By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 50 million PS4s sold-through as of 6th December 2016, Black Friday week in the history of PlayStation

tak13 said:
Intrinsic said:

The really important thing is that there are three games that have not yet been released. GTA6, RDR2 and to an arguable extennt GTS/GT7.

If RDR2 and GTA6 are tied to playstaion (of which there are indications that they maybe considering there were GTA5 PS4 bundles) that would take PS4 adoption through the stratosphere. 

Why? Don't you think that most of the playstation GTA audience is already on PS4 thanks to GTA5 remaster, given the sales of the remaster?

It doesn't work like that though, big releases always sell consoles.

Halo 6 will sell consoles, but don't you think most of Halo's Audience is already on Xbox? It doesn't matter.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
tak13 said:

Why? Don't you think that most of the playstation GTA audience is already on PS4 thanks to GTA5 remaster, given the sales of the remaster?

It doesn't work like that though, big releases always sell consoles.

Halo 6 will sell consoles, but don't you think most of Halo's Audience is already on Xbox? It doesn't matter.

Of course!

Did you see what he said though? It was a hyperbole, it would be like me selling that 3DS will sell in winter 2016 as much as it's sold in winter 2013 when had Pokemon X/Y, because of sun and moon... ( Although, that's not an astute paradigm owing to Pokemon GO effect... )

tak13 said:

Of course!

Did you see what he said though? It was a hyperbole, it would be like me selling that 3DS will sell in winter 2016 as much as it's sold in winter 2013 when had Pokemon X/Y, because of sun and moon... ( Although, that's not an astute paradigm owing to Pokemon GO effect... )

Not really... the 3ds is passed it's prime and is about to be replaced. The PS4 is stronger than ever. He didn't give a date for when he expects GTA6 to launch, so there's not really much to contest.

tak13 said:
Intrinsic said:

The really important thing is that there are three games that have not yet been released. GTA6, RDR2 and to an arguable extennt GTS/GT7.

If RDR2 and GTA6 are tied to playstaion (of which there are indications that they maybe considering there were GTA5 PS4 bundles) that would take PS4 adoption through the stratosphere. 

Hyperbole?

GTA5 has sold a total of over 65M copies worldwide across all platforms. 

~10M of which is the remaster on the PS4. It sold over 30M on the PS3 alone.

You still think I am exagerating?

The only thing that can dampen the effect of GTA6 is how far along into the consoles life it finally gets here. Cause from all indications it's not gonna be here for at least another three years. 

Intrinsic said:
tak13 said:

Hyperbole?

The only thing that can dampen the effect of GTA6 is how far along into the consoles life it finally gets here. Cause from all indications it's not gonna be here for at least another three years. 

If that was right then I wouldn't say that you exaggerated... Minus 9-10m!

You must really have an excessively high expectation for how much PS4 will sell! Maybe 120-130m?

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
tak13 said:

Hyperbole?

The developers of GTA would not  announce anything when they have Read Dead  for next year.

I think that something similar to what happened to Fallout 4 will happen to Read Dead. People are in a dry  because of years since the launch of thee big previous game, and that will make the sales go up by a lot.

I don't know how well Read Dead sold last time, but it will be up by a lot in the next game.

tak13 said:
Intrinsic said:

Hyperbole?

You must really have an excessively high expectation for how much PS4 will sell! Maybe 120-130m?

Why is that a excessively high expectation of PS4 sales?

End of next year its gonna be 75m or so.... thats in early 2018.

Then 2018,2019... Its gonna be 100m+ before the Playstation 5 launches.

Even then, it will continue to sell afterwards.... maybe not 30m though?

Depends on how big the games library is, what kinda support it gets after PS5 launch, and what price Sony gets PS4 down too.

I wouldnt say 120m is unrealistic though, the PS4 might actually end up around there.

JRPGfan said:
tak13 said:

Depends on how big the games library is, what kinda support it gets after PS5 launch, and what price Sony gets PS4 down too.

I wouldnt say 120m is unrealistic though, the PS4 might actually end up around there.

The PS3 is the  less successful Sony's console and, even so, it sold over 90 millions of units lifetime. I don't know why some people thinks that it won't outsell the Wii and break the 100 millions mark.

tak13 said:

I made a mistake. 20M on the PS3 alone. 12M so far on the PS4. According to VGC.

But the important thing is that it has sold over 60M across all platforms. there are almost as many GTA5 games sold as there are currently gen consoles sold. That's a lot of copies.

And contrary to what you sre suggesting, i dont have an excessively high expectation for what the PS4 will sell. I habe it pegged for 105-110M by the time the PS5 is released. And if you think thats excessive, keep in mind that RDR2/GTA6, GTs/GT7, GoW and a sub $200 price point are all things yet to happen and the console is alresdymost likely to hit 54/55M by the end of this year.

Unless of course you are one of those people that somehow think the PS4 sales will just drop off a cliff like the Wii sales did and slow to a crawl. 

Swordmasterman said:
JRPGfan said:

The PS3 is the  less successful Sony's console and, even so, it sold over 90 millions of units lifetime. I don't know why some people thinks that it won't outsell the Wii and break the 100 millions mark.

I honestly don't get it either. There is absolutely nothing that suggests the PS4 can't "comfortably" break the 100M mark. So far it has broken every prediction made against it. Just think back at 2013. If anyone came and said that the PS4 would sell 54M in a little over 3yrs they would have called him crazy. 

Like i don't get it. The PS2, the best selling console of all time took exactly 3yrs to ship 51M+ consoles worldwide. The PS4 has sold through to consumers 50M consoles in the same time frame. I am really curious to know what kinds reasoning will make anyone even now think the PS4 can't hit 100M easy.