By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch Isn’t Replacing the 3DS, Says Nintendo

Not right away, at least.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

The Nintendo DS isn't replacing the Game Boy Advance, says Nintendo.

Louie said:
I really want a new Gameboy. Inexpensive hardware ($99 at launch), games priced at $19.99, download only. Think the next Gameboy Micro (a bit bigger maybe). I'd be totally into that.

This reminds me of the DS being a "third pillar". But I know Europe will be getting quite a few third party games in 2017 and it's really cool they'll support the platform a little longer.

Wouldn't that be paid mobile gaming?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The Switch will replace the 3DS, but there will probably be a short transition period between the two.

Sounds more like they don't want to cannibalize the 3ds holiday sales than anything else...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

They should wait until Nintendo Switch gets released and see the sales of it before they make comments like that.

Too late to save 3DS Xmas HW sales but this could save SW ones thanks to supporting the existing user base with at least one more season of SW, and making sure they know it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think it should, eventually, if the new machine sells well.
I tell you why:
One single console is a more economical way to approach the market, specially when it comes to have a pipeline of games and marketing for these games.
WiiU, 3DS, and now NSwitch is just too much, no console will get enough attention.
I hope the thing sells fast and Nintendo can forget about WiiU and 3DS.
Of course, some games will still come out from third party, but Nintendo does not have to bother promoting them.
If you do have a 3DS, not to worry, there are 951 games released for the handheld. You can play those. If you play and finish one each day, you have something to play for the next 3 years.

If you have a WiiU, 712 games were released, play them.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Too late to save 3DS Xmas HW sales but this could save SW ones thanks to supporting the existing user base with at least one more season of SW, and making sure they know it.

Aren't they releasing Pokemon this holiday season?  That should help move some systems.

So what will replace the 3DS then? Or will it ever be replaced?I mean I wouldn't mind because I just bought a New 3DS XL last week and I'm loving it :P