By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 50 million PS4s sold-through as of 6th December 2016, Black Friday week in the history of PlayStation

DonFerrari said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats kinda my point... I think we re reaching the point where "power" is starting to be.

Its more about how good the developers are, than how much power a system has.

Current gen graphics are insane... next gen 4k wont be a issue at all, with even better graphics.

At which point, I think we might be reaching the point where you have to ask if you even need all that power.

4k60fps with ultrahigh will probably be when we think power isn't necessary anymore, that will be good 2 or 3 gens and maybe 30TF kkkk

Lol come on not even close.

4K60fps would be possible with GPUs with around 16TF acroos eveey kimda game imaginable. in a console set up they could probably accomplish that with 12TF. But of course things like the CPU, memory bandwidth...etc also have to be on point though. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

4k60fps with ultrahigh will probably be when we think power isn't necessary anymore, that will be good 2 or 3 gens and maybe 30TF kkkk

Lol come on not even close.

4K60fps would be possible with GPUs with around 16TF acroos eveey kimda game imaginable. in a console set up they could probably accomplish that with 12TF. But of course things like the CPU, memory bandwidth...etc also have to be on point though. 

Let me exagerate... and I put ULTRA HIGH, at the point we have 4k60fps on all genres even GTA X, what do you think will be the highest level of IQ? 16TF may or may not be enough at that time, that would only be 4x what PS4Pro have, and I doubt that even 8TF wouldn't really do good on 4k30fps on ultra high

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:

I think people underestimate how far graphics can still go, and how much power it'll take to get there, there's still a massive jump in Graphics Possible... Look at this for an example.

https://youtu.be/gTb7k9pCQTo?t=6m57s

What would be the requirements to run this in real time? In 4k 60fps? I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it'd be a lot higher than 16TF.

Barkley said:
Intrinsic said:

I think people underestimate how far graphics can still go, and how much power it'll take to get there, there's still a massive jump in Graphics Possible... Look at this for an example.

What would be the requirements to run this in real time? In 4k 60fps? I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it'd be a lot higher than 16TF.

Get ready for 500+ GB games, that take forever to develope.

Worldwide sales for ever.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

Get ready for 500+ GB games, that take forever to develope.

I'm sure 50+ GB games would have seemed even more improbable back when people were playing 2mb Snes Games.

Anyway, the main thing that stands out on that footage is the lighting and reflections, shaders don't take an excessive amount of time and resources to make as they can generally be used globally. The Issue is they require a lot of power.

Barkley said:
Intrinsic said:

Honestly i won't be surprised if a 16TF GPU vould handle that. Remember the samaritan tech demo that was shown in 2011? Thejn today we have things like U4, GoW and even BF/COD games that blows that outta the water.

A GPU with 16TF of power is ridiculously capable espevially with a decent CPU hooked uo to it. 

JRPGfan said:

Guys dont you know..... PS4 is dead, it died this year!

http://www.icxm.net/x/xbox-one-dominated-2016-death-of-playstation.html

"Sony also announced a slimmer version of their console but it was too little too late. The consecutive announcement of both the Pro and the Slim pro-actively killed interest in any product from Sony."
- icxm

"For Sony, however, this was pretty bad news. The Sony PlayStation 4 Pro launched with pretty tepid enthusiasm amongst gamers, with Xbox dominating Black Friday thanks to several spectacular sales."
- icxm

"It’s pretty clear, and Microsoft is on point when they say that 2016 was a turning point for Xbox. With blockbuster releases and hardware that won’t stay on shelves for more than 5 minutes along with the gangbuster announcement that Microsoft will take the power crown next year. Xbox clearly won 2016, and 2017 will be a very important year for them to see if they can keep the momentum going. Sony, on the other hand, needs to really pull their socks up since their ‘free pass’ can only last so long before the reality distortion field disappears and gamers realize that they have been led astray with broken promises and cash grabs. " - icxm

Lmao.... wow... that site is pretty Pro Xbox :)

even funnier now the NPD results are in

celador said:
JRPGfan said:

Guys dont you know..... PS4 is dead, it died this year!

http://www.icxm.net/x/xbox-one-dominated-2016-death-of-playstation.html

"Sony also announced a slimmer version of their console but it was too little too late. The consecutive announcement of both the Pro and the Slim pro-actively killed interest in any product from Sony."
- icxm

"For Sony, however, this was pretty bad news. The Sony PlayStation 4 Pro launched with pretty tepid enthusiasm amongst gamers, with Xbox dominating Black Friday thanks to several spectacular sales."
- icxm

"It’s pretty clear, and Microsoft is on point when they say that 2016 was a turning point for Xbox. With blockbuster releases and hardware that won’t stay on shelves for more than 5 minutes along with the gangbuster announcement that Microsoft will take the power crown next year. Xbox clearly won 2016, and 2017 will be a very important year for them to see if they can keep the momentum going. Sony, on the other hand, needs to really pull their socks up since their ‘free pass’ can only last so long before the reality distortion field disappears and gamers realize that they have been led astray with broken promises and cash grabs. " - icxm

Lmao.... wow... that site is pretty Pro Xbox :)

even funnier now the NPD results are in

Worse is supposedly PS4 took cyber monday pretty handily..... should give them a edge for december NPD.

"counting your chickens before they hatch"  they probably just assumed Xbox One would take nov+dec.

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

The lowest I'd heard before was 750 GFflops, so yeah that is even worse then I thought if true. Can you imagine still using a 600 GFlops home console in 2020 and beyond? :|

It is definitely first and foremost a Handheld I guess.

All this is a side track.... My point was, maybe the PS5 doesnt need as much power as people here believe.

People where talking about 12 Teraflop machines for next gen.

Im not sure thats even needed.

With Sony and MS promoting 4K  you have  4K /60 taking point and that needs a lot of HP especially with good IQ , even when the time comes and they have enough for that, you then have other aspects like wanting games to be able to have more unique npc's and not seeing what looks to be a dozen or so skins and voices used on all the different characters in games  like skyrim and also not having pop up in this day and age I'm sure theres more stuff like that where over the years all the HP goes on graphics aimed at what ever resolution is seen as the standard but still we have those age old  problems still with us.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot