By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Forget trump/hilliary. How about the Pot vote?

Vote Yes or No to legalise.

Yes 123 71.51%

No 49 28.49%

Total:172

Prohibition doesn't work. All it does is drive the products to the black market. Then you have gang wars everywhere. Remember Al Capone? That's what he was about. They did illegalize alcohol so all the gangs went out of their way to provide it leaving a trail of bodies in their wake.

Keeping marijuana illegal is making a harmless drug harmful. Instead of having safe dispensaries for the drug, we have druglords manufacturing the stuff. You know they often lace marijuana with something more addictive so someone thinking they're taking a harmless joint is actually smoking crack.

This is prohibition. Money goes to the drug lords, the government spends BILLIONS jailing people whose only crime is smoking a harmless substance.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I teach in a school where you smell marijuana frequently (kids smoke it a ton here or at home then come here smelling like it). The kids that smoke it have no concern for their education; they don't care about advancing themselves at all or helping out society, not to mention the smell gives me a huge headache while I'm trying to teach a bunch of teenagers that already given me massive headaches with their attitude problems.

Similar to tobacco and alcohol I would restrict use to adults.  Of course I am in the camp that takes issue with amount of added sugar kids consume these days.

Adults should be held repsonsible for their decisions and children should be educated to best prepare them for those decisions.

Given it is illegal and people use it anyways reminds me of the prohibition era arguments against alcohol.  Western civilization will endure.

Soundwave said:
-CraZed- said:
Federally yes. They have no authority over this issue.

State level below, No.

But each state should decide that for themselves.

I don't really like that idea personally. 

Imagine for a moment this was applied to alcohol and you buy a case of beer in California, then cross into Arizona where lets say it's illegal. So now you can be arrested for having beer there? 

It's just stupid. 

Eventually marijuana will be legal, it's just a matter of time now. Once it was legal in even one of the mainland states it was eventually going to be legalized everywhere. 

Its already like that. I just moved to Texas last December. Here in the Austin area you cannot purchase Alcohol before 11am on Sundays. There are still 11 "dry counties" in this state and some where only beer is legal to consume. I was initially taken aback at this concept. I had no idea. Eventually I settled in here (it's great BTW) and it doesn't bother me one bit, though I'd never live in a dry county or city I support those communities' rights to govern themselves.

And yes you could be arrested for it. Just like you could be arrested for carrying a loaded firearm across those very same state lines from Az to Ca. Even though you have a 2nd amendment right to a firearm. Same way you could be ticketed for the tint of your windows because perhaps those states differ on how dark your windows can be. We have a myriad of laws that are different from state to state. Marijuana laws would be no different than any other in application.

It's not stupid at all. It's a concept called freedom. Each state, county, city, township can decide for themselves their own laws where the Federal government has no authority and drug laws is just one of many. If you don't like the law in one place you can move to another.

I guarantee you it won't be legal everywhere, not in our lifetime anyways. 

-CraZed- said:

Its already like that. I just moved to Texas last December. Here in the Austin area you cannot purchase Alcohol before 11am on Sundays.

Just wanted to let you know that it is actually noon.  You can't buy beer before noon on Sundays and hard liquor stores are closed on Sundays.  You can still order shots at a bar though which I think is hypocrisy.  I've been in Austin area for awhile now and accidentally went to the store too early on Sundays before so I've experienced it first hand.  Good old blue laws.

VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

I'm not Daredevil. I'm Punisher. I don't care about "being no better than them", I care more about punishment to match the crime.If they don't like a life of servitude after killing several people, then they can choose the death penalty instead.

You do realize that there are people that are falsely convicted, right?

Yes, a friend of mine was. But I'm pretty sure there would be stipulations, like "If you have more than three credible eye-witnesses", which is a stipulation that accelerates execution in Texas.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

I think more people die of it because it is illigal, also making it legal/illegal will not stop people buying it and on the street it is produced more cheap and more dangerous for the health, so for me the benefits massively outweighs the bad.     

So more healthy
More tourists will try it, so more tax income..so more jobs get created so again more tax income

sethnintendo said:
-CraZed- said:

Its already like that. I just moved to Texas last December. Here in the Austin area you cannot purchase Alcohol before 11am on Sundays.

Just wanted to let you know that it is actually noon.  You can't buy beer before noon on Sundays and hard liquor stores are closed on Sundays.  You can still order shots at a bar though which I think is hypocrisy.  I've been in Austin area for awhile now and accidentally went to the store too early on Sundays before so I've experienced it first hand.  Good old blue laws.

You're correct it's noon in Travis county. Was just recently in Houston and my wife couldn't order a mimosa at our hotel until after 11 am. Juxtaposed the two experiences. Thanks for the correction :)

Great timing for pot legalization. They'll need it.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5