By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

Nautilus said:

Well, I still stand by the fact that I used more substance in my thread, by using other information other than the teaser trailer, but I do get were you are comming from.But I think thats the fun of it.As long as people dont feel entitled that their opinion are the fact and nothing else is true, I think everything else is game.Getting criticised or criticise other yourself is part of what make discussions fun.Just because one of my sources for my claims is the same as his, dosent mean im being hypocritical or nothing.We simply had different views of what Nintendo tried to do with the teaser.

I think I saw what they wanted to do with the teaser, the difference for me is that I think it's a fairly bad idea all in all. And the overall message of how exactly the NS should be treated is really confusing. Nintendo say it's a home console, yet the vast majority of the teaser shows the mobile aspect. The first shot of the man playing it in his actual home on an actual TV starts at 0.05 and ends at 0.20, that's 15 seconds of a person using it as a home console. Then, at 1.21 another man comes home and plugs the NS into the TV, he proceeds to play Skyrim for a whole 12 seconds before they switch to more mobile play. At 2.09, a woman is playing Super Mario in her living room, on the TV, she plays for about 10 seconds before bringing the NS out to her neighbors. At 3.06, a group of gamers plug their NS' to Tv sets in what looks like an e-sport arena, you see roughly 15 seconds of them being there but no actual gaming, but let's be kind and add it into the mix. So out of the 3.36 minute duration of the video, we see a combined total of about 52 seconds of the NS being used as an actual home console, the rest is focused on the mobile aspect and local multiplayer outside or at different venues.

Yet, Nintendo say that this is not the successor to the 3DS, as if they intend more handheld(s)? How on earth does that work? And if there is another handheld coming, why the inferior ARM setup and mobile bits to begin with? Why the tablet form factor? They've not said in their own words that it's a hybrid either, which wouldn't matter anyway so long as there's speculation on whether or not a new handheld is coming.

So apart from the features; the Switch already has identity issues, it is specified by Nintendo as a "Home Gaming System", yet their main focus in on the mobile aspects and consumers are still left in the dark as to when and if a new handheld will arrive, will it be a simpler, cheaper Switch perhaps? Who knows, and that's one of the main problems, if Nintendo adopt the "wait and see" philosophy, they can expect their would-be customers to do exactly the same. Let's not even get started on them using more or less the same tactics the Vita did to sell; home console gaming on the go, huge, immersive gaming on a tiny screen, headphones and small, unwieldly controllers you wave around or unergonomic attachments on the sides of the screen itself. Realistically, how many of the situations they showed will actually happen? Very few, perhaps even none. Instead of focusing on online and social sharing over the web, they have chosen to show people meeting up at skating rinks, basketball courts, in the car and other places to play the video game counterpart of what they could be doing in real life instead. This is just not how people play games today, nor has it ever been.

Look, I could write 10.000 words on why I think this is a bad idea at its core, but I'll wait until there's more info before passing what I believe to be my final judgement of the product. Maybe they have an ace or two up their sleeve, I sure hope they do. As mentioned; I see what they want to do with the teaser, they're trying to roll convenience, hardcore (the nod to e-sports at the end), simplicity and complexity into one unit, but this is fundamentally a bad idea, and always has been. There is no one machine for everyone, so trying to make one is futile. This really is what they were trying with the Wii U, only one step further. The teaser has a message, but it's a bad message and the thing already has a fairly prominent identity problem which sorely needs clearing up asap.

Around the Network

I agree with most of your points, yet you forget one crucial point. All the development studios of Nintendo will dedicate making NS games. The Wii U suffered to many droughts to ever pick up steam. If the NS does not have that problem it might become a succes after all. But announcing a system with unconfirmed specs and games except for Zelda is pretty stupid.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
I agree with most of your points, yet you forget one crucial point. All the development studios of Nintendo will dedicate making NS games. The Wii U suffered to many droughts to ever pick up steam. If the NS does not have that problem it might become a succes after all. But announcing a system with unconfirmed specs and games except for Zelda is pretty stupid.

