By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony 'Pleasantly Surprised' by Strong PS4 Pro Pre-Orders

Cloudman said:
Teeqoz said:

Why does that mean that they had low expectations like your first commented suggested?

twintail said:

I'm questioning where your got the idea that they had 'low expectations'.

Well, from the comments "pretty good" and "pleasantly surprised" seemed to suggest pre-orders are better than expected, which can imply either they are high and exceeded them, or they are low and are well.... better than expected. From the wording used, it sounds like 2nd one.

Okay so it's no specific reason really.

Around the Network
Radek said:

Amazing news, hopefully more and more people  do a research and get 3 times more powerful console instead of a 1.4 Tflop Xbox One S for only 50$-100$ less.

900p to 4K upscaling is not even remotely the same as 1500p-1800p to 4K upscaling.

If they want Xbox they should get PS4 Pro now and Scorpio next year, Xbox One S is pointless.

But if they want to watch there 4k phyiscal disks they will save hundreds on the X1S.

They sound the same like when that time they said they've no idea why the PS Quad was selling like hot cakes.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Sounds like they will be available, so preorder demand isn't thru the roof.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Cloudman said:
Imaginedvl said:

It sounds like the second one but this very normal. Same goes with Xbox One S :)
Why on earth would a Sony executive say something different lol.

I'm kinda surprised they said anything at all. I wouldn't expect a comment unless the numbers were excellent.

Well, he was being asked about :) That's the best anwser, better than not responding hehe

Around the Network

Honestly, his statement doesn't mean much in the long-term, even if it was genuine and true.

I still think Pro will do better than I expected, thanks to the smart pricing.

LurkerJ said:

Echoing what I said in another lockedd thread, by the time the Scorpio releases, the Pro will be even cheaper, and a year later, the Pro 2 will replace the original Pro as the 399$ console.

SONY has the edge this generation and they will NOT benefit from resetting the generation cycle to zero by releasing the PS5, so they will stretch it as long as they can, it's almost too convenient that MS is following suit willingly. (and Nintendo is paving their own separate lane at this point).

It's pretty clear where console manufacturers are heading, how the market responds remains to be seen though.

Yeah, neither the console manufactures nor the software developers want to reset the hardware base to zero every new console generation.

With doubling the performance every 3 years, a strategy like this could work:

So if we get a "PS5" at the end of 2019, most "PS5 games" of the first year and many less demanding "PS5 games" of the following years could also run on a PS4 Pro with reduced settings to smoothen the transition.

Of course they would name future consoles "PS5" and "PS6" (with a PS5 Pro model between them) instead of naming future consoles "PS4 Pro Pro", "PS4 Pro Pro Pro" and "PS4 Pro Pro Pro Pro" to keep it simple... so I'm expecting a name scheme similar to iPhones (5 -> 5S -> 6 -> 6S -> 7 -> 7S...).

When you buy a "PS5 game", you can be sure, that it works on PS5, PS5 Pro, PS6 and PS6 Pro and there are good chances that it also works on a PS4 Pro, if it ain't pushing the envelope of the newest hardware.

When you buy a "PS6 game", you can be sure, that it works on PS6, PS6 Pro, PS7 and PS7 Pro and there are good chances that it also works on a PS5 Pro, if it ain't pushing the envelope of the newest hardware.

Azuren said:
LurkerJ said:

Pro 2 is just a code name. They are free to choose whatever name they think fit, as long as it builds on the momentum of the PS4, which I believe it will. 

I think just calling it a PS5 with full backwards compatibility to PS4 would be easier to understand and also give justification to exclusives. 

Yea, he's kinda contradicting himself there.  He says a Pro 2 because Sony won't want to reset the next gen, though that has never hurt them before, and then says they can call it PS5 if they want.  Calling it PS5 is what resets the gen.  Even if it's B/C with PS4, that still counts as a reset, and has been done plenty of times before.

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

Wouldn't that still mean that they had some sort of expectations?

I'm questioning where your got the idea that they had 'low expectations'.

Sorry to butt in but the quote is "Pleasantly SURPRISED". Surprised, the key word, might imply that they didn't expect something. In this case the Pre Order Numbers...

Another example of the internet being the vocal minority. This will be very successful.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3