By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect is still cool, right?

Tagged games:

Darashiva said:
Most of the time motion controls were just a tacked on gimmick that brought nothing to the games they were used in, so I have to say no. I never saw the appeal of Kinect (or Sony's motion controls for that matter).

One instance that I prefer the Wiimote + nunchuck over dual analog would be FPS.  Pointing with Wiimote seemed almost as good as using a mouse for aiming.  CoD controls on WaW and BO1 for the Wii were almost perfect in my opinion.  Just took a little time to master but once you did it was far superior to dual analog.  Sad part is that I didn't enjoy the controls for Goldeneye even though I believe they had a CoD setup under control options.  Just didn't see to have the same feel as CoD games.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Loved when it will sign you in when you walk into the room, also how it scans your codes without you typing them in manually and the Chat mic so you don't need a headset or mic to chat online. Had great potential to be something amazing.

Seems a little excessive don't you think?  What if you were simply just walking by the TV in the living room with no intention of playing a game?

sethnintendo said:
Darashiva said:
Most of the time motion controls were just a tacked on gimmick that brought nothing to the games they were used in, so I have to say no. I never saw the appeal of Kinect (or Sony's motion controls for that matter).

One instance that I prefer the Wiimote + nunchuck over dual analog would be FPS.  Pointing with Wiimote seemed almost as good as using a mouse for aiming.  CoD controls on WaW and BO1 for the Wii were almost perfect in my opinion.  Just took a little time to master but once you did it was far superior to dual analog.  Sad part is that I didn't enjoy the controls for Goldeneye even though I believe they had a CoD setup under control options.  Just didn't see to have the same feel as CoD games.

On the Wii motion controls made sense, since they were part of the mandatory control scheme. On the PS3 and 360 they just felt like pointless gimmicks trying to cash in on the unexpected success of the Wii. And even on the Wii they were very often poorly implemented and pointless, but at least they had a reason for being there. 

sethnintendo said:
Azzanation said:
Loved when it will sign you in when you walk into the room, also how it scans your codes without you typing them in manually and the Chat mic so you don't need a headset or mic to chat online. Had great potential to be something amazing.

Seems a little excessive don't you think?  What if you were simply just walking by the TV in the living room with no intention of playing a game?

It doesnt turn your console on, it signs you in if your console is already on and saves you the time in doing that. Plus it

recognises your controller so if you have a prefered button lay out you dont have to go in the options to switch it. It just knows its you. Its pretty awesome stuff. Its more conviences than anything else.

Xbox One + Kinect + Halo = 190$

W T F ?
That has to be sold at a gigantic loss.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Azzanation said:

Then what does it hurt? Xbox One owners run their TVs, Netflix, etc. through there so it signing you in automatically when it turns on lets you stream shows, play games, run any other apps you might have, etc. Since saying 'Xbox On' is how every member of my family turns the TV on in our living room for any purpose whatsoever (if the living room TV is on, the xbox is on: it turns on the audio receiver as well) then having it sign us in so we don't have to go through extra steps to get into netflix, amazon video, etc. is very helpful. In what circumstance would it be harmful?

Probably the only reason i'm still holding onto my 360, as well as the only physical games i have left for it (KS 1&2)

Doesn't get used much anymore, but the few times the kids have friends over and fire it up there is fun and laughter on display in ways they don't get from any other video games.The wife still likes to go H2H with me on ocassion to bust out a quick sweat.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Kinect is cool, but it doesn't have many applications in gaming. Maybe VR will change things.

I got a Kinect Titanfall bundle back when. I bought a second Xbox One earlier this year without a Kinect and missed it so much, I bought another one. Can't imagine an Xbox without it.

VitroBahllee said:
sethnintendo said:

Then what does it hurt? Xbox One owners run their TVs, Netflix, etc. through there so it signing you in automatically when it turns on lets you stream shows, play games, run any other apps you might have, etc. Since saying 'Xbox On' is how every member of my family turns the TV on in our living room for any purpose whatsoever (if the living room TV is on, the xbox is on: it turns on the audio receiver as well) then having it sign us in so we don't have to go through extra steps to get into netflix, amazon video, etc. is very helpful. In what circumstance would it be harmful?

Sometimes, my daughter will be playing Xbox in the game room and I'll be on the other Xbox in the living room. Every now and then, it'll sign me out on one and log me in on the other. It's rare buyt the good outweighs the bad.