By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will Sony and Microsoft counter the Switch?

How will they counter?

Wait and See 100 82.64%

Put forth their own unique vision 15 12.40%

Find a balance between th... 6 4.96%

Total:121

Why would they need to? They have a huge market that they are dividing up. I can see Microsoft making something similar from the PC side of things... I'm not sure that Sony and Microsoft even need to go after the Switch's potential market.

I could see Sony going that route if their console sales were really struggling, but the PS4 is doing quite well. Maybe they will release a new portable for Japan. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

If MS and Sony's hand will, somehow, be forced, it won't be now, but probably years from now.

Switch philosophy is that you can play everything, truly, everywhere. Just like mobile devices (with or without TV connection). MS and Sony's stance is less valuable: play at home.
This the image that these "players" send to costumers.

Thing is, we are living in world that is everyday, more and more about portability.
You start at one point but you are not hindered by it. What you create/do, you can take it with you.

Nintendo is not only more in line with this than Sony and MS, they are also making strides in the mobile department. Just look at Pokémon GO and what it did for 3DS sales and is doing to the new Pokémon games.
Nintendo is making a bridge and is creating the idea that gaming on it's consoles is all about mobility, portability.

This is where Nintendo can win BIG.
By using their IPs in both markets (creating different experiences is a necessary step) they are taking themselves out of one market and glueing themselves to what is, without a doubt, the future of gaming, the portable market; they are positioning themselves for the future. Sony and MS aren't.

It won't take many years before tablets are close enough to console gaming.
Nintendo handled this already and created a console that might (not confirmed, i think) work it's best at home (docked) but can also deliver great graphics and experiences on the go.

If they succeed, you bet that Sony and MS will try to follow them... again.

Don´t count Sony out just yet. If they get 4 or 5 well reviewed VR games they can still turn the PSVR into a cash cow for 2017.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Why counter it if U already doing good?

Hiku said:
robzo100 said:

Anyways, bear in mind that with the big revolutions like NES, N64, and Wii (2D/3D/Motion), the hardware often dictated the software. So even when competition didn't replicate the hardware they often indirectly followed Nintendo's lead through influence of software. The big guys would clearly be Mario-2D, Zelda-3D, Wii Sports-Motion. I see this being forgotten in this thread.

The status quo being the primary driving force of the Playstation has made it the only system that has consistently sold very well
- Sony: 104m > 157m > 86m > 45m+ (PS4 will likely sell more than PS3)
- Nintendo: 32m > 21m > 100m > 13m
- Sony total: 392m and counting.  Nintendo total since N64: 166m.

I deleted a lot of your post just for text's sake, it's right above this post anyways. I've always been a Nintendo fan, and most probably always will be - Mario/Zelda/Metroid/etc fit my preferences/lifestyle, a good balance between accessibility and depth, leaning mroe towards accessibility. I wouldn't say I'm biased just as much as an MS or PS guy or gal isn't biased, it's just what we like. I mention this just because I think you gave an extremely well thought out response that was very understandable.

Status quo isn't blah/meh/normal, it simply mean appealing to what the current trends want. Motion is cutting edge, and so Sony adopted it, just not as thoroughly as Nintendo did so that they still had room for the other elements of gaming that were popular at the time(3D genres, etc.), and thus had room for developers who could have an audience as well. And I think your sales argument matches this.

In a way it actually makes me feel like Microsoft is the one who really has to struggle as they seem to have an identical competitor. Nintendo probably harbors a greater risk/reward ratio; unique approach, no competition to eat up sales, but possibly no audience to eat up sales. As a fan I'm optimistic they've found a more realistic approach a la pokemon go/mario run and then somehow Switch factors in there.

Around the Network

Do they need to?

They can just continue with the PS4 Pro and XOne Scorpio since that is doing good already

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Bandorr said:
Rab said:

If your not aware of the hardware sales:

Nintendo (Wii U + 3DS) about 74 million

Sony (PS4 + Vita) about 60 million

MS (XB1) about 24 million 

And you aren't taking into considersation the two YEAR difference between the 3ds and the ps4.

The 3ds came out in 2011. 60/5 = 12 million a year.  The ps4 came out in 2013. 45/3 = 15 million a year.

So in theory in two years the PS4 could have another 30 million putting it at 90 million. Heck even in one year in theory it would put it 75 million.

Thus that is a lead through "time" not through anything else. The switch will be starting 3+ years behind the ps4/xb1.

Your not taking into account this is the current user base regardless of when a particular piece of hardware was first purchased, these systems are current or the latest iteration of their respective hardware lines  

We are talking userbase here, someone was saying Nintendo wasnt a market leader in this regard, which is obviously not true going by the numbers