By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony 'Pleasantly Surprised' by Strong PS4 Pro Pre-Orders

LurkerJ said:
Ultr said:

I don't think they will release a Pro2 simply because PS5 will be more powerfull by the name itself than a PRO2.

They will have a harder time to sell a ps4pro2 than a ps5.

you will never see an iphone 6s2. better call it iphone 7 so everyone knows its far supperior.

Pro 2 is just a code name. They are free to choose whatever name they think fit, as long as it builds on the momentum of the PS4, which I believe it will. 

I think just calling it a PS5 with full backwards compatibility to PS4 would be easier to understand and also give justification to exclusives. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Lawlight said:

They already took the crown back with the PS3.

Crown for 2nd maybe.

I wouldn't say the Wii was in the same market.

Imagine the sales with actual proper bundles.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Lawlight said:
thismeintiel said:

Crown for 2nd maybe.

And Sony also won with Vita.. becourse 3DS is not the same market.. (doh)

LurkerJ said:

Echoing what I said in another lockedd thread, by the time the Scorpio releases, the Pro will be even cheaper, and a year later, the Pro 2 will replace the original Pro as the 399$ console.

SONY has the edge this generation and they will NOT benefit from resetting the generation cycle to zero by releasing the PS5, so they will stretch it as long as they can, it's almost too convenient that MS is following suit willingly. (and Nintendo is paving their own separate lane at this point).

It's pretty clear where console manufacturers are heading, how the market responds remains to be seen though.

A pro 2 will be WiiU level naming disaster.

Whats most likely to happen is that we will see a PS5 around 2019/2020. And then a PS5 Pro 3-4yrs from whenever the PS5 launched. That's one of the biggest things about the iterative hardware model. It's about always having the best $399/$499 hardware you can have that will outperform whatever anyone can put together on a PC at a similar price point. Then let the price drop down and filter to the mainstream while introducing another $400/$500 console 3-4 yrs later. 

As long as the hardware sticks with X86-64 platform, they don't ever need to worry about hitting the reset button. Using the same PC architecture kinda ensures scalability. I still stand by this, come the PS5 Pro, no one will be talking about PS4/PS5 games anymore. they will just be calling them PlayStation games. You buy a game and it will just run on your console. What kinda console you have will determine what kinda experience you have. 

At some point, I expect the games to be running on the PS4 at around 600p at what would equate to low PC settings for its assets. While the PS5 Pro could be running the same game at 4k@60fps on ultra PC settings.....etc. 

Anyways..... already have mine preordered!!!! But it's good to know they plan on having lots of stock. 

Around the Network

Most powerful console on the market, easy leader for several years now, and a launch in the holiday months. Even if it's not that useful for most players, this console will obviously sell pretty well (but a lot less than the slim IMO).

Teeqoz said:
Cloudman said:

Wouldn't that still mean that they had some sort of expectations?

Why does that mean that they had low expectations like your first commented suggested?

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

Wouldn't that still mean that they had some sort of expectations?

I'm questioning where your got the idea that they had 'low expectations'.

Well, from the comments "pretty good" and "pleasantly surprised" seemed to suggest pre-orders are better than expected, which can imply either they are high and exceeded them, or they are low and are well.... better than expected. From the wording used, it sounds like 2nd one.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

FromDK said:
Lawlight said:

And Sony also won with Vita.. becourse 3DS is not the same market.. (doh)

We're talking about consoles here, mate. Keep up.

Cloudman said:
Teeqoz said:

Why does that mean that they had low expectations like your first commented suggested?

twintail said:

I'm questioning where your got the idea that they had 'low expectations'.

Well, from the comments "pretty good" and "pleasantly surprised" seemed to suggest pre-orders are better than expected, which can imply either they are high and exceeded them, or they are low and are well.... better than expected. From the wording used, it sounds like 2nd one.

It sounds like the second one but this very normal. Same goes with Xbox One S :)
Why on earth would a Sony executive say something different lol.

Imaginedvl said:
Cloudman said:

It sounds like the second one but this very normal. Same goes with Xbox One S :)
Why on earth would a Sony executive say something different lol.

I'm kinda surprised they said anything at all. I wouldn't expect a comment unless the numbers were excellent.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread