By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will Sony and Microsoft counter the Switch?

How will they counter?

Wait and See 100 82.64%

Put forth their own unique vision 15 12.40%

Find a balance between th... 6 4.96%

Total:121

Why should they counter? They don't care about Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo is the company who should think about how to counter against PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio.

Around the Network

What? No one needs to counter the Switch, hell the Switch is barely in competition with the PS4/XBO. It'll be exactly as before, people that want Nintendo games buy Nintendo Consoles, people that want Sony/MS + Third Parties will buy PS4/XBO.

Nintendo are the underdogs here, saying Sony/MS need to counter a currently unreleased console is laughable.

They already countered the Switch 3 years ago with the PS4 and Xbox One.

And if you're talking about "yeah, but gaming on the go and TV, innovation!", Sony already did that long ago with the Vita, PSTV, and even remote play. Others did the tablet thing long ago too. The Switch is already countered anyway you look at it. The thing Switch has that won't be countered is Nintendo games, as usual. 

Nautilus said:
Intrinsic said:

Because you can do both doesnt make it both. If you look at any hardwsre sincerely, you will see exactly what it is.

So is the PS4 also a mobile console bavuse it has apps like remote play? 

The switch can exist entirely without a TV. and all its hardware is in the tablet or handheld device. That it comes with a dovk allowing you connect it to a TV doesn't make it a home console. Especially when you co sider that the "home console" controller is something you actually buy seperately. 

And let's look at the hardware. It uses carts (and that top out at 15GB), using an arm processor that about half as powerful as the XB1. Does any of that sound like a "home console" to you?

I'm not saying you can't use it as one and that it won't serve as one to most people. I'm just saying that it's obvious that the design direction for it was for it to be a handheld. eveything about it says that's what they were trying to do. they didn't make a home console portable. they made a handheld console dockable. The console has a battery in it for crying out loud. 

But if you do both it could also mean that it can be both.That argument go both ways.

The PS4 excuse is a bad example, simply because the PS4 wasnt designed from the start to be portable as an handheld.I think a better example as to how Switch is a hybrid console, due to it being designed from the start to be so, is the example you gave comparing the PS camera for the PS 2 and the Wii.Yes, if you bought all the extra components and acessories, the PS2 could also have motion controls for very specific games, but the PS2 wasnt designed around that.In other words, if you bought the base model, it was just a traditional console.The Wii in the other hand, it was a motion control based system from the get-go, with all games potentially having those type of controls if the developer put them in.It was designed that way.Same with Vita and VitaTV.Thats why, even if you transport a PS4 from one place to the other, it will still be a home console, while the Switch is a hybrid.It is pretty obvious.

Again, the third paragraph is simply answered by my first paragraph.Just because it has a screen to it, dosent mean its primerely a handheld.The same way that just because the Wii dont have tradicional controllers, it dosent mean it isnt a home console.Tecnology evolves, and what we might have considered yesterday features essentials for a phone, for example, can have totally different functions tomorrow, even if it retains the basic functions of what a phone is supposed to be.The same works for consoles.I mean, back to your weak controller argument, back in the 80s the "traditional controller" was completely diferrent of what we see as a controller nowadays, yet we call the same thing.Plus the regular controler for the Switch is the joy-cons, which can turn into a more regular looking controller, which is another point that makes your argument moot.

And as for the carts, really?Physical media is what defines a console?For your information, outside of price, carts are superior to discs in every way.Or most anyway.Plus, in the past regular physical media was guess what?Carts.So yeah....

In the end, the obvious design is a hybrid system, wether you like to admit it or not.It was designed that way.It is being marketed that way.I dont know how on earth you can read that message any other way.

You are trying to do Nintendo's work for them, it seems. Yes, they are desperately trying to market the Switch as a home console, but that's simply the angle they are going for in order to try and get some home console users on board. It won't work. This thing is a handheld and it's plain to see if you have any experience in the gaming field whatsoever. As far as we know, the dock doesn't really change the overall experience, other than that you can play via TV to get a bigger screen. By this logic, any handheld can be called a home console, as long as there is TV connectivity.

At the end of the day, only hardcore Ninty fans and the handheld market will go for this machine, and that's it. The Switch is not an alternative for the Sony/MS crowd, at the very best it can be a supplement. And it'll do fine for itself, Nintendo has the handheld market in its grasp pretty tightly. I'm sure it will sell enough to be viable in it's own segment, unless the mobile market has already overtaken gaming on the go irreversibly. We shall see.

They really don't need to counter it.

Around the Network

It want, they are head to head with Sony and PS, not with Nintendo and Switch.

