By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 50 million PS4s sold-through as of 6th December 2016, Black Friday week in the history of PlayStation

Kerotan said:
Intrinsic said:

Around 19M for 2016 only. Sales, not shipments. 

If i recall at the start of this year it was at around 35.9 or so. 

ok so not including December it sold over 14M this year. Yeah I can seee it doing 19/20M total. Next year it could actually be up on that. But I expect 2018 to be similar to. 2019 and beyond is too far away to call.

Yh, to put things into perpective Sony sold 5.8M consoles in the 2015 holiday season. Whivh sony marks as Nov 23rd through to Jan 3. Which vould put December only sales at at least 4M.

To hit 19M it has to do 5M in December alone or 6M if it's to hit 20M for the year. As it stands I think doing at least 4M is a shoe in alresdy especially if it's November numbers indicate a YOY increases from last November. No reason why the December numbers shouldnt show a similar trend. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
DialgaMarine said:

I feel like native 4K is going to be the standard resolution for PS5, in the same that 1080p was for PS4. Performance-wise, we'll probably see 60 FPS with upscaled 4K for games like Battlefield, and then 4K/ 60 FPS for multiplayer. I sincerely doubt that Sony is going to try to kickstart the 4K age on consoles, and not try to make it a standard on their next console iteration. PS5 will be very interesting. 

Yee it will, and the PS4pro and the upscoming scorpio is definately going to prolong this gen. 4.2TF or 6TF is not enough for native 4k across eveeything. At least not on oar with what native 4k will look like on PCs. 

With a 7nm chipset however, we can see anywhere between 10-12TF GPUs in consoles. So as I keep saying, when you start hearing talks of 7nm chips, then know the next generation if consoles are just around the corner. 

As funny as it may sound, even with a 10/12TF GPU, I don't think Sony will chase or try and force native 4k. I think they will improve the checkerboard hardware they have in their current PS4pro GPU and insist all devs go for 2160p checkerboard. Channelling all that extra power into other aspects of the games IQ. It's a smarter use of power. 

My bet is still on VEGA20 for PS5. 7nm process, 150W TDP, 12tflops, but it may as well be NAVI - its coming 2019. 

This would give PS5 6.5 fold gpu power increase over PS4. Twice the power of upcoming Scorpio. If they use NAVI, who nows...

There is also smart use off half floats. That alone raises ps4pro computational power over 4.2tflops. If used, that maybe enough for PS4pro to stay competitive for longer  

walsufnir said:
WebMasterFlex said:

Incredible sales... just as expected. 2017 looks even better !

Do you think PS4 will be up YoY in 2017?

I do. 2017 is the year the PS4 peaks.

End of 2016  (19m? sales) = ~54m sold through.

End of 2017 (21m? sales) = ~75m sold through.

Between 2018 & 2019, it might hit 100m before Playstation 5 launches, and even after PS5 launch, you ll still see cheap PS4's selling.

Its a repeat of the PS2 days.

Great news and very good attach ratio at a 3rd year.

And here we have another important part that 18-20% of PS4 SW is digital. So considering a lot of titles are digital only, then I don't think retail games get much over 10-15% digital attach ratio.

Now let's wait for when the other side will divulge numbers so the userbase can use over 50% digital attach ratio on titles of choice.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

black8jac said:

My bet is still on VEGA20 for PS5. 7nm process, 150W TDP, 12tflops, but it may as well be NAVI - its coming 2019. 

This would give PS5 6.5 fold gpu power increase over PS4. Twice the power of upcoming Scorpio. If they use NAVI, who nows...

There is also smart use off half floats. That alone raises ps4pro computational power over 4.2tflops. If used, that maybe enough for PS4pro to stay competitive for longer  

its most likely gonna be vega20/navi. Tjose are gonna be on a 7nm process. The next gen consoles have to have GPUs with at least 10-12TF to have any kinda meaningful upgrade over the PS4pro/Scorpio. 

Forget that whole half floats thing. And the PS4pro or even the scorpio aremt going to be competing with anything cause their libraries are identical to those on hardware that was released in 2013. Those machines just offer upgraded experiences, not new ones. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

And here we have another important part that 18-20% of PS4 SW is digital. So considering a lot of titles are digital only, then I don't think retail games get much over 10-15% digital attach ratio.

Now let's wait for when the other side will divulge numbers so the userbase can use over 50% digital attach ratio on titles of choice.

With very few exception, you can almost always find a retail game for cheaper than its PSN counterpart so its not surprising that retail still dominates.  in some ways, xigital game pricing is really a scam.

CosmicSex said:
DonFerrari said:

With very few exception, you can almost always find a retail game for cheaper than its PSN counterpart so its not surprising that retail still dominates.  in some ways, xigital game pricing is really a scam.

TO me it's a total scam disguised as "convenience" that you don't have to get out and buy or maybe get it a day or two later if ordering online and not needing to swap discs. But it they can fork additional 20 from suckers lazyness to change discs I won't complain if I can keep my discs and play how I want and wait for promotions and used to save some money.

Just buy digital on flash deals.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
black8jac said:

its most likely gonna be vega20/navi. Tjose are gonna be on a 7nm process. The next gen consoles have to have GPUs with at least 10-12TF to have any kinda meaningful upgrade over the PS4pro/Scorpio. 

Forget that whole half floats thing. And the PS4pro or even the scorpio aremt going to be competing with anything cause their libraries are identical to those on hardware that was released in 2013. Those machines just offer upgraded experiences, not new ones. 

At some point though... you start to question how much power do you really need? PS4 games look beautifull.

Maybe aiming too high, for next system can be a error?

Look at the switch.... its 1/3rd of the PS4, and comeing out 2017 and no one is complaining about its power.

Maybe cheap for easy adoption rates, is what wins the next console gen?

JRPGfan said:

Look at the switch.... its 1/3rd of the PS4, and comeing out 2017 and no one is complaining about its power.

U wot m8?

It's a 1TFlop 'home console' releasing in 2017, I'm complaining, as a handheld i'm not complaining about the power though.

Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:

U wot m8?

It's a 1TFlop 'home console' releasing in 2017, I'm complaining, as a handheld i'm not complaining about the power though.

Its a 600 Gflops machine when docked (less when not).

And most people really arnt complaining about its power, their hyped about Zelda & mario.