By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Blu-Ray isn`t dead, but it also isn`t the DVD killer

3sexty said:

What's really interesting is that Laser Disk came out some years before DVD. The format was released for Japan and the U.S back in 1978 and remained a significant niche product until around 2010 or something close. The disks are huge in size which kinda explains why it never became a huge hit..

Also intersting is the UHD version to LaserDisc that launched in '94, Muse hivision.
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/muse_high_def_ld/Muse_high_def_ld.htm
The discs displayed at 1035i with upto 1122 horizontal resolution. (Actually 1125 scanlines with overscanning)
A full 10 years before blu-ray appeared. The last Laserdisc movie was released in 2002. The convenience of DVD killed the struggling format. The Hivision version never caught on due to it being very expensive for the equipment, movies and compatible displays. It only lasted 4 years.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Does anybody know an approx. file size of a 4K video and how much bandwidth it takes to stream?

I've read that streaming an HD episode on Netflix takes around double the size of bandwidth than it would to just "download" the episode.

As convenient as streaming is, there are many countries that doesn't have the luxury of having a large/unlimited bandwidth at an affordable price.

Online one episode for a 4k episode of a TV show was like 20GB. For a good 1080p video you were looking at like 2.5-4 GB.

method114 said:
V-r0cK said:
Does anybody know an approx. file size of a 4K video and how much bandwidth it takes to stream?

I've read that streaming an HD episode on Netflix takes around double the size of bandwidth than it would to just "download" the episode.

As convenient as streaming is, there are many countries that doesn't have the luxury of having a large/unlimited bandwidth at an affordable price.

Online one episode for a 4k episode of a TV show was like 20GB. For a good 1080p video you were looking at like 2.5-4 GB.

Dam it's hard to be all for it for streaming 4K videos.

Azzanation said:
Zekkyou said:

Perhaps the people who value image quality differences in games are different to the people still happy watching media in SD? I know, crazy idea.

Even ignoring that though, your comparison is deeply flawed. DVD, Blu-Ray, and digital all have clear advantages. The first is cheaper in both player and disks, the second provides the highest quality experience, and the third on average is the most convenient. I'm a key example of how powerful these differences can be. I'm someone who values image quality *a lot*, i spent £3k+ on my current PC build so i could max games at 4k. And yet, despite this, almost all of my media consumption is through digital. My valuing of the differences between blu-ray 1080p/4k vs their digital equivalence is overwritten by my desire for convenience in that space.

In comparison, the PS4 and X1 are a much more linear comparison. The default cost of both is about the same (the X1 originally more because of the Kinect), their games cost the same amount, and both require the same amount of effort to play those games. So with price and convenience roughly equalised, differences in quality become a lot more relevant. You'd be right to say some people went a bit overboard, but i'd argue you often do similarly in the reverse. Your lack of interest in image quality doesn't nullify the interest of others.

Interesting, seems as if your misunderstood my point. I am all for image quality hence why i own a Duel GPU laptop and plan on buying a GTX1080 PC in the next couple of months followed by a 4k screen. I am all for the hightest qulaity which is why i play games on PCs.

As for my comparison i am referring to 90% of thie site who made out that 900p and 1080p were worlds different yet compare that to the avaerge human who doesnt actually care and are still happy buying DvD quality movies.

As for the bolded, sounds like your jumping to conclusions here. I am all 4k next year and i wont be going back.

90% believe the difference between 900p and 1080p is akin to "worlds apart"? That's... an incredibly silly thing to say. So almost every Nintendo (VGCs largest fanbase), Sony, and MS fan on VGC don't only value image quality, but are image quality enthusiasts to the point that they actively express that the difference between 900p and 1080p is akin to "worlds different"?

Regardless, your reason for making the comparison doesn't change how flawed it is. Not only because DVD having its own clear advantages makes statements like "the average human doesn't actually care" somewhat aimless, but also because you're not dealing with 2 fully overlapping groups.

physical is dead to me. i have about 400 dvds and maybe 30 blurays but i don't watch any of them. i really think the "outrage" against ps4 pro not having a UHD player was quite laughable. UHD will never catch on. it's as DoA as 3D blu rays.

i stream now. i love not having to get up off the couch to put a disc in. i love that the exact episode or even second within an episode/move is remembered if i stop in the middle and pick it up later (even if i watch on a different device). it is just so convient.

but also,.. the "industry" has been dicks to us consumers for years. the format wars between blu ray and HD DVD. the constantly evolving resolution standards. HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3a, 1.4a, 2.0. 3D. as a consumer i can't buy a device and have resonable expectation that it will work for 10 years. they keep moving the fucking goalposts and they've been shit about forward compatibility.

there isn't a standardized way to buy digital content either so each purchase is tied to a specific service provider making the idea of shopping around for the best pricing a way to fracture my content library across services that each have the liability of supporting some but generally not all devices.

so my opinion is fuck the industry. they've made it impossible for me to want to purchase content. i "rent" netflix each month and that's it. i barely put any money into media anymore and i blame them for making it so fucking hard to want to buy anything.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
physical is dead to me. i have about 400 dvds and maybe 30 blurays but i don't watch any of them. i really think the "outrage" against ps4 pro not having a UHD player was quite laughable. UHD will never catch on. it's as DoA as 3D blu rays.

i stream now. i love not having to get up off the couch to put a disc in. i love that the exact episode or even second within an episode/move is remembered if i stop in the middle and pick it up later (even if i watch on a different device). it is just so convient.

but also,.. the "industry" has been dicks to us consumers for years. the format wars between blu ray and HD DVD. the constantly evolving resolution standards. HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3a, 1.4a, 2.0. 3D. as a consumer i can't buy a device and have resonable expectation that it will work for 10 years. they keep moving the fucking goalposts and they've been shit about forward compatibility.

there isn't a standardized way to buy digital content either so each purchase is tied to a specific service provider making the idea of shopping around for the best pricing a way to fracture my content library across services that each have the liability of supporting some but generally not all devices.

so my opinion is fuck the industry. they've made it impossible for me to want to purchase content. i "rent" netflix each month and that's it. i barely put any money into media anymore and i blame them for making it so fucking hard to want to buy anything.

