By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 50 million PS4s sold-through as of 6th December 2016, Black Friday week in the history of PlayStation

Intrinsic said:
Swordmasterman said:

The PS3 is the  less successful Sony's console and, even so, it sold over 90 millions of units lifetime. I don't know why some people thinks that it won't outsell the Wii and break the 100 millions mark.

I honestly don't get it either. There is absolutely nothing that suggests the PS4 can't "comfortably" break the 100M mark. So far it has broken every prediction made against it. Just think back at 2013. If anyone came and said that the PS4 would sell 54M in a little over 3yrs they would have called him crazy. 

Like i don't get it. The PS2, the best selling console of all time took exactly 3yrs to ship 51M+ consoles worldwide. The PS4 has sold through to consumers 50M consoles in the same time frame. I am really curious to know what kinds reasoning will make anyone even now think the PS4 can't hit 100M easy. 

The reason why the Wii dropped so fast was because of the lack of third party support and that the games were based on the Gimmick. People stopped using motion controls.

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:

The reason why the Wii dropped so fast was because of the lack of third party support and that the games were based on the Gimmick. People stopped using motion controls.

I know, which makes me wonder why some seem to think sales of the PS4 would just drop off? Have they looked at the software the thing is moving?

Swordmasterman said:
JRPGfan said:

Why is that a excessively high expectation of PS4 sales?

End of next year its gonna be 75m or so.... thats in early 2018.

Then 2018,2019... Its gonna be 100m+ before the Playstation 5 launches.

Even then, it will continue to sell afterwards.... maybe not 30m though?

Depends on how big the games library is, what kinda support it gets after PS5 launch, and what price Sony gets PS4 down too.

I wouldnt say 120m is unrealistic though, the PS4 might actually end up around there.

The PS3 is the  less successful Sony's console and, even so, it sold over 90 millions of units lifetime. I don't know why some people thinks that it won't outsell the Wii and break the 100 millions mark.

86m-87m...

Personally, I don't say that it won't surpass wii. As for the other things, it's a long story, it's related to core market size and the shrinkage of the  market overall.

How much PS1 sold? 102.4m...

My opinion is that market has shrunk, this isn't visible now because PS4/XB1 selling at a blazingly fast pace but  wait a little bit, xb1 is already close to fall below  xbox360 , and xbox 360 best years ( kinect and slim model ) haven't come.

If PS4 sells 120-130m with xb1 having sold 50m, then that would mean no decline from 7th gen xbox360+ps3...

However, is that possible? Do you think that xbox 360 sold 62m more than og xbox just with hardcore gamers? And if so, you suppose that these are returning to sony, since PS2 had sold 155m but PS3 86M-87M and xbox 360 stole them? Maybe a significant proportion of hardcore gamers, howbeit the rest is casual gamers and ps2 had a lot of casual gamers, not according to me but sony itself, plus that many people bought it as a dvd player.

I would be happy to be refuted though. That's not improbable.

Most of you believe that wii was the only console with casual audience, no, PS2 was the first one and xbox 360 had its own share of that audience thanks to kinect.  Hence XBOX1 decline is inevitable!  it's because of these people abandoning the market, like with wii, it's not due to MS mistakes which allegdly pushed many xbox360 owners to PS4, some dillude themshelves by considering this. So for me selling double the numbers of original xbox is a great success!

Perhaps ps4 could reach that number if a massive number of old PS4 owners upgrade to Pro or if casual gamers haven't really departed...http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/27/sony-looking-to-reach-casual-gamers-with-ps4 What do you infer from this?  

So the conclusion is  that there are not enough hardcore gamers for 120m-130m sales with one console! Also, PS4 has a strong  competition in the NA/ USA and the price cannot go as much as lower is needed without sony losing money and this gen they finally care for profit and not the installbase...

Fast selling can lead to fallacy.

tak13 said:
Swordmasterman said:

86m-87m...

