By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will Sony and Microsoft counter the Switch?

How will they counter?

Wait and See 100 82.64%

Put forth their own unique vision 15 12.40%

Find a balance between th... 6 4.96%

Total:121
LipeJJ said:
bananaking21 said:
They won't care.

And it's hilarious that you think Nintendo are market leaders.

Like they didn't care about Wii? :3

I guess Kinect and PlayStation Move are just mere coincidence.

Or like they didn't care about Wii U? :3

I guess Xbox's smartglass (could  be used as a second screen) and Vita as a second screen to PS4 are just coincidences then!

If Sony/MS release a new peripheral in the spirit of NS, I guess it'll be just another big coincidence! ^^

All true. Nintendo has stamped industry templates throughout the generations. I stand by my ***** post though. My Move got about 10 minutes of use until I relegated it to the dungheap. There's a reason nobody waggles anymore. It's a dark story.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
LipeJJ said:

I'd agree with you, but... both funcionalities released near Wii U. So I really guess it's not a coincidence. 

It's like Wii.. it didn't invent motion controls, but it stimulated others to follow it.

I would say the timing is much more coincidence as they also happened around the time that tablets saturated the market and were more accessible to all and not just higher end, early adopter, luxury items.  Each company has been looking forward with touch screens, second screens, remote play options, etc. as the tech has increased. 

I gotta agree with Lipe. I remember it very clearly. Sony and Microsoft starting advertsing dual screen/asymmetrical gaming once Nintendo revealed WiiU. Did they make it a major pillar of their design philosophy? No. More likely it was done to demonstrate they could do the same thing offered by WiiU. But I'm positive it was done to take the spotlight away from Nintendo.

robzo100 said:
curl-6 said: Switch won't create a new market the way Wii did, as it does not tap into a previously unreached demographic in the same way.

I'll be honest, right now I don't see paralells as astronomical as the Wii era. Which leads me to believe, either you are right, or there is something on the software side of Nintendo's equation that paint's the full picture of Switch's appeal.

I mean, unless there will be more surprises on the hardware side...?

if we are to be honest and realistic, depending on its price, the switch would at best sell as well as the last Nintendo handheld. Look at the Nintendo console. There are only about 15M people willing to buy a Nintendo home console. And only god knows how many of those also had a Nintendo handheld too. 

the only thing that the switch has done is combined nintendos hardware portfolio. It's nit revolutionary. no more as revolutionary as plugging the PSvita into a TV. Only thing now is that it represents a united front for Nintendo. That's it. 

So as I said, it would be at best as successful as a Nintendo handheld. And thats assuming it's successful. which I think it should be able to pull off and allows nintendos work in a niche of its own without ever really worrying about competing with Sony and MS. 

robzo100 said:
Intrinsic said: Motion gaming was on the PS2 with the first PlayStation eye cam.The PSP also had remote play support with the PS3. Both of which came years before the wiiU. But yeah, keeping think Nintendo is at the centre of everything lol.

I think the point that we're trying to make for Nintendo is the same point that is generally made with Apple. It may very well be that they weren't "the first" in literal terms. It's about being the first to make is revolutionary for the mainstream so that the entire industry as a whole is catapulted.

Which goes back to the main question. If Sony and Microsoft sense that another mass market/blue ocean strategy is underway then they may plan very well in advance rather than play catch-up only as soon as the Switch is successful - they would lose too many customers between the Switch's launch and their launch (if it was a success.)

What I'm getting at is that from a business stand-point it may make sense to follow suit before tha launch purely as a fail-safe.

They can't make a hybrid.

It's too late to hybrid the PS4 and the PS5/Scorpio is too powerful.

They would have to make their own dedicated handheld and that brings with it it's own problems. Meanwhile if Nintendo's next portable fails, a scenario that has never happened, they still have the option to move upstream with less demanding, mass market IPs for VR.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I figure Sony and MS will just continue doing their own thing. I don't see them following Nintendo with this hybrid console idea, as they are kinda busy with their own ideas.

Though, if the Switch is a major success, I could see both companies giving it more consideration.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I don't think the Xbox brand is threatened by Switch whatsoever. They already counter it with better hardware and online. Sony might face some competition since they're also Japanese branded and their online is weak, but they still beat the Switch with performance.

Software is Nintendo's ace, but knowing them it'll be slim pickings at launch and for the first year.

Seventizz said:
I don't think the Xbox brand is threatened by Switch whatsoever. They already counter it with better hardware and online. Sony might face some competition since they're also Japanese branded and their online is weak, but they still beat the Switch with performance.

Software is Nintendo's ace, but knowing them it'll be slim pickings at launch and for the first year.

@Bolded: Have you not been paying attention to Sony for the past couple years now?  Their online experience isn't exactly weak.  Online functionality has been a mainstay during the entire run of the PS4 and a large part of the PS3 days.

Intrinsic said:
Nautilus said:

But I disagree on basically the rest.Nintendo is not giving up on anything.Switch is what everyone especulated to be:a hybrid.Or in another word, both a home console and a handheld.It is simply silly to think 'its a handheld being treated as a home console'.When it has functions from both home console and handheld, then by consequence it is both.Just because Nintendo wants to atract the handheld market to it to strenghten its installed base, dosent make it a handheld system.

Because you can do both doesnt make it both. If you look at any hardwsre sincerely, you will see exactly what it is.

So is the PS4 also a mobile console bavuse it has apps like remote play? 

The switch can exist entirely without a TV. and all its hardware is in the tablet or handheld device. That it comes with a dovk allowing you connect it to a TV doesn't make it a home console. Especially when you co sider that the "home console" controller is something you actually buy seperately. 

And let's look at the hardware. It uses carts (and that top out at 15GB), using an arm processor that about half as powerful as the XB1. Does any of that sound like a "home console" to you?

I'm not saying you can't use it as one and that it won't serve as one to most people. I'm just saying that it's obvious that the design direction for it was for it to be a handheld. eveything about it says that's what they were trying to do. they didn't make a home console portable. they made a handheld console dockable. The console has a battery in it for crying out loud. 

But if you do both it could also mean that it can be both.That argument go both ways.

The PS4 excuse is a bad example, simply because the PS4 wasnt designed from the start to be portable as an handheld.I think a better example as to how Switch is a hybrid console, due to it being designed from the start to be so, is the example you gave comparing the PS camera for the PS 2 and the Wii.Yes, if you bought all the extra components and acessories, the PS2 could also have motion controls for very specific games, but the PS2 wasnt designed around that.In other words, if you bought the base model, it was just a traditional console.The Wii in the other hand, it was a motion control based system from the get-go, with all games potentially having those type of controls if the developer put them in.It was designed that way.Same with Vita and VitaTV.Thats why, even if you transport a PS4 from one place to the other, it will still be a home console, while the Switch is a hybrid.It is pretty obvious.

Again, the third paragraph is simply answered by my first paragraph.Just because it has a screen to it, dosent mean its primerely a handheld.The same way that just because the Wii dont have tradicional controllers, it dosent mean it isnt a home console.Tecnology evolves, and what we might have considered yesterday features essentials for a phone, for example, can have totally different functions tomorrow, even if it retains the basic functions of what a phone is supposed to be.The same works for consoles.I mean, back to your weak controller argument, back in the 80s the "traditional controller" was completely diferrent of what we see as a controller nowadays, yet we call the same thing.Plus the regular controler for the Switch is the joy-cons, which can turn into a more regular looking controller, which is another point that makes your argument moot.

And as for the carts, really?Physical media is what defines a console?For your information, outside of price, carts are superior to discs in every way.Or most anyway.Plus, in the past regular physical media was guess what?Carts.So yeah....

In the end, the obvious design is a hybrid system, wether you like to admit it or not.It was designed that way.It is being marketed that way.I dont know how on earth you can read that message any other way.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Rab said:
bananaking21 said:
They won't care.

And it's hilarious that you think Nintendo are market leaders.

Nintendo have the largest install base playing their systems 

Pls elaborate. I'm really interested to hear more on this notion of yours. 

Pyro as Bill said:

They can't make a hybrid.

tooIt's  late to hybrid the PS4 and the PS5/Scorpio is too powerful.

They would have to make their own dedicated handheld and that brings with it it's own problems. Meanwhile if Nintendo's next portable fails, a scenario that has never happened, they still have the option to move upstream with less demanding, mass market IPs for VR.

And thats where this whole theory of yours falls flat on its head. They couldn't even make a hybrid PS4/XB1 if they wanted to Those consoles are already too powerful to fit into a handheld from factor as is. What kinda batter would power them? how big would they be? How would they fit that massive fan and heat sink into it?

This is why I keep saying what I've said. The switch is a handheld console. it was designed for that. Eveeything about how it was designed ensures it can work in a handheld capacity. It's not a home console. It just has a dock. There is a world of difference when designing a home and a mobile console. The differences are so much that it's just not possible to design something that does both perfectly. 

By the time 3nm fabrication comes along, which could very well be in another 8-10yrs, you will have PS4 level hardware that can fit into a handheld form factor. but by then, the home consoles would have significantly more powerful chips than that that fits into a console form factor. Complete with massive Dan's and heat sinks and massive PCUs..... it's a cycle. 

the two markets aremt the same. no matter how much you want them to be. 

Neodegenerate said:
Seventizz said:

@Bolded: Have you not been paying attention to Sony for the past couple years now?  Their online experience isn't exactly weak.  Online functionality has been a mainstay during the entire run of the PS4 and a large part of the PS3 days.

I wouldn't agree with that at all.  Last month PSN was hit hard twice by DDoS attacks and there's been reports recently that PSN accounts in the U.K. are regularly hacked.  I'm not trying to start a flame war, but it's pretty obvious to anyone who's not a fanboy that Sony's online infrastructure is weak comparatively.