By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 50 million PS4s sold-through as of 6th December 2016, Black Friday week in the history of PlayStation

JRPGfan said:

Its a 600 Gflops machine when docked (less when not).

And most people really arnt complaining about its power, their hyped about Zelda & mario.

I think you mean Most Hardcore Nintendo Fans, who'll buy pretty much anything with Nintendo Games on it.

There's been a lot of complaining about the power on this site from people outside of the "Zelda is Life" subgroup. There'd be even more complaining if it wasn't also a Handheld.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

U wot m8?

It's a 1TFlop 'home console' releasing in 2017, I'm complaining, as a handheld i'm not complaining about the power though.

And most people really arnt complaining about its power, their hyped about Zelda & mario.

Is this confirmed, or at least heavily rumored? That seems really (unbelievably, in fact) low. 

Ariakon said:
JRPGfan said:

Is this confirmed, or at least heavily rumored? That seems really (unbelievably, in fact) low. 

The lowest I'd heard before was 750 GFflops, so yeah that is even worse then I thought if true. Can you imagine still using a 600 GFlops home console in 2020 and beyond? :|

It is definitely first and foremost a Handheld I guess.

Barkley said:
Ariakon said:

The lowest I'd heard before was 750 GFflops, so yeah that is even worse then I thought if true. Can you imagine still using a 600 GFlops home console in 2020 and beyond? :|

All this is a side track.... My point was, maybe the PS5 doesnt need as much power as people here believe.

People where talking about 12 Teraflop machines for next gen.

Im not sure thats even needed.

celador said:
poklane said:

Software sales are now at 369.6million games sold across retail and digital http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-sales-pass-50-million-units-worldwide/1100-6446051/

Attach ratio of 7.392:1

great attach ratio if it doesn't include PS Plus games

If it did unless people are crazy that doesn't down load the 2 games a month for free the attach ratio would be over 20:1

tak13 said:
aLkaLiNE said:

At the end of October lol to clarify, the event itself was October 26th so sales could be accounted for up to any point in time before then. I don't remember if the slide denoted it but I'm guessing sales were relatively up to date at that time (as in, this 22 million includes up to September 2016, maybe part of October? Idk)

lol Actually, I knew when it was but I was reading september and I puzzled over, because I wasn't remembering any windows 10 event in september...

There is a problem though, xbox1 hasn't reached 14m sold in the USA as of october... http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42673/USA/

And the image depicts a different stage than that where the october W10 event were held...

Suspcious! Could it be from a previous event and the 22m figure represent shipments?

Also, why isn't saying xb1 audience but says simply xbox instead... ?

They are probably talking about active accounts on Xbox One.

JRPGfan said:

Guys dont you know..... PS4 is dead, it died this year!

http://www.icxm.net/x/xbox-one-dominated-2016-death-of-playstation.html

"Sony also announced a slimmer version of their console but it was too little too late. The consecutive announcement of both the Pro and the Slim pro-actively killed interest in any product from Sony."
- icxm

"For Sony, however, this was pretty bad news. The Sony PlayStation 4 Pro launched with pretty tepid enthusiasm amongst gamers, with Xbox dominating Black Friday thanks to several spectacular sales."
- icxm

"It’s pretty clear, and Microsoft is on point when they say that 2016 was a turning point for Xbox. With blockbuster releases and hardware that won’t stay on shelves for more than 5 minutes along with the gangbuster announcement that Microsoft will take the power crown next year. Xbox clearly won 2016, and 2017 will be a very important year for them to see if they can keep the momentum going. Sony, on the other hand, needs to really pull their socks up since their ‘free pass’ can only last so long before the reality distortion field disappears and gamers realize that they have been led astray with broken promises and cash grabs. " - icxm

Lmao.... wow... that site is pretty Pro Xbox :)

Which very informative site is this one?

Barkley said:
Slarvax said:

The difference between sold through and shipped for PS4 has to be really tiny. Sony hasn't announced shipped numbers this gen at all, probably because each system sells as soon as it gets shipped.

I'm pretty sure that they have announced shipped numbers for ps4 in the past. As for how many they have shipped now... they forecast that they'd ship 60 million ps4's by the end of march if that's any indication.

Edit: Yeah they announced 47.4 Million Shipped by September 30th.

They have, every finnacial report have shipped units and revenue.

CGI-Quality said:

globally in US or globally in the world?

And I'm itching to report a picture only post =p

Rafie said:
Runa216 said:
You know what I never liked? Microsoft pushing the "we're number 1 in sales" mentality all the time. they just barely beat PS4 in America, sure, but PS4 beats Xbox One in virtually every other country in the world.

I actually WANT Xbox to do better, since they have a lot of things I like (The controller, in particular), but I'm just tired of their deceptive marketing. They have need of an asterisk and related caveat next to every claim.

"Xbox One! The best selling console for the last four months"
*(If you only count the one country where it's doing that and not any others)"

It's not really deceptive. They really were the "best selling" console in the last 4 months. Best selling means for that time being. Just like a new Harry Potter book would be the best selling book at that time. Not the best selling of all time. Xbox makes those PR statements at NPD where only North America is counted. It's unfair to bring the other countries in IF we're only discussing NPD. It's not deceptive at all.

A book and a console is very different world... saying a product is the best seller on a movie or car or anything similar is talking about the direct competitors that in the case of movies, car, books, etc is generally in the spaw of a month to a year so there aren't caveats. On consoles we are talking about products that go on for almost a decade head to head so yes saying best selling pretending LT but only meaning a set date is misleading even more when it's talking about only one region. In the past when MS were being more transparent they would only put they won the NPD of that month. You do know MS is trying their best to push a narrative.

Intrinsic said:
black8jac said:

My bet is still on VEGA20 for PS5. 7nm process, 150W TDP, 12tflops, but it may as well be NAVI - its coming 2019. 

This would give PS5 6.5 fold gpu power increase over PS4. Twice the power of upcoming Scorpio. If they use NAVI, who nows...

There is also smart use off half floats. That alone raises ps4pro computational power over 4.2tflops. If used, that maybe enough for PS4pro to stay competitive for longer  

its most likely gonna be vega20/navi. Tjose are gonna be on a 7nm process. The next gen consoles have to have GPUs with at least 10-12TF to have any kinda meaningful upgrade over the PS4pro/Scorpio. 

Forget that whole half floats thing. And the PS4pro or even the scorpio aremt going to be competing with anything cause their libraries are identical to those on hardware that was released in 2013. Those machines just offer upgraded experiences, not new ones. 

Yep... considering PS4Pro being 4+ and Scorpio 6+ anything bellow 10TF would be meaningless as console new gen. Sony and MS could make PS4Pro+ with 8-10TF and MS Scorpio+ with 10-12TF, but PS5 or Scorpio2 won't make sense.

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

U wot m8?

It's a 1TFlop 'home console' releasing in 2017, I'm complaining, as a handheld i'm not complaining about the power though.

Just wait it launch and get bad 3rd part support and you'll see a lot of complains.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

All this is a side track.... My point was, maybe the PS5 doesnt need as much power as people here believe.

If power would be irrelevant then you don't even need to upgrade the machine at all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
JRPGfan said:

If power would be irrelevant then you don't even need to upgrade the machine at all.

Thats kinda my point... I think we re reaching the point where "power" is starting to be.

Its more about how good the developers are, than how much power a system has.

Current gen graphics are insane... next gen 4k wont be a issue at all, with even better graphics.

At which point, I think we might be reaching the point where you have to ask if you even need all that power.

JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:

Thats kinda my point... I think we re reaching the point where "power" is starting to be.

Current gen graphics are insane... next gen 4k wont be a issue at all, with even better graphics.

At which point, I think we might be reaching the point where you have to ask if you even need all that power.

We do need more power, we need 60fps and we can barely reach 30.

If Next-Gen can do current graphics with 4k 60fps then I'll be happy... and that'll take a collossal amount of power.

A Single GTX 1080 isn't good enough for 4k 60fps for the most part, and that's a 9 TFLOP card.

JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:

4k60fps with ultrahigh will probably be when we think power isn't necessary anymore, that will be good 2 or 3 gens and maybe 30TF kkkk

JRPGfan said:

At some point though... you start to question how much power do you really need? PS4 games look beautifull.

Maybe aiming too high, for next system can be a error?

Look at the switch.... its 1/3rd of the PS4, and comeing out 2017 and no one is complaining about its power.

Maybe cheap for easy adoption rates, is what wins the next console gen?

Personally, I think the PS4 as is is powertul enough. Well maybe not enough but its just almost there. 

I feel the real push next gen isnt going to more power and 4k and all that glitz, you can really only take that so far; just like how with the PS1 they used to talk about how many million polygons the machine can push, same with the PS2 and by the time of the PS3 how many million polygons u could push didn't matter anymore. I believe the same thing will happen with rez.

But going for a 10-12TF system in 3-4yrs isn't what I would call aiming too high. or high at all. By that time you could  put in twice the GPU of the PS4pro into a chipset the same size with the current PS4pro chipset today. At that point in time, a 72 CU GPU will have the same footprint that a 36CU GPU has today and cost  just as much as a 36CU GPU. Basically, Sony could make a console with a 10-12TFGPU without breaking a sweat and at a $400 price point.