancer on the marketing front (where exactly I can't tell you) and up until this very day every official piece is talking about Wii U. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time where us marketing folks get to know big news pretty late, so yeah, let's see. =P

This is what I'm inclined to believe. But I'll wait patiently. For some reason, I'm in a calm.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile