By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony get cocky next generation?

Will Sony span two generations with major sucess?

Even-Steven! 21 8.97%

Nintendo Switch (switch) 49 20.94%

PS 5 is Alive! 129 55.13%

It's XB2 Electric Boogaloo! 15 6.41%

No more consoles, just a ... 20 8.55%

Total:234

No. They'll blow it with the 6th gen. Trust me, the 3rd console curse is well known, and it comes back. So the PS6 will be a big flop indeed (already happened with Wii U) :).

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Next? They already are and it began with the PS+ price going up and still not fixed security. I said tit before. Nintendo got arrogant after NES/SNES. Sony got Arrogant after PS1/PS2. Nintendo got arrogant after Wii. Oddly MS got arrogant even tho Xbox 360 did not win. Nintendo and MS now are more humble and Sony is arrogant again. Nintendo if Switch does very well will be right where they were after Wii lol. It's an endless cycle. Why competition is needed to keep putting one another in their place.

Will we ever have a generation where all three are head to head? We'd be the only winners! 

pray4mojo said:
Rafie said:
I don't believe Sony will be as arrogant as they were when the PS3 launched. They suffered for years and bled billions. I don't really see why it is you think Sony would be arrogant. Their decision to omit a UHD blu ray drive was just that...a decision. They felt that 4k streaming is the future. Whether we agree with them or not. I don't really see that as arrogance.

No BC so they can leaverage PS Now.

No CD player (after lying and saying they would, look it up)

Pay wall for MP

Lack of AAA PS Plus games

Upping cost of PS Plus $10

Not using all that revenue to make their servers as secure as XBL

Not allowing you to change your own background to leaverage paid background themes

Microsoft did just as much bullshit on their end at the start of the generation. So no, they're no exempt from the bullshit either.

PS Now isn't really successful. It's really just....there.

Didn't find any evidence about the CD player. Not that it really matters.

The paywall for MP was to secure more servers.

Why do people keep saying lack of triple A titles. They do have triple A titles. Just not every month. Same as GWG.

Charging 10 more bucks for Plus is the same for the "mp" on point 3.

You do know that Xbox has been hit quite a few times this generation already. It's not just Sony.

I don't really personally care about making my own background. Does Xbox One let you do that? I've never tried to. I just used my achievement pics as my background for Xbox One.

I still don't think Sony will be arrogant on a high scale. Everything that you listed isn't evidence of arrogance. That's just business decisions. Same as Microsoft.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

leo-j said:
SegataSanshiro said:
Next? They already are and it began with the PS+ price going up and still not fixed security. I said tit before. Nintendo got arrogant after NES/SNES. Sony got Arrogant after PS1/PS2. Nintendo got arrogant after Wii. Oddly MS got arrogant even tho Xbox 360 did not win. Nintendo and MS now are more humble and Sony is arrogant again. Nintendo if Switch does very well will be right where they were after Wii lol. It's an endless cycle. Why competition is needed to keep putting one another in their place.

First of all, Sony increased the price of PS plus due to the increasing quality of PSN, and the fact Xbox live is more $ and is arguably worse in quality than PSN is today..... 

ROFL! That sentence alone makes you not worth responding to. That is a joke. Yeah the quality it's down more times it is up. Bye not even responding to this thread again. I am a PS+ memeber and the service is an absolute joke.

I don't think they will ever go to their early PS3 days or even PS2 era level of cockiness. A lot of those guys are gone or in different position and the industry changed. I think they found what works for them with the PS4 and I think they are going to stick with it. I think Sony realizes that everything kind of refreshes with the turn of each generation and not everything carries over. It's kind of a gamer politics thing.

Loyalties will change with the time based on the games and what that gamers tastes is. While I owned all off the consoles last gen. I swapped from Xbox 360 to PS4 as my primary console, before that it was the Game Cube that I adored the most. A gen before that I only owned the PS1 as I was a kid, same with the Genesis before that. 

A little famous line I think Sony is familiar with: "The foibles of politics and the march of time can turn friends into enemies just as easily as the wind changes. Ridiculous, isn't it? Yesterday's ally becomes today's opposition. "

Around the Network

The biggest mistake would be not having bc, in my opinion. We will see how Sony tries to implement that or if they don't even care (they have psnow for a reason).

Why would they?

They just need to make smart decisions to continue to do well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

invetedlotus123 said:

Ps4 [is] not pushing boundaries, or bringing state of art technology...

Never mind massive push of asynchronous GPU compute with vastly higher compute queue : shader count than ever seen.
Never mind engineering in HDR capability into base model ever before consumer TV were supporting it.
Never mind integrating new touch pad control scheme into game pad.
Never mind using unified memory pool utilizing GDDR.
Never mind PSVR.

Perhaps you don't find those impressive enough, but they clearly are "pushing boundaries", and using state of art tech.
Sony has made clear they plan for a PS5 that will noticeably be a new gen more than an "update" ala PS4 Pro.
To achieve that, I expect further technical innovations, otherwise just boosting CPU/GPU/RAM aren't sufficiently different.

I'd like another option that says "who knows".

These things seem to rely on the smallest of circumstances.

I often wonder if Sony would be dominating this generation nearly as hard if Microsoft hadn't shown up at E3 four years ago and basically HANDED this generation to them on a silver platter.

I don't think people understand what cocky/arrogant mean...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.