Has it ever been stated that Nintendo will dedicate all studios to making NS games?  Last I read they aren't looking at this as a 3DS successor and will have a handheld later.  One can assume they're lying but until otherwise stated I'd rather just assume they're being truthful and therefore there's no reason to believe that every Nintendo developed game will be on NS.

Faelco said:
GoOnKid said:

Is there any situation where you wouldn't complain? If they hadn't shown the NS, you would complain about leaving the field for Sony/MS, too. If they released it this holiday, you would complain that they wouldn't give Pokemon a fair chance. I think you simply WANT to complain either way, no matter what NIntendo did.

Wut? I couldn't care less about how Pokemon will be doing this Christmas. If you think that Pokemon should be afraid of the Switch's marketing lowering its sales, I think it's wrong to the point of being laughable. They could also have waited before announcing it in January, I wouldn't complain either (it would be an error IMO, but I wouldn't complain). 

The only thing I complain about is that we endured A YEAR of BS threads about "NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX NX", to get to a BS reveal with absolutely nothing in it, and now we have the same BS threads but with only one different word "Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch Switch" and absolutely no additional substance, and we'll still have the same BS threads for months until the real reveal. The forums are full of 1875358 NX/Switch threads and 90% of them say the exact same things, most of them being useless or completely irrealistic rumors or predictions ("Guys, I know the NX will sell more than 1 billion console"/"Guys, I know the NX will sell 10 consoles only"). No wonder people are saying that the forums are less healthy now than a few years ago. It's not only because of the charts not being updated, it's also because of the constant spam, and the aggressivity towards anyone not overhyped by the last fart a developer did when someone said the name NX/Switch.

Look at the threads' content and OPs : you can say that you're sure that the NX will be the best console ever made, no problem, but if you dare to say that Nintendo should have given us more info, you're a hater just wanting to complain. The community has a problem with this console and it would be great if we could debate about it without being complete fanatics, and talk about marketing, strategy, audiences, numbers without going immediately in "you simply want to complain either way no matter what Nintendo did" (great repartee by the way). Unfortunately, we can't. So yes, it just gives the impression that anyone not overhyped about the Switch should STFU and GTFO of the forums. That's pretty sad.

No, that's not how it is. People get such answers because they are simply reading too much between the lines, speculting way too many possibilities and either dooming or glooming. But first, this was just a teaser. If you expected to have more answers after it, just like this confused OP we have here, you're to blame yourself. Just relax, have a cup of tea, time will tell. Just have patience.

Having doubts about the console is okay, I'm not fully convinced either because I somehow haven't got used to the design yet. What I don't like are opinions stated as facts or opinions based on rumours which are sold as facts. This happens way too often, unfortunately. I'm not adressing you in particular, just something that's on my mind. Doubters either supersize non-relevant issues or ignore clearly visible positives.

We need doubters for sure, or else there couldn't be discussions, but I think doubters should bring better arguments.

oniyide said:
Xen said:

I would say you are too much of a fan.

The only thing this has going for it is that it will probably see additional support in the face of support migrating from the 3DS. Otherwise, much like the Wii U, it's a solution without a problem to solve.

• Headfirst to a market probably without having much 3rd party support - home consoles. I could be proven wrong, but so far, that is what it seems.
  • Maybe...headfirst to a market without much breathing space - mobile.
  • No matter the amount of black magic and coding wonder, the thermal/power envelope this fits in is much more restricitive than XBO/PS4. Doesn't help that the rumored specs are nothing like the XBO/PS4.
  • Rather big, cumbersome, powerful for a mobile -> probably a low battery life, and a bitch to carry around.
  • If it is both the next home console and mobile platform, it's gonna take a while for 3rd party devs to ramp up their games from 3DS to NS standards, on a technological level, given that they now need to cater to both. Also, pricing will now most likely need to be unified, forget your cheaper 3DS games.
This is exactly a more evolved Wii U, still a solution to a problem that does not exist. How is it that all the PS4/XBO players are fine gaming simply on their TV? Do you frequently wish you could just turn off the TV and continue playing Uncharted 4 on the train? Probably not.
Why is it that Sony can succeed without any gimmicks? If it really tries to appeal to both markets, it's not doing well for either one. Too anemic for home, and probably too power hungry, expensive, and cumbersome for mobile.

