By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Forget trump/hilliary. How about the Pot vote?

Vote Yes or No to legalise.

Yes 123 71.51%

No 49 28.49%

Total:172
Soundwave said:

Legalize it.

You're not stopping anyone who really wants pot from getting it anyway and making it "taboo" only makes it more popular with kids.

And that money is going to go somewhere no matter what, why shouldn't it be a revenue generator rather than going to some Mexican cartel. 

And making it illegal only floods our prison system with unnecessary people that cost TAX MONEY (hey now maybe conservatives might get their panties in a wad over it) to keep them in jail for petty crimes. Prisoners don't magically pay for themselves while they're in prison, you might want to realize that. 

Jenga! Whatever that means. ( It means I agree...shhhhhh )

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
Soundwave said:

This guy doesn't look normal to me either. Should we legislate hamburgers too? I'm fairly certain obesity kills more people than pot. 

Virtually anything can be bad for you if you over induldge in it. 

Well, I guess America has laws about driving under the influence, so that part is covered either way. I think it is a bad idea, but I do not have strong feelings about it, specially because I am also a ex-junkie and my father was. You do not get high by tobacco, but I agree with you: alchool can make a person totally wasted and dangerous, but, you know, it is impossible to forbid alchool, remember the Al Capone fiasco back in the 20s.

But the mere fact that George Soros is behind it tells me it is a terrible idea.

However, I do not have strong feelings about this as a legislation issue: if something harms a person and his family, soon enough they will drop it or the family will be destroyed. Users will skyrocket, I am sure, but I do not see it as a very important issue.

America should keep some states dope free and the rest not. If you are a junkie, you can live in those. That is a solution...

That would be ridiculous, first of all the majority of pot users are not "junkies". A huge chunk of college students use pot, they're all "junkies"?

Having a country where something like marijuana is legal in half the states but can get you thrown in prison in the other half is stupid. 

But hey in that sense, then the people in those "illegal" states should then also have to pay higher taxes to cover the higher prison population for petty marijuana violations. So they can put their money where their mouth is. 

For profit prisons are actually the main lobby group against legalizing, because they know if pot were legal everywhere the prison population would drop (which is paid for by tax payers) and that's bad for them. Gotta keep those prisons full. 

Yes, it cures and reduces the risk of cancer, and proven helpful for treating a variety of medical conditions. By making marijuana legal it would put less people in jail for petty crimes like possession.

700,993 Number of marijuana arrests in 2014. Do you know how many tax dollars goes into prison just to keep these people in? It is ridiculous.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
StarOcean said:
Ouroboros24 said:

"See, I don't get this argument."

I don't see how you don't.  It's simple equality.  Alcohol, which is worst than weed in almost all aspects, is legal.  Marijuana, which is less harmful than alcohol, is illegal.  The arguement is simply: why is a substance less harmful illegal, while the more harmful substance is legal.  Its just a wrong that needs to be right. 

I don't disagree with them being bad. No, let's make them illegal too

Should we also ban sugar? Where do you draw the line?

StarOcean said:
VGPolyglot said:

That sounds a lot like slavery.

If it was, it'd be indiscriminate slavery. However, people in prison already do free labor. I suggest it just be expanded on

Well, just because it already happens doesn't mean it's right. I say that it's very unfair for people to work with no compensation. Prisoners are still human, and a lot of them are there for non-violent crimes.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
WagnerPaiva said:

Well, I guess America has laws about driving under the influence, so that part is covered either way. I think it is a bad idea, but I do not have strong feelings about it, specially because I am also a ex-junkie and my father was. You do not get high by tobacco, but I agree with you: alchool can make a person totally wasted and dangerous, but, you know, it is impossible to forbid alchool, remember the Al Capone fiasco back in the 20s.

But the mere fact that George Soros is behind it tells me it is a terrible idea.

However, I do not have strong feelings about this as a legislation issue: if something harms a person and his family, soon enough they will drop it or the family will be destroyed. Users will skyrocket, I am sure, but I do not see it as a very important issue.

America should keep some states dope free and the rest not. If you are a junkie, you can live in those. That is a solution...

That would be ridiculous, first of all the majority of pot users are not "junkies". A huge chunk of college students use pot, they're all "junkies"?

Having a country where something like marijuana is legal in half the states but can get you thrown in prison in the other half is stupid. 

But hey in that sense, then the people in those "illegal" states should then also have to pay higher taxes to cover the higher prison population for petty marijuana violations. So they can put their money where their mouth is. 

For profit prisons are actually the main lobby group against legalizing, because they know if pot were legal everywhere the prison population would drop (which is paid for by tax payers) and that's bad for them. Gotta keep those prisons full. 

A junkie is someone that can not stop using the drug I guess, has to use it everyday, or every other day.

There are a bunch of states in the US where hemp is legal already. It is not ridiculous, the US is a true federarion, it can have 50 diferent penal codes, one for each state.

I know that, for a fact, some states have death penalty and other do not. And that is a harder issue than hemp, I am sure.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

VGPolyglot said:
StarOcean said:

If it was, it'd be indiscriminate slavery. However, people in prison already do free labor. I suggest it just be expanded on

Well, just because it already happens doesn't mean it's right. I say that it's very unfair for people to work with no compensation. Prisoners are still human, and a lot of them are there for non-violent crimes.

Isn't that the same argument I used about pot that you disagreed with?

deskpro2k3 said:
Yes, it cures and reduces the risk of cancer, and proven helpful for treating a variety of medical conditions. By making marijuana legal it would put less people in jail for petty crimes like possession.

700,993 Number of marijuana arrests in 2014. Do you know how many tax dollars goes into prison just to keep these people in? It is ridiculous.

Well, I guess we could sell it in capsules then. This way you get the benefit of it without the smell and getting high.

It would be wise to find out what in hemp cures cancer and sell that particular substance in capsules.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Teeqoz said:
StarOcean said:

I don't disagree with them being bad. No, let's make them illegal too

Should we also ban sugar? Where do you draw the line?

We could. Humans are stupid creatures in a general sense; practically need to be spoon-fed in order to do anything right. I would draw the line at near term and overall long term effects really. 

Ouroboros24 said:
StarOcean said:

See, I don't get this argument. I think those things are bad as well. However, I do not consider pot an alcohol but a medicine. And I know people who support legalization take pride in the "zero deaths" thing but I call that absolute horse shit. People do die of it. It may not be high but there are people who die from it. But pointing the finger at other bad things doesn't make something else less bad. Abuse of medicine is still abuse.

"See, I don't get this argument."

I don't see how you don't.  It's simple equality.  Alcohol, which is worst than weed in almost all aspects, is legal.  Marijuana, which is less harmful than alcohol, is illegal.  The arguement is simply: why is a substance less harmful illegal, while the more harmful substance is legal.  Its just a wrong that needs to be right. 

The way I see it is that the argument however does not stand for legalizing weed. The argument is for maintaining internal consistancy. Meaning that if you believe someone should not use marijuana, you must also believe someone should not use alcohol in order to maintain rationality. This makes me think that the argument does not stand for legalizing weed because besides the option of having both be legal, the premise of the argument presents one with the possiblity that outlawing both is what needs to be done.