Personally, I don't say that it won't surpass wii. As for the other things, it's a long story, it's related to core market size and the shrinkage of the  market overall.

How much PS1 sold? 102.4m...

My opinion is that market has shrunk, this isn't visible now because PS4/XB1 selling at a blazingly fast pace but  wait a little bit, xb1 is already close to fall below  xbox360 , and xbox 360 best years ( kinect and slim model ) haven't come.

If PS4 sells 120-130m with xb1 having sold 50m, then that would mean no decline from 7th gen xbox360+ps3...

However, is that possible? Do you think that xbox 360 sold 62m more than og xbox just with hardcore gamers? And if so, you suppose that these are returning to sony, since PS2 had sold 155m but PS3 86M-87M and xbox 360 stole them? Maybe a significant proportion of hardcore gamers, howbeit the rest is casual gamers and ps2 had a lot of casual gamers, not according to me but sony itself, plus that many people bought it as a dvd player.

I would be happy to be refuted though.

Most of you believe that wii was the only console with casual audience, no, PS2 was the first one and xbox 360 had its own share of that audience thanks to kinect.  Hence XBOX1 decline is inevitable!  it's because of these people abandoning the market, like with wii, it's not due to MS mistakes which allegdly pushed many xbox360 owners to PS4, some dillude themshelves by considering this. So for me selling double the numbers of original xbox is a great success!

Perhaps ps4 could reach that number if a massive number of old PS4 owners upgrade to Pro or if casual gamers haven't really departed...http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/27/sony-looking-to-reach-casual-gamers-with-ps4 What do you infer from this?  

So the conclusion is, that there are not enough hardcore gamers for 120m-130m sales with one console! Also, PS4 has a strong  competition in the NA/ USA and the price cannot go as much as lower is need without sony losing money and this gen they finally care for profit and not installbase...

Fast selling can fool anyone... 

I don't think that the PS2 had  a lot of casual gamers. The console sold 40-50 millions after PS3's launch, people had more modern options. The Blu-ray player din't  increased Xbox One's sales, the price of the PS3 because of the player almost killed the console.

The Wii's audience was casual because the console sold based on a Gimmick and didn't had any support from devs. Somehow, Nintendo managed to sell 100 millions of units without getting 3 party support. The 3 party games simply didn't sold well despite of the install base, and so the developers dropped the console.

The Xbox 360 sold well and received a  good increase from the Kinect. But it was Microsoft's fault to market the Kinect more than the Xbox One at release. Had they not released the Kinect, they would lose 10-15 millions of sales, but would not be at such a bad position in this generation.

Swordmasterman said:

The Wii's audience was casual because the console sold based on a Gimmick and didn't had any support from devs. Somehow, Nintendo managed to sell 100 millions of units without getting 3 party support. The 3 party games simply didn't sold well despite of the install base, and so the developers dropped the console.

Also the price tag of the Wii was 249 at the time. Definitely less expensive compared to the other 2. Price played a big part in their success as well. I don't know why people forget that. LOL

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

SWORDF1SH said:

Oh pewds Kaz! you so silly :p

If Scorpio fits into this gen based on its hardware,
80mil   Q4 2017
100mil Q4 2018
110mil Q4 2019 - PS5 launch fall 2019

If Scorpio is next gen based on its hardware,
75 mil  Q4 2017
90 mil  Q4 2018 - PS5 launch fall 2018 ($499)
100mil Q4 2019

Yeah i think ps4 sales are gonna be long term and massive...(unless they change their console release structure to a new console a year...and they we wont be able to tell what gen is what...this may be the final console generation... it may all go to pc based from now on.)

Ariakon said:
JRPGfan said:

Its a 600 Gflops machine when docked (less when not).

And most people really arnt complaining about its power, their hyped about Zelda & mario.

Is this confirmed, or at least heavily rumored? That seems really (unbelievably, in fact) low. 

From I could find tegra x2 will have around 750 gflops FP32, its lower than Xb1/PS4 but still good for basically mobile console.