By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will Sony and Microsoft counter the Switch?

How will they counter?

Wait and See 100 82.64%

Put forth their own unique vision 15 12.40%

Find a balance between th... 6 4.96%

Total:121

This thread smells familiar. Anyway, you can't counter anything that hasn't been on the market yet, or at least you shouldn't. This industry has a lot of reacting to nothing and that's an issue. If everyone wanted to go the tablet route, they'd have done so already.

Around the Network

Probably just keep doing what they're doing and focus on core consoles and games for core gamers. I think Sony and MS at this point have both learned the hard way that gimmicks either don't work or have very short lived success. The idea of the Switch is cool, but let's be real; it's going to be held back in so many regards and it's going to fall short just like Wii-U did. The concept is cool, and I'm sure Nintendo is going to put out some awesome games, but all that third party support is doomed to be short-lived, and gamers who enjoy third party games are going to stick to PS4/ XB1. I can see the device making a killing in Japan, but in the west it's going to be perceived as nothing more than a cheap iPad, and it's going to be widely overlooked.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Nautilus said:

But if you do both it could also mean that it can be both.That argument go both ways.

The PS4 excuse is a bad example, simply because the PS4 wasnt designed from the start to be portable as an handheld.I think a better example as to how Switch is a hybrid console, due to it being designed from the start to be so, is the example you gave comparing the PS camera for the PS 2 and the Wii.Yes, if you bought all the extra components and acessories, the PS2 could also have motion controls for very specific games, but the PS2 wasnt designed around that.In other words, if you bought the base model, it was just a traditional console.The Wii in the other hand, it was a motion control based system from the get-go, with all games potentially having those type of controls if the developer put them in.It was designed that way.Same with Vita and VitaTV.Thats why, even if you transport a PS4 from one place to the other, it will still be a home console, while the Switch is a hybrid.It is pretty obvious.

Again, the third paragraph is simply answered by my first paragraph.Just because it has a screen to it, dosent mean its primerely a handheld.The same way that just because the Wii dont have tradicional controllers, it dosent mean it isnt a home console.Tecnology evolves, and what we might have considered yesterday features essentials for a phone, for example, can have totally different functions tomorrow, even if it retains the basic functions of what a phone is supposed to be.The same works for consoles.I mean, back to your weak controller argument, back in the 80s the "traditional controller" was completely diferrent of what we see as a controller nowadays, yet we call the same thing.Plus the regular controler for the Switch is the joy-cons, which can turn into a more regular looking controller, which is another point that makes your argument moot.

And as for the carts, really?Physical media is what defines a console?For your information, outside of price, carts are superior to discs in every way.Or most anyway.Plus, in the past regular physical media was guess what?Carts.So yeah....

In the end, the obvious design is a hybrid system, wether you like to admit it or not.It was designed that way.It is being marketed that way.I dont know how on earth you can read that message any other way.

It can do both. But its more of one thing than it is the other. and thats evident in its design language. But lets just agree to disagree instead of going back and forth on it. I feel the switch is a handheld with a home dock. You feel its both. If the switch gets the majority of Home console games that the other platforms get, then it would mean you were right. If it doesn't then I was right. time will tell. 

And as for carts..... carts aren't better than discs in the one area that matters to gaming. The one area that there isn't any work around. Data capacity. there is a reason that the switch is going to use 15/16GB carts. at a time when even 50GB isn't big enough to hold all the content on the other HD platforms and these games aren't even being built with native 4k assets right now. when they are that size could very well double. 

I don't know how some could be looking at carts as the secomd coming. Been there done that. it's ideal for a handheld device. particularly cause it allows the device be smaller and more durable and at least allows for data transfer speeds that would negate the need for a HDD. But don't make the mistake of thinking it's a better medium for data distribution than a disc. Look at it this way, off the top of your head. make a list of games that would never make it to the switch primarily due to its cart data size limitation.

And this is assuming the hardware can even run those games. But let's say it can. What do you think happens when they have to make specialized carts to hold 40GB+ of data for a game? you think that game will cost more than Its disc based equivalent? who foots the bill? What happens when the game has an 8GB DLC? where does that go? I don't see how you don't see how inhibitive all this is. You know those carts you are championing now? it killed the N64. It made Nintendo lose out to games like FF7 and MGS that were previously Nintendo staples. Ah well, we will see I guess. Maybe I'm just a sceptic. 

Seventizz said:
Neodegenerate said:

@Bolded: Have you not been paying attention to Sony for the past couple years now?  Their online experience isn't exactly weak.  Online functionality has been a mainstay during the entire run of the PS4 and a large part of the PS3 days.

I wouldn't agree with that at all.  Last month PSN was hit hard twice by DDoS attacks and there's been reports recently that PSN accounts in the U.K. are regularly hacked.  I'm not trying to start a flame war, but it's pretty obvious to anyone who's not a fanboy that Sony's online infrastructure is weak comparatively.

lol... you maut not know what a DDoS attack is. There isnt any way to prevent them. Only ways to manage tbem. And almost eveeyone tbat matters has been hit by them at some point or the other. Hell, they hsbe DDoS attacks for hire lol.

But tell you what, when Nintendo actually builds a respectable and proper online service, and has 10s of millions of subs playing the the most popular online games (in other words when they are a big enough target to gat attention) we will see how well they fight against DDoS attacks. 

Intrinsic said:
Nautilus said:

But if you do both it could also mean that it can be both.That argument go both ways.

The PS4 excuse is a bad example, simply because the PS4 wasnt designed from the start to be portable as an handheld.I think a better example as to how Switch is a hybrid console, due to it being designed from the start to be so, is the example you gave comparing the PS camera for the PS 2 and the Wii.Yes, if you bought all the extra components and acessories, the PS2 could also have motion controls for very specific games, but the PS2 wasnt designed around that.In other words, if you bought the base model, it was just a traditional console.The Wii in the other hand, it was a motion control based system from the get-go, with all games potentially having those type of controls if the developer put them in.It was designed that way.Same with Vita and VitaTV.Thats why, even if you transport a PS4 from one place to the other, it will still be a home console, while the Switch is a hybrid.It is pretty obvious.

Again, the third paragraph is simply answered by my first paragraph.Just because it has a screen to it, dosent mean its primerely a handheld.The same way that just because the Wii dont have tradicional controllers, it dosent mean it isnt a home console.Tecnology evolves, and what we might have considered yesterday features essentials for a phone, for example, can have totally different functions tomorrow, even if it retains the basic functions of what a phone is supposed to be.The same works for consoles.I mean, back to your weak controller argument, back in the 80s the "traditional controller" was completely diferrent of what we see as a controller nowadays, yet we call the same thing.Plus the regular controler for the Switch is the joy-cons, which can turn into a more regular looking controller, which is another point that makes your argument moot.

And as for the carts, really?Physical media is what defines a console?For your information, outside of price, carts are superior to discs in every way.Or most anyway.Plus, in the past regular physical media was guess what?Carts.So yeah....

In the end, the obvious design is a hybrid system, wether you like to admit it or not.It was designed that way.It is being marketed that way.I dont know how on earth you can read that message any other way.

It can do both. But its more of one thing than it is the other. and thats evident in its design language. But lets just agree to disagree instead of going back and forth on it. I feel the switch is a handheld with a home dock. You feel its both. If the switch gets the majority of Home console games that the other platforms get, then it would mean you were right. If it doesn't then I was right. time will tell. 

And as for carts..... carts aren't better than discs in the one area that matters to gaming. The one area that there isn't any work around. Data capacity. there is a reason that the switch is going to use 15/16GB carts. at a time when even 50GB isn't big enough to hold all the content on the other HD platforms and these games aren't even being built with native 4k assets right now. when they are that size could very well double. 

I don't know how some could be looking at carts as the secomd coming. Been there done that. it's ideal for a handheld device. particularly cause it allows the device be smaller and more durable and at least allows for data transfer speeds that would negate the need for a HDD. But don't make the mistake of thinking it's a better medium for data distribution than a disc. Look at it this way, off the top of your head. make a list of games that would never make it to the switch primarily due to its cart data size limitation.

And this is assuming the hardware can even run those games. But let's say it can. What do you think happens when they have to make specialized carts to hold 40GB+ of data for a game? you think that game will cost more than Its disc based equivalent? who foots the bill? What happens when the game has an 8GB DLC? where does that go? I don't see how you don't see how inhibitive all this is. You know those carts you are championing now? it killed the N64. It made Nintendo lose out to games like FF7 and MGS that were previously Nintendo staples. Ah well, we will see I guess. Maybe I'm just a sceptic. 

Data capacity isnt really the issue.I mean, it already exists 1TB carts around.The issue is as I said, the price.I think by this point in time 32 GB carts can be made at a mass market price level(read that somewhere, not sure where now).And the cart size for the Switch games will be as they need to, as they wont be 16 GB max.But the problem will be for games that are bigger than 32 GB, which is basically most of AAA games nowadays.Now who will foot the bill?No idea.And that is a realllll problem.But I will give the benefit of the doubt to Nintendo here.Nintendo may make stupid mistakes here and there, but they also learn from their mistakes.And they know one of the reasons that the Wii U failed was the droughts and by extention, lack of third parties.I dont think Nintendo would show that list of developers this time around without making sure they will support at some level the console.At worst we will get games more tailored to the system, but it will be support nonetheless(it sucks but I must consider the possibility.

All in all, I remain positive about the subject, especially because everything is still a rumor, no matter how trustworthy the source is, but yeah, its one thing that we will need to wait and see if that is false and the carts or internal storage are big, if everything is true and the third party or bigger games in general will need to be downscaled(in every sense) to be ported or simply not brought in at all, or if Nintendo and NVidia worked some magic into this custom chip.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

Data capacity isnt really the issue.I mean, it already exists 1TB carts around.The issue is as I said, the price.I think by this point in time 32 GB carts can be made at a mass market price level(read that somewhere, not sure where now).And the cart size for the Switch games will be as they need to, as they wont be 16 GB max.But the problem will be for games that are bigger than 32 GB, which is basically most of AAA games nowadays.Now who will foot the bill?No idea.And that is a realllll problem.But I will give the benefit of the doubt to Nintendo here.Nintendo may make stupid mistakes here and there, but they also learn from their mistakes.And they know one of the reasons that the Wii U failed was the droughts and by extention, lack of third parties.I dont think Nintendo would show that list of developers this time around without making sure they will support at some level the console.At worst we will get games more tailored to the system, but it will be support nonetheless(it sucks but I must consider the possibility.

All in all, I remain positive about the subject, especially because everything is still a rumor, no matter how trustworthy the source is, but yeah, its one thing that we will need to wait and see if that is false and the carts or internal storage are big, if everything is true and the third party or bigger games in general will need to be downscaled(in every sense) to be ported or simply not brought in at all, or if Nintendo and NVidia worked some magic into this custom chip.

Do you have ANY idea how much a 1TB cart would cost? I'll help put it in perspective. A 128GB class 10 sd card costs $45+. And that's non specialized carts with read speeds of around 70MB/s.

And Nintendo are already using specialized carts, if their read speeds of 200MB/s+ are to be believed. That's basically looking at extremely high performance  carts. Which could explain why they are sticking with 16GB (something has to give, higher performance =lower capacity). But even if they could go bigger, it's gonna just become significantly more expensive than using a disc. There is no way a dev would make a game and sell it for $60 on the PS4/XB1 and spend a total of $2 dollars on disc and packaging. Then make the same game for the switch and spend $10-$20 on cart and packaging and still sell it for $60. if they can't sell it for more they won't make it at all. Unless of course they can get it to fit on the 16GB cart tho, without having g to butcher their game too much cause that in turn requires a lot of work. 

And I don't wanna sound like too much of a a sceptic, it's just that I've seen so much of all this before. Pay no mind to all those lists of developers Nintendo showed. It happens every single generation. Does the phrase "unprecedented support" mean anything to you? 

But yeah, a lot is still up in the air. 

They have 4k and VR markets they are trying to corner. They are not looking to tackle what Nintendo is. In there eyes Nintendo is trying to catch them.

How will Sony and Microsoft counter the Switch?

Answer: Games

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Sony and MS don't need to counter the Switch.

Have you seen the ps4 sales? Sony don't need to counter it. Not sure if Microsoft will try anything. They've enough on their hands already fighting Sony and the ps4.