By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Blu-Ray isn`t dead, but it also isn`t the DVD killer

BD is doing ok, but it never reached and will never reach mainstream status, as mainstream status meaning being the main format of home video in use. DVD is still pretty much alive, and streaming killed Blu-Ray chance of being the main format around.

Sure it has its space among enthusiasts and collectors, but for the average Joe up scaled DVDs were enough back in the day and Streaming is enough nowadays.

Around the Network

That doesn't bode well for UHD blu ray, anyway the format itself didn't much wrong. It provided better picture and sound quality. Unfortunately there is a limited market for the format, luckily it doesn't cost much to make a BD or UHD BD so physical media will be around for years to come just like cd's and LP's.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

The problem with bluray is that it came out when most ppl can finally access fast internet connection. With very small cost, you can easily stream 1080p or 4k movies from the internet. During dvd time, it could take ages just to stream 480p yt videos.

I agree tho with the above comment. If you have a nice home theatre, the quality of bluray movies is much higher than streaming site

Does anybody know an approx. file size of a 4K video and how much bandwidth it takes to stream?

I've read that streaming an HD episode on Netflix takes around double the size of bandwidth than it would to just "download" the episode.

As convenient as streaming is, there are many countries that doesn't have the luxury of having a large/unlimited bandwidth at an affordable price.

V-r0cK said:

I've read that streaming an HD episode on Netflix takes around double the size of bandwidth than it would to just "download" the episode.

If they're the same video file then streaming and downloading would take exactly the same data.

According to netflix streaming 1 hour of there 4k content will use approximatley 7gb of data, compared to 3gb for HD.

Around the Network

All the points against Bluray in this thread apply doubly to the UHD format that so many tried to claim the PS4 Pro would fail if it didn't support. Bluray was only utilized in game systems because of higher capacity discs. That's it. It wasn't the superiority of the disc format, and I doubt it was even strongly in favor of 720p and 1080p content seeing as HD only gained prominence due to the convenient nature of flat screens over fat CRTs in room arrangements. The exclusion here would probably be Sony since they tried to push bluray in an incredibly risky move that didn't really pay off with the PS3 launch.

Bluray only holds a small share of the market compared to even modern DVD sales, and UHD may as well not exist on sales charts in comparison. TV manufacturers are trying desperately to get people to latch onto 4K out of a distinct misunderstanding of what made HD big to begin with. Much like with HD, resolutions over 1080p will only gain prominence as manufacturers simply stop making 1080p monitors and televisions, and like with the resolution shift, DVDs will remain prominent due to their lower price and your average consumer not really caring if they can distinctly make out every imperfection on an actor's face.

I'm building a bluray collection personally, but I basically only buy movies when they drop to DVD pricing anyways. As much as I genuinely appreciate HD content, I still won't pay a premium for a format that is now a decade old.

Barkley said:

V-r0cK said:

If they're the same video file then streaming and downloading would take exactly the same data.

According to netflix streaming 1 hour of there 4k content will use approximatley 7gb of data, compared to 3gb for HD.

Thanks for the info!

Crazy just thinking that if you were to stream BvS extended edition (or Titanic) in 4K that's 21gb of bandwidth.  I know some of my friends and family members have around 60-80gb a month for bandwidth so I doubt they'd want to stream anything 4K just yet.

V-r0cK said:
Barkley said:

Thanks for the info!

Crazy just thinking that if you were to stream BvS extended edition (or Titanic) in 4K that's 21gb of bandwidth.  I know some of my friends and family members have around 60-80gb a month for bandwidth so I doubt they'd want to stream anything 4K just yet.

H.265 encoding solves the size problem in a way. If 4k needed 4x the size of a 1080p file ( since it`s 4x times pixels), with h.265 it needs only 2x, with the same quality, and when encoding techniques evolve the files size will be even lower. Remember when a 1080p movie needed 20gb~15gb for 2 hours and now we can get files with 4 gb that have no discernible compression artifacts or lower quality unless you are the super crazy videophile. 

DVD actually upscales quite nicely to 1080p HD and is slighly cheaper I guess. Visually I cannot tell a great deal of difference.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

invetedlotus123 said:

BD is doing ok, but it never reached and will never reach mainstream status, as mainstream status meaning being the main format of home video in use. DVD is still pretty much alive, and streaming killed Blu-Ray chance of being the main format around.

Sure it has its space among enthusiasts and collectors, but for the average Joe up scaled DVDs were enough back in the day and Streaming is enough nowadays.

What statistics do you have to back up any/all of these claims?