By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect is still cool, right?

Tagged games:

Ka-pi96 said:
I have a kinect. Got it with my Xbox One. Only used it for the kinect sports demo and then never again. It`s kinda meh to be honest.

That's the stinging point for a lot of people at the Kinect 2.0 I think, the fact that it was packed in, you didn't have an option as to if you wanted it or not, sure you got a Demo of Kinect sports on the X1 too... but you could uninstall that if it wasn't to your liking, you don't have an option to take back the Kinect portion of the console if it wasn't to your tastes based on the demo'd software so for lots of people who got the Vanilla X1 it's just there sat in a box or gathering dust on a shelf rather than being the integral part of the console that MS thought and suggested that it would be.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Oh my fucking god the tagged game..... NOoooooooooooooooooooooo make it stop!!

I'm soooolllloooooo I'm han soloooooo, Ruining his memories from SW ep 7 :( damn it

Seriously... those lyrics should be banned.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Kinect 2.0 is basically the HD dvd drive of this gen, only difference it was mandatory. Supported at the started but abandoned soon after.

You know what? Kinect / motion controls are still a great way to gather people together around a videogame console.

Still use mine every day for voice command use.

Games that utilize it are of course rare but FRU is recent and good.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I have a kinect. Got it with my Xbox One. Only used it for the kinect sports demo and then never again. It`s kinda meh to be honest.

That's the stinging point for a lot of people at the Kinect 2.0 I think, the fact that it was packed in, you didn't have an option as to if you wanted it or not, sure you got a Demo of Kinect sports on the X1 too... but you could uninstall that if it wasn't to your liking, you don't have an option to take back the Kinect portion of the console if it wasn't to your tastes based on the demo'd software so for lots of people who got the Vanilla X1 it's just there sat in a box or gathering dust on a shelf rather than being the integral part of the console that MS thought and suggested that it would be.

Microsoft focused on Kinect 2 because Kinect 1 not only revived the 360 when it was seriously flagging, it juiced up sales to the point where the 360 became number one in the US for 7th gen. So they figured that Kinect was what people wanted. They didn't recognize that it was a fad. I'm sure they meant well. Then, too, Kinect 2 was also tainted by all the other bad decisions Microsoft made with the Xbox One launch and all the tone-deaf PR attempts by Don Mattrick and Adam Orth. 

Kinect is Xbox One, they go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Fanny packs where cool once.

Loved when it will sign you in when you walk into the room, also how it scans your codes without you typing them in manually and the Chat mic so you don't need a headset or mic to chat online. Had great potential to be something amazing.

Most of the time motion controls were just a tacked on gimmick that brought nothing to the games they were used in, so I have to say no. I never saw the appeal of Kinect (or Sony's motion controls for that matter).