There's no need. Sony and MS don't need to prove themselves. They already have multimillion selling consoles. They have consoles here or on the way that makes Switch look like a 720p tablet.

When Scorpio comes out it will be over 10 times more powerful than Switch. PS4 Pro is many times more powerful. Both of them guaranteed their future with 3rd parties for many years to come. Switch has to prove itself all over again but this time using the same common format as tablets the world over.

The real question should be how will Switch counter every other tablet and phablet on the planet.

Dante9 said:
Nautilus said:

But if you do both it could also mean that it can be both.That argument go both ways.

The PS4 excuse is a bad example, simply because the PS4 wasnt designed from the start to be portable as an handheld.I think a better example as to how Switch is a hybrid console, due to it being designed from the start to be so, is the example you gave comparing the PS camera for the PS 2 and the Wii.Yes, if you bought all the extra components and acessories, the PS2 could also have motion controls for very specific games, but the PS2 wasnt designed around that.In other words, if you bought the base model, it was just a traditional console.The Wii in the other hand, it was a motion control based system from the get-go, with all games potentially having those type of controls if the developer put them in.It was designed that way.Same with Vita and VitaTV.Thats why, even if you transport a PS4 from one place to the other, it will still be a home console, while the Switch is a hybrid.It is pretty obvious.

Again, the third paragraph is simply answered by my first paragraph.Just because it has a screen to it, dosent mean its primerely a handheld.The same way that just because the Wii dont have tradicional controllers, it dosent mean it isnt a home console.Tecnology evolves, and what we might have considered yesterday features essentials for a phone, for example, can have totally different functions tomorrow, even if it retains the basic functions of what a phone is supposed to be.The same works for consoles.I mean, back to your weak controller argument, back in the 80s the "traditional controller" was completely diferrent of what we see as a controller nowadays, yet we call the same thing.Plus the regular controler for the Switch is the joy-cons, which can turn into a more regular looking controller, which is another point that makes your argument moot.

And as for the carts, really?Physical media is what defines a console?For your information, outside of price, carts are superior to discs in every way.Or most anyway.Plus, in the past regular physical media was guess what?Carts.So yeah....

In the end, the obvious design is a hybrid system, wether you like to admit it or not.It was designed that way.It is being marketed that way.I dont know how on earth you can read that message any other way.

You are trying to do Nintendo's work for them, it seems. Yes, they are desperately trying to market the Switch as a home console, but that's simply the angle they are going for in order to try and get some home console users on board. It won't work. This thing is a handheld and it's plain to see if you have any experience in the gaming field whatsoever. As far as we know, the dock doesn't really change the overall experience, other than that you can play via TV to get a bigger screen. By this logic, any handheld can be called a home console, as long as there is TV connectivity.

At the end of the day, only hardcore Ninty fans and the handheld market will go for this machine, and that's it. The Switch is not an alternative for the Sony/MS crowd, at the very best it can be a supplement. And it'll do fine for itself, Nintendo has the handheld market in its grasp pretty tightly. I'm sure it will sell enough to be viable in it's own segment, unless the mobile market has already overtaken gaming on the go irreversibly. We shall see.

Well, I didnt know that you had a crystal ball and could see the future!Im now completely convinced with what you said and that only Nintendo enthusiast and 3DS gamers will gi for this.

First of all, the discussion wasnt even about wether it would succeed or not, but you felt threated enough to had to spit that out.Certainly a good sign of it being potentially competitive.Second, your argument for the Switch being only a handheld is literally laughable.As far as we know the dock does nothing?But we know nothing!Unless of course you have been hiding that crystal ball of yours.Now, if you want to see my reasoning behind my opinion, you should just read my previous post again.Maybe my "lack" of gaming knowledge will make your own knowledge a bit bigger.And who knows, you might learn a thing or two about building arguments!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

they dont have to. iPhone and Android will counter the switch with games like gta and skyrim already available or very soon comming to those systems. Get a 20$ bluetooth controller and you dont need a switch if you dont want to play nintendo games.
Here are some games from iOS/Android to see their qualitys. Those games are still made to also support older hardware, a iPhone7/Galaxy s7 exclusive game could already easily look like any ps3/x360 game - even better.

iPhone Afterpulse 

COD MW3 Ps3:

iPhone Aralaon Forge and Flame

Ps3 Skyrim:

iPhone 4 graphics (iPhone 7 is about 40x as strong as the iphone 4)

The switch basically uses a arm chip from nvidia. Very, very similar to mobile phones. Nowwhere compareable to real 8th gen consoles.

The only reaction we're bound to get from Sony concerning the Switch is Shuhei tweeting about how much he loves the games on it, Both might put out congratulatory PR for successfully launching the new system.