I love physical media, but I can't help but fully agree with you. My physical movie buying habits have shrunk a lot in the last few years. From over $1200 a year to less than $300 this year.

Having less time to complete movies in one sitting, the disadvantages of blu-ray are really starting to nag. Only a few actually let you resume straight away from where you left off. Most make you sit through all the crap again first and some don't even remember where you stopped watching. I watch a lot more Netflix now. Instant resume where you left off is the most convenient feauture for me. Plus tv series are usually overpriced on blu-ray, especially since you only watch it once. Nowadays I also wait for Netflix with movies I only intend to watch once.

And indeed screw buying digital movies. I don't want different accounts with different services to get a fractured library of 'permanent' gimped rentals. (lossy sound, no extras, no value)

I'm banging my head against the wall for the level of stupidity of HDMI. Ofcourse if you want the best quality movies, you don't want to listen to them over tv speakers. First I had to upgrade my flag ship Yamaha DSP AX1 receiver since all the advanced audio options were now on HDMI. Now I've got to do it again because hdmi isn't forward compatible with sound. Why the fuck didn't the industry make sound a separate stream in the HDMI cable that can be read independantly of the video signal. Or simply stick to toslink and allow 7.1 uncompressed or DTS HD-MA over fiber optics.

There is zero benefit to sound on UHD blu-ray. You just have to throw away a perfectly good receiver because it can't pass through a 4K signal. Or you can downgrade to lossy 5.1 coming back from the tv over the arc return channel or via toslink standard from 1983. (Modern Toslink has the bandwidth for lossless, yet not the copy protection, hence lossless is only supported through hdmi)

Anyway I bought new speakers instead of a 4K tv.

V-r0cK said:

Nah, that depends on so many variables. Quality, codec, fps, sound etc. It cannot be answered in a simple way.

Some googling (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/09/iphone-6s-4k-video-space.html) says 1 minute 4K at 30fps takes on the iPhone (with it's encoder probably) 375MB. Another source (https://gopro.com/support/articles/hero4-black-recording-time-in-each-video-setting) has recording for Hero at 4K and 30 fps at 60 Mbps.

Wikipedia says that with HEVC-codec 4K-streaming should be possible with 20-30Mbps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

V-r0cK said:

Streaming may have some overhead. Due to it's realtime-nature it needs to switch quality if bandwith is changing and better sends packets another time if it isn't sure the receiver got it. But double as much? I very much doubt that.

V-r0cK said:   

Well, downloading surely has it's advantage as you can download the movie for the evening in 24 hours instead of 2 for streaming. On the other hand most content deliverers don't want to give away their stuff, so they choose streaming.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SvennoJ said:
kitler53 said:

I love physical media, but I can't help but fully agree with you. My physical movie buying habits have shrunk a lot in the last few years. From over $1200 a year to less than $300 this year.

Having less time to complete movies in one sitting, the disadvantages of blu-ray are really starting to nag. Only a few actually let you resume straight away from where you left off. Most make you sit through all the crap again first and some don't even remember where you stopped watching. I watch a lot more Netflix now. Instant resume where you left off is the most convenient feauture for me. Plus tv series are usually overpriced on blu-ray, especially since you only watch it once. Nowadays I also wait for Netflix with movies I only intend to watch once.

And indeed screw buying digital movies. I don't want different accounts with different services to get a fractured library of 'permanent' gimped rentals. (lossy sound, no extras, no value)

I'm banging my head against the wall for the level of stupidity of HDMI. Ofcourse if you want the best quality movies, you don't want to listen to them over tv speakers. First I had to upgrade my flag ship Yamaha DSP AX1 receiver since all the advanced audio options were now on HDMI. Now I've got to do it again because hdmi isn't forward compatible with sound. Why the fuck didn't the industry make sound a separate stream in the HDMI cable that can be read independantly of the video signal. Or simply stick to toslink and allow 7.1 uncompressed or DTS HD-MA over fiber optics.

There is zero benefit to sound on UHD blu-ray. You just have to throw away a perfectly good receiver because it can't pass through a 4K signal. Or you can downgrade to lossy 5.1 coming back from the tv over the arc return channel or via toslink standard from 1983. (Modern Toslink has the bandwidth for lossless, yet not the copy protection, hence lossless is only supported through hdmi)

i rediscovered the library.  netflix kind of sucks for movies but my library has all the new releases and for free.  so if i watch a movie that's how i watch it.  

I've switched to Blue Ray as my main format fairly recently, so my Ps3 still gets some good use for that. I've mainly switched because of the amazing quality you get out of rescanned amination masters. Disney rescanned Sleeping Beauty for their Blue Ray release and the results are simply stunning. I couln't pass that up.
Since then I've been treating myself to the Ghibli Blue Ray collection as well.

kitler53 said:
SvennoJ said:

i rediscovered the library.  netflix kind of sucks for movies but my library has all the new releases and for free.  so if i watch a movie that's how i watch it.  

You've gone full circle.