By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Rumor]Breath of Wild cancelled on WiiU

2013: Heres a tech demo for a Zelda Wii U game
2014: We are working on a Zelda Wii U game
2015: We have to delay the Zelda Wii U game
2016: All we have anymore is a Zelda Wii U game
2017: The Zelda Wii U game is now a Zelda Switch game
2018: The Zelda Switch game has been moved to our next console
2024: You wont believe how great this game is going to be when its done guys.
2028: The game was so good we had to push it to our next console again
2036: We dont even make consoles anymore so now that we are working with better hardware we have to delay the game to make it better
2055: Half-Life 3 was just released but Zelda isnt done yet
2178: Christ has returned but Zelda still hasnt
2487: Computers have long succeeded human intelligence and even they cant find out why this game is taking so long
3751: the Zelda series has started its own religion. some swear they actually played the games, but nobody is sure they even existed.
7610: the game is finally finished. but humanity is dead so whats the point

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
chidori-chan2 said:
There's no justifiable reason from a financial standpoint to release the game on Wii U.

Yes there is. Called money. Even if it only sold 1 million that s 1 million more copies of profit to their pocket. Also it's fake anyway. This is literally the only place reporting this. neogaf no other website not Emily Rogers nor Laura Kate Dale no one else is reporting this so it's 100% complete utter bullshit.

Just because neither neogaf, Laura, nor Emily Rogers are making this rumor doesn't mean it isn't something to dismiss. Granted there's little evidence of this rumor being possible. Nevertheless, they showed too much of the Wii U version of BoTW to cancel it at this time. They played with the game pad and used the amiibo. Plus the Switch footage at Jimmy Fallon's showed much better frame rate than the footage we've seen previously so it indicates the Wii U version is being played. From what I can recall, Nintendo hasn't cancelled a game and moved it to anew system after showing so much footage of the game being played on the console it was originally supposed to release on. You can't ignore the VGA gameplay footage when Bill and the other guy (don't know his name) we're playing using the game pad.

Not putting it on the Wii U would mean missing out on some sales. Some people are going to double dip, I imagine.

Don't believe it, but if it were true, the incoming shitstorm would legendary, we thought that nothing would top Federation Force and Color Splash when it came to the diisonance between Nintendo and fans, and then they'd pull this. Holy shit.

I'm now filled with determination.

From what I heard, there won't be a physical release in japan for the simple reason that Zelda didn't sell too hot in Japan in the last few years, especially on Wii U and Wii. It isn't cancelled though. It was never officially announced as a physical title for japan. Take a good look at the game cover at every online store in japan. It's always the US one, there isn't a japanese cover that I would know of. All these stores just listed the game without a word from Nintendo, they just assumed it would be coming to japan.

I would be surprised if it was cancelled anywhere else in the world. I'm kinda working as a freelancer on the marketing front (where exactly I can't tell you) and up until this very day every official piece is talking about Wii U. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time where us marketing folks get to know big news pretty late, so yeah, let's see. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
spemanig said:

I'd argue the opposite. The PR backlash for this would be very, very bad. Like, very bad.

Would it really be that bad though? I mean how many people who aren`t Wii U owners would really care? Besides, I expect the majority of Wii U owners would be hardcore enough of Nintendo fans that not only would they likely get a Switch pretty early anyway but they`d be willing to forgive Nintendo even if they don`t (providing the game is good of course).

Let's be honest, they'd forgive Ninty even if the game was a turd.

I'm now filled with determination.

Maybe the user above me is onto something. Maybe WiiU's version isn't cancelled but...it's digital only or something. The retail aspect of it is what gets canned.

At this point, the chances of BotW releasing on Wii U are about the same as Uwe Boll winning an Oscar.

They've fed their paying customers bald-faced lies about this game for years, and now they're going to hold it hostage behind a $300 paywall. 

I for one will never purchase another Nintendo product again.

Mailorder has sometimes to remove items if shipping dates are unsure way ahead in the future. This could mean that BoTW will be out in christmas season 2017. Which would make much more sense given that it will be a system seller too...

FloatingWaffles said:

I'm willing to take a bet on this if anyone feels otherwise. 

I'll take that bet.