By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony get cocky next generation?

Will Sony span two generations with major sucess?

Even-Steven! 21 8.97%

Nintendo Switch (switch) 49 20.94%

PS 5 is Alive! 129 55.13%

It's XB2 Electric Boogaloo! 15 6.41%

No more consoles, just a ... 20 8.55%

Total:234

Why would they?

They just need to make smart decisions to continue to do well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
invetedlotus123 said:

Ps4 [is] not pushing boundaries, or bringing state of art technology...

Never mind massive push of asynchronous GPU compute with vastly higher compute queue : shader count than ever seen.
Never mind engineering in HDR capability into base model ever before consumer TV were supporting it.
Never mind integrating new touch pad control scheme into game pad.
Never mind using unified memory pool utilizing GDDR.
Never mind PSVR.

Perhaps you don't find those impressive enough, but they clearly are "pushing boundaries", and using state of art tech.
Sony has made clear they plan for a PS5 that will noticeably be a new gen more than an "update" ala PS4 Pro.
To achieve that, I expect further technical innovations, otherwise just boosting CPU/GPU/RAM aren't sufficiently different.

I'd like another option that says "who knows".

These things seem to rely on the smallest of circumstances.

I often wonder if Sony would be dominating this generation nearly as hard if Microsoft hadn't shown up at E3 four years ago and basically HANDED this generation to them on a silver platter.

I don't think people understand what cocky/arrogant mean...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

The problem with not including UHD is that they're also not including BD-XL. As games keep getting bigger, that's going to hurt down the road for those who aren't exclusively on digital distribution. Presuming Scorpio has an optical drive, Microsoft will have the option of releasing a game on a BD-XL disc that will work for Scorpio and Xbox One S (perhaps with a full game download option included for OG Xbox Ones). For many games 50GB already doesn't cut it, let alone down the road. PS4 Pro could have started doing something about it, and it's a missed opportunity for Sony. I'm all for digital distribution, and that's what I do personally, but that's still not the reality for many people. Whether their internet connection is too slow or unreliable, or because they value physical media, many want a disc. Regular BD for AAA console games is obsolescent, and systems should either be digital-only or have BD-XL, IMO. Nothing else makes any sense.  We're already seeing games that are incomplete on disc, and you can't play the entire game without a download to get the rest of it (I don't mean a bug fix, I mean the rest of the game).

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
leo-j said:

First of all, Sony increased the price of PS plus due to the increasing quality of PSN, and the fact Xbox live is more $ and is arguably worse in quality than PSN is today..... 

ROFL! That sentence alone makes you not worth responding to. That is a joke. Yeah the quality it's down more times it is up. Bye not even responding to this thread again. I am a PS+ memeber and the service is an absolute joke.

Sure Jan, when your ui can barely run on your so called all in one console, how can you expect live to run well as well? This isn't the 360 of 2007 vs a just launched psn service anymore 

mM
Ucouldntbemorewrong said:

Do you think Sony will get cocky next generation with the PS5 and start implementing user retrictions and forced funtions like only digital formats (no disks) etc. Are we starting to see it already with no 4K drive in PS4 Pro? Will Sony drop the ball to second/third place. History is against them Sony, MS, nintendo, Sega have all done it. What's your take?

How is history agianst them ? 3/4 of their consoles besmirched the competition.  

SamLeheny said:

I'd like another option that says "who knows".

These things seem to rely on the smallest of circumstances.

I often wonder if Sony would be dominating this generation nearly as hard if Microsoft hadn't shown up at E3 four years ago and basically HANDED this generation to them on a silver platter.

Probably. Xbox can't compete with an equal price PS, especially WW.

Of course, if Switch flops and Scorpio flops, Sony will do something stupid again.

Sony tends to do insanely stupid stuff if they think they have complete market control. If that is the case, question becomes - Will MS Scorpio, Nintendo Switch, and future prospect of PC flop so bad to let PS4 have complete control of market?

I doubt it.

sure maybe