By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch Isn’t Replacing the 3DS, Says Nintendo

The Switch Isn’t Replacing the 3DS, Says Nintendo

Earlier this month, Nintendo officially revealed the Nintendo Switch – their upcoming console, built to marry the portable and home experiences. With the release of the system set for March 2017, some were unsure as to the status of 3DS going forward.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima touched on Nintendo’s longstanding portable system, and their plans for the future.

"Thanks to our software, the 3DS hardware is still growing. So that business still has momentum. And certainly rather than being cannibalised by the Switch, we think the 3DS can continue in its own form," Kimishima said.

Contrary to promotional material for systems like the Wii and Wii U, the reveal video for the Switch featured very few children and families playing it, leading many to speculate as to the console’s core demographic.

"Our core philosophy is that we want to increase the number of gamers at all ages and there's no change to that," Kimishima went on to say. "So we have no intention to lean just towards core gamers. But to communicate our new idea, when you think about who will understand it first, naturally it will be people who really understand games. To communicate that as quickly as possible, we focused on those folks who really understand games."

The Nintendo Switch is set to release in March, 2017.

http://nzgamer.com/news/10673/the-switch-isn-t-replacing-the-3ds-says-nintendo.html

Around the Network

Lol.

Switch fails                      -> O well, continue with 3DS/DS brand
Switch succeeds             -> What is a 3DS again...?

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Lol.

Switch fails                      -> O well, continue with 3DS/DS brand
Switch succeeds             -> What is a 3DS again...?

This.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Just Nintendo PR because 3DS has holiday season ahead, of course that will replace 3DS and Wii U.

Around the Network

It kinda sounds like they don't want to retire it so quickly after the release of the Switch, and I think that's okay. Just... as long as they don't continue doing weird console-to-portable ports. I'm getting tired of those -_-;

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

So which big first party games for 3DS has Nintendo announced for 2017/2018 yet?

Conina said:
So which big first party games for 3DS has Nintendo announced for 2017/2018 yet?

.......Pikmin 3DS? Not really big though.

I really want a new Gameboy. Inexpensive hardware ($99 at launch), games priced at $19.99, download only. Think the next Gameboy Micro (a bit bigger maybe). I'd be totally into that.

This reminds me of the DS being a "third pillar". But I know Europe will be getting quite a few third party games in 2017 and it's really cool they'll support the platform a little longer.

Conina said:

Yoshi & Poochy's Woolly World

Mario Sports Superstars

Pikmin 3DS

They are also publishing Dragon Quest VII and will probably do the same for Yokai Watch 3 and a few other games.

Really this is all just PR talk like when they said DS wasnt a GBA replacement.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.