By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will Sony and Microsoft counter the Switch?

How will they counter?

Wait and See 100 82.64%

Put forth their own unique vision 15 12.40%

Find a balance between th... 6 4.96%

Total:121

A new era of gaming is approaching. The Wii/DS era spaked a revival in gaming with intuitive controls(motion/touch) which are now common place among all technology and gaming related sectors. And yet sales are down everywhere. That era has dwindled and ended.

So, where do we go next? The Switch, which still may have surprises, seems to be the first beacon of change, and yet, it's not offering anything drastically new besides enhanced portability - though that may affect the software greatly, the part which we know least about.

Cut to the chase, Microsoft and Sony must have their own unique prototypes underway since before the Switch reveal. What do you think their approach was/is? Or do you think they are steering clear of specific prototypes so that they can play "wait and see" with the Switch to figure our what specific direction to go in?

In other words, do you think Microsoft and Sony have any intention of being the leaders of change in the new era? Or will they purposely intend to follow suit?

-

I think the obvious is answer - They intend to follow Nintendo's lead unless they customers completely rejected their new philosophy. But, I'm wondering if any of you have some interesting insight that could suggest differently.

Around the Network

They will hire hitmen to murder the Switch

Sony doesnt have to. They already won. They just need to... Sit back and relax.

They won't care.

And it's hilarious that you think Nintendo are market leaders.

For now? Thumb up the ass. We'll see if it extends beyond that. It's up to Nintendo to elicit a response.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

The switch isnt nearly as big a deal as you think it is.

Its not even remotely an original or innovative idea.

The switch is in truth nintendos way of countering the PS4/XB1. It's their way of quietly giving up on full on console gaming and focusing on handheld gaming where they have seen continued and consistent success. They know they cannot compete with Sony and MS in a hardware and pixel war. They know they can't command the kinda third party support tailor made for those kinds consoles so they are making something that would if successful, have its own unique type of software.

don't get it twisted. the switch is a handheld console with a home dock that allows you connect it to your tv. There are tons of games HD twin games you will simply NEVER see on it no matter how successful it is simply cause it lacks the hardware to run them. And that's ok.

And lastly, in case you don't know it, to follow nintendos "lead" would be to go against everything that has made Sony and MS successful. You really think Sony and MS will drop AAA gaming experiences that currently require well over 50GB of data with 4k and HDR to go for 720p 15GB experiences? Naaaaaa, they were past that back in 2013. 

If the switch is extremely successful, there will be a portable PS4 as soon as the tech is small enough for such a form factor. Microsoft won't do too much. They already have such a device, it's called Surface and all the big important Xbox Games are coming to Windows 10 anyway.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

If the Switch takes off, I can see them doing something similar.

By doing nothing?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

They don't need to.
Switch is not a threat to Playstation/Xbox.