I think this is a great question and one that not even Ninty themselves know

Sony still copied every gimmick Nintendo has introduced, whether it worked out or not.

Around the Network

Why is it that Sony can succeed without any gimmicks? If it really tries to appeal to both markets, it's not doing well for either one. Too anemic for home, and probably too power hungry, expensive, and cumbersome for mobile.

It's pretty easy to understand why people buy a playstation homeconsole:

Great third party support.

Refreshing and plenty of mostly high quality first and second party games.

The image, legacy and name of playstation.

Decent and functional dedicated hardware dedicated for gaming and a bit multimedia.

They locked doen Europe with smart advertising and a very diversed first party support.

Qwark said:

It's pretty easy to understand why people buy a playstation homeconsole:

Great third party support.

Refreshing and plenty of mostly high quality first and second party games.

The image, legacy and name of playstation.

Decent and functional dedicated hardware dedicated for gaming and a bit multimedia.

They locked doen Europe with smart advertising and a very diversed first party support.

Yup, I think that's it. The numbered consoles make it very easy to understand that a 4 is higher than a 3 and therefore better. And by naming all consoles the same, the brand has had 20 years of drilling itself into the consumers' head while NIntendo names each console differently, safe for Wii/Wii U, and we all know what happened. Having said that, giving the new console the name Switch has the function of diversification on one hand but the risk of losing a connection on the other. But then again, as soon as Mario's face is shown, everyone knows what's up, so maybe this problem isn't all that big. Personally, I would wish they threw the word "Nintendo" around as often as they can, too, in order to set an anchor in the consumers' heads next to Mario's face.

GoOnKid said:
oniyide said:

Sony still copied every gimmick Nintendo has introduced, whether it worked out or not.

Nintendo also copied Sony plenty of times. Adding an analogue stick to a handheld for instance. 3D gaming was done on the PS3 before the 3DS was announced. The Gamecube controller and the Wii U pro and Wii pro controller use the exact same layout of the dualshock 2 sticks, four buttons, a dpad, triggers and bumpers. The Gyroscope of the Wii U is awfully close to sixthaxis function of the PS3. The concept of the WiiU with not needing a TV to play console games was also available with remote play on PS3. And playing handheld games on your TV using an external device wad pretty much the purpose of the Vita TV as was the idea to take console games on the go. Not everything worked out very well, but the big three al copy eachother not only Nintendo.

I think they are moving towards the right idea, but it could still end up badly..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

GoOnKid said:

No, that's not how it is. People get such answers because they are simply reading too much between the lines, speculting way too many possibilities and either dooming or glooming. But first, this was just a teaser. If you expected to have more answers after it, just like this confused OP we have here, you're to blame yourself. Just relax, have a cup of tea, time will tell. Just have patience.

Having doubts about the console is okay, I'm not fully convinced either because I somehow haven't got used to the design yet. What I don't like are opinions stated as facts or opinions based on rumours which are sold as facts. This happens way too often, unfortunately. I'm not adressing you in particular, just something that's on my mind. Doubters either supersize non-relevant issues or ignore clearly visible positives.

We need doubters for sure, or else there couldn't be discussions, but I think doubters should bring better arguments.

But believers don't need any other information and can announce that it will be the best selling console of all times, no problem about it. You don't need proof when you have faith, but you need proofs if you disagree with the faith. I don't know why, but it reminds me of something....

The doubters bring way better arguments than believers, but are completely ignored or are told that they're just Nintendo haters. You can say Alleluia about everything Nintendo is saying, no problem. I prefer to keep asking questions and talking about the possible issues and results of the console without being blinded by faith. At least I will have thought about any final result for the console and won't really care about it, when others will be left crying if the console is not the best console ever in a few months (it's the impression some users leave anyway).