By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch Isn’t Replacing the 3DS, Says Nintendo

Darwinianevolution said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Lol.

Switch fails                      -> O well, continue with 3DS/DS brand
Switch succeeds             -> What is a 3DS again...?

This.

Yeah, they killed off frickin' GameBoy but waited until DS was a smash.

Around the Network

What if the dedicated 3ds-games end, but games on the switch get released on both (games that are probably NS first, 3ds second). Would that still count as the 3ds not being replaced?

Yes, they have said this already, nothing new here :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

It may seem like the switch should replace the 3DS, what with it being portable and all, but it would leave Nintendo without a product in that 100-200 dollar impulse buy range. This is an area where Nintendo has always done well, and it would be a bad move to leave it. This might mean supporting the 3DS longer, or it might mean a new pure handheld product.

They obviously dont want the public to the perceive that the 3ds is dying and affect sales in that regard. But yeah, obviously the NSwitch will replace the 3ds.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Too late to save 3DS Xmas HW sales but this could save SW ones thanks to supporting the existing user base with at least one more season of SW, and making sure they know it.

Aren't they releasing Pokemon this holiday season?  That should help move some systems.

Not very much for HW, after revealing a new portable + home system, people wont' believe it won't replace both existing systems quite soon after its release, but letting existing users know SW support still exist, and that some will most probably exist for Xmas 2017 too, can prevent misunderstandings and help Pokémon selling all the SW it's capable of, while a clumsy timing for Switch reveal without such explanations could have damaged its sales.
This doesn't mean that 3DS could suddenly stop selling, and its XMas sales won't be by any means terrible, but I wouldn't expect Xmas HW sales as big as if Switch hadn't been revealed. Anyhow, very good SW sales and decent HW ones is all Ninty needs this Xmas, if missing HW ones are simply delayed purchases, waiting for the Switch, actually this could be a very positive situation for the new console.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

sethnintendo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Too late to save 3DS Xmas HW sales but this could save SW ones thanks to supporting the existing user base with at least one more season of SW, and making sure they know it.

Aren't they releasing Pokemon this holiday season?  That should help move some systems.

Yes, it will. Specially with the hype Pokemon Go brought back, this is the most preordered game in the company's history after all. 

Good. Going to try to believe it for at least 5 minutes.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

^^

At least they didn't say "It isn't replacing Wii U".   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Louie said:
I really want a new Gameboy. Inexpensive hardware ($99 at launch), games priced at $19.99, download only. Think the next Gameboy Micro (a bit bigger maybe). I'd be totally into that.

This reminds me of the DS being a "third pillar". But I know Europe will be getting quite a few third party games in 2017 and it's really cool they'll support the platform a little longer.

I'd go for that Gameboy as well. But it would need $19.99 physical versions of games as well for me.