By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Early Nintendo Switch Sales Predictions

90 million

Sales will be very close from US, EU, and Japan.

Around the Network

this is their handheld replacement despite their insistence it is not. i don't see this getting traction with the old wii audience but nintendo's core portable and home console audience that bought 3DSs and wiiUs will likely buy.

i'm going to say ~50 million.

1 device means removing redundancy on those that traditionally buy both devices.
handhelds are dying so the portable would have been down 10-20% regardless.

80 million

Edit: Only if it's priced 250$ or less.

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan

Impossible to know now, but probably around what 3DS did or more.

I think less than 3DS, but it's hard to make any kind of definitive prediction on the basis of a 3 minute trailer with no info on price, other specific games, and many other issues.

3DS was a bit lucky in that it had a year or two where it didn't face the full brunt of damage from cheap tablets. When 3DS launched, iPad was basically the defacto tablet and it was expensive, only adults and really rich teenagers had them, but as tablets became so cheap that even little kids could have their own, we saw 3DS sales become stunted, and Switch (damnit keep wanting to say NX) is going to have to deal with that from day 1.

I think Nintendo has to allow Android apps somehow. Maybe not all of them, but at least the most popular ones. You can't ask kids to choose between their Android tablet and Switch. They love their apps and they aren't going to give those up, Nintendo has to be the one that bends, besides you can still make money off Android apps.

Not launching for Christmas is really regrettable, especially since from what I'm seeing from the hardware doesn't seem all that special. Really a wasted oppurtunity by Nintendo, March is a much shittier time to launch. 

Around the Network

Just for the heck of it I'll go with 65 Million

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Hard to say with limited information

I would dare say it has the potential to hit 100M but who knows?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

60 million

Lawlight said:
Volterra_90 said:

I think that this is it, N€ s sdo handheld + home console. So, maybe about 80M, which is more or less the current user base. And I think it's a safe bet, if they're not planning on releasing another handheld, which I think it's pretty much pointless right now. It's obvious that it won't sell 20M like some people are claiming. 80 might be a bit too much, but I think it's realistic. 50M minimum. C'mon, Pokémon games, Mario games, will all come in the same console. No way this could sell that quantity. I'll eat crow gladly if that happen though XD.

Here's what you're not taking into consideration:

1. These userbases overlap. So, how many WiiU owners don't own a 3DS?

2. Multiple revisions. The 3DS has had so many revisions that there's a bit overlap between buyers.

3. Price. You can get a 2DS for than $100 and 3DS XLs for less than $150. Keep in mind that the 3DS sales only took off when the price was cut to $169. Will the Switch go for those prices?

That's fair. Still, I think that the consolw concept is much more attractive than WiiU/3DS, so I expect they could attract new users to the Nintendo ecosystem. I still mantain my prediction. 50M is the lower mark. 50-80M is my guess.

I think about 60-70M, if Switch is really the continuation of both Wii U and 3DS. A huge hit in Japan is basically guaranteed, and with the developers of the 3DS flocking over to Switch, there will be no drought this time around even if the major western publishers would decide to jump ship... again.

For those who are asking "why not more then?", 3 reasons:

First one: The price. Switch will be way more expensive than a 3DS no matter what during the latter's lifetime, and not much cheaper than Playstation or Xbox at least early on. This will hamper sales early on, and delay the move from 3DS to Swich by the developers.

Second: A shrinking console market overall. While not shrinking as fast anymore as in the past, it's still on a downward trend. With the PS4/Pro already having a big chunk of the market and Project Scorpio probably taking a good chunk too, there is just not enough left for Nintendo to get bigger sales.

Third: Probably short lifespan due to the power limitations of a hybrid console. Though a pure mobile version could continue well into the future, the home console part will be outmatched as soon as no games will be made for the "base" PS4 and Xbox ONE/S. Which would mean creating Assets just for that console, which is probably too expensive for the big publishers by that time.