By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Rumor]Breath of Wild cancelled on WiiU

Soundwave said:
Probably not true, but if it is, I would assume the reason is there are technical issues in making a Wii U version, in which case IMO canning the Wii U version would be the right move versus gimping the game just so a tiny handful of Wii U owners can play it.

I'm sure more than 1 milion people will buy the game on the WiiU, that's not a tiny handful, not every WiiU owner is gonna buy the Switch first year, probably not even half of them.

Around the Network

bullshit, no way it got cancelled a week after Jimmy Fallon played it live with Reggie and Miyamoto, they are not that dumb....

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I mean, I don't believe this will be the case, as we've seen WiiU's version a few times, and Nintendo was happily re-releasing Zeldas all over on WiiU (you can basically play a huge chunk of Zelda games on it), but to be fair, if it turned out to be true, anyone would be surprised at this point? Especially with Nintendo's apathy and total lack of regard for WiiU at this point?

Nothing short of a statement directly from Nintendo themselves will convince me it's being cancelled for Wii U.

maxleresistant said:
GoOnKid said:

Quote by Hiku: "No doubt that something happened for it to be delisted on all those sites simultaneously. But both versions are removed, so who knows why at this point."

So, is the Switch version cancelled, too?

It wasn't listed.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=breath+of+the+wild

OK fine. Still, I don't believe it for all the same reasons that everyone else has already stated.

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
bullshit, no way it got cancelled a week after Jimmy Fallon played it live with Reggie and Miyamoto, they are not that dumb....

That was the Switch version.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Cancelling wouldn't make any sense. They released Twilight Princess for GC and that worked fine, and if the Wii U version is having technical issues doing whatever it takes (change resolution, texture quality, draw distance etc. ) to get it out would be a million times better than cancelling it and piss of the Zelda fanbase.
And the Wii U version was shown and re-confirmed just recently, which would make such a move even more mindboggling. Sure, Nintendo often acts like a person with serious split personality issues but showing of the game, reassuring Wii U owners it's coming only to cancel it five seconds later would be a PR disaster worthy of a Nobel price in Extreme Stupidity.

If this was true, I would never buy a Nintendo product again in my entire life. But it isn't.

Fei-Hung said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
I don't think that Nintendo wants to lose all their fans trust before launching Switch. WiiU owners will be mad if it's true

I don't think Nintendo can lose its core base. That's what makes Nintendo special. whether it is underpowered consoles, re releases, lack of third party, gimmicks, bad PR, shitty dlc via Amiibos etc Nintendo will always have that core 10-15 million fanbase that will support anything Nintendo does. 

At the end of the day, you can't find that Disney magic on any system other than Nintendo and losing BotW on WiiU might upset people, but not enough for Nintendo to lose sales.

In a way I don't think it's a bad decision though. if they are expecting their userbase to move to the switch sooner rather than later (if they haven't moved already), then it would be better to just release it on Switch. Although they might lose tons of sales from people wanting to double dip. 

Maybe you are right but still even if they don't lose their core base I don't think that's what they aiming for switch. Another 10-15 million consoles sold? That would be a disaster for them

Wright said:

I mean, I don't believe this will be the case, as we've seen WiiU's version a few times, and Nintendo was happily re-releasing Zeldas all over on WiiU (you can basically play a huge chunk of Zelda games on it), but to be fair, if it turned out to be true, anyone would be surprised at this point? Especially with Nintendo's apathy and total lack of regard for WiiU at this point?

Surprised? No. Mad? Yes. Whether the console is succesful or not it is not our fault and they must deliver a game themselves promised to come a year ago. It is the least they can do.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile