By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spencer: Scorpio Isn’t Trying To Compete with High-End Rigs, It’ll Have Console Price Point

konkari said:

It is not just the price which is critical, it is also about games that support the new capabilities. Sony went for compatibility but what really surprised me is the seemingly small effort needed to patch older games to use the Pro features, which can truly make a difference. For example Shadow of Mordor is so much better on Pro.

Microsofts whole idea revolves around compatibility. Backwards compatibility, forwards compatibility. To fail on that would be devastating.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network

Balanced implies next gen all around. 8 Core Zen, 12GB GDDR5(x), 6TFlop Vega, $499.

If this is what Scorpio ends up being hardware wise, odds are very good we hear leaks about PS5 late 2017, and legit news early 2018, with a launch fall 2018.

Still sticking with my estimate, $499.

This thing will be likely Zen based, RX 490 equivalent ($300+ GPU card. In comparison PS4's have had a closer to $200 GPU and they launched at $400), and 12GB of GDDR5. To target native 4K, I just can't see it for less than $499.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:

This thing will be likely Zen based, RX 490 equivalent ($300+ GPU card. In comparison PS4's have had a closer to $200 GPU and they launched at $400), and 12GB of GDDR5. To target native 4K, I just can't see it for less than $499.

XB1 sold for $499, and with all the negativity towards the brand before and after the launch, it still sold quite well, just not PS4 record breaking well. Once MS came clean about "flipping the switch" things got even better for them. The XB1S strong sales numbers just add to this.

If XB1 was able to do as well as it has, with all the mistakes MS made early on, and all the wrongs they've righted since, just imagine what they could do when they finally are able to fix the hardware issue...

A $499 native 4k console will make XB1 sales look like an absolute joke. It still won't sell like PS4 did, but will be respectable. This of course depends on whether or not PS decides to pull a MS and announce PS5 early and ruin the Scorpio party. PS won't risk Xmas 2017 PS4 and Pro sales though, so 2018 news at the earliest, maybe.

$499 sounds right for a 1TB model. Also, Phil said he wants it to be console price, not that it will be. Wonder if they will throw a game in at $499. I can see them throwing in Halo, Forza or Gears that will be patched for native 4k.

I don't think they will go Zen and Vega. If they do I don't think they will be able to keep it below $499 with a TB HDD.

Around the Network

I still think 400 to 450 is within their target range. With 500 being the highest, I just don't see them doing anything higher than 500. Also, I hope when he says it balanced that this means they're going to upgrade the CPU as well an not jut use an up-clocked Jaguar CPU.

hudsoniscool said:
konkari said:

It is not just the price which is critical, it is also about games that support the new capabilities. Sony went for compatibility but what really surprised me is the seemingly small effort needed to patch older games to use the Pro features, which can truly make a difference. For example Shadow of Mordor is so much better on Pro.

Microsofts whole idea revolves around compatibility. Backwards compatibility, forwards compatibility. To fail on that would be devastating.

If it launches at $500 it could sell 7ml before Scorpio 2 then price Droo to $250 early in 2020 with Scorpio 2 holiday 2020 so regular xbox owners upgrade and hardcores will still get the Scorpio 2. I like this method tbh, it keeps all my games together and ensures support all the way yo the 360 10+ years from now.

celador said:
I think you have to make a console very attractive to justify it being more than $500, so I think that will be the absolute limit. $450 though would be my guess.

Scorpio must sell well, otherwise devs and pubs will not bother building their games to take full advantage of its capabilities.  MS knows this.  They also know, from recent direct experience, and from Sony's launch pricing in past generations, that a price point that the market perceives as high means slow sales.  Therefore, I expect Scorpio to sell for no more than $499.  And, if that is the price, there will probably be some discounting or attractive bundles in the 2017 holiday season.

I wouldn't be surprised if they launch it at $449, or even $399.  If it is priced over $500, it will flop, for sure.  .  

EricHiggin said:
Solid-Stark said:

XB1 sold for $499, and with all the negativity towards the brand before and after the launch, it still sold quite well, just not PS4 record breaking well. Once MS came clean about "flipping the switch" things got even better for them. The XB1S strong sales numbers just add to this.

If XB1 was able to do as well as it has, with all the mistakes MS made early on, and all the wrongs they've righted since, just imagine what they could do when they finally are able to fix the hardware issue...

A $499 native 4k console will make XB1 sales look like an absolute joke. It still won't sell like PS4 did, but will be respectable. This of course depends on whether or not PS decides to pull a MS and announce PS5 early and ruin the Scorpio party. PS won't risk Xmas 2017 PS4 and Pro sales though, so 2018 news at the earliest, maybe.

I didn't say anything on whether Xbox has sold well or not, or if Scorpio will sell well or not.

The maket has shown resistance to adopting consoles priced $499 or higher, regardless of features or capabilities. The OneS has shown moderate success, and it owes a lot of it to it's price point.  

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

They'll sell it at a loss if the have to, it's as simple as that. It will not be above $500 no matter the production cost. $450 is a possibility. I would be impressed with a $400 launch price.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix