By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony 'Pleasantly Surprised' by Strong PS4 Pro Pre-Orders

Cloudman said:
What, did they have low expectations or something?

Yeah, just have low expectations and you can always publish these tipes of announcements.

Such meaningless PR talk.

Of crouse I believe the PS4 Pro will be an enormous success despite the initial negativism (remember that? When The PS4 Neo was first rumoured many Sony fans here were protesting and claiming it would fragment the player base. It's all forgetten now, which I'm very happy for), but it's not due to this sales report.

Around the Network

I guess is normal they are surprised, honestly it looked like they didn't even know why they made the pro when they were showing it and looked like 4k tv owners were the only real target here, and those are a huge minority, so it could be surprising for someone, however I thought brand power alone would be reflected in pre-orders as it happened. What happens after that is yet to be seen though.

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

Well, from the comments "pretty good" and "pleasantly surprised" seemed to suggest pre-orders are better than expected, which can imply either they are high and exceeded them, or they are low and are well.... better than expected. From the wording used, it sounds like 2nd one.

If they expected 500k (a very good number and I am not saying it is this) and have pre-orders at 750k, they can still be 'pleasant surprised'.

You are trying to draw blood from a stone by assuming they had low expectations. All we know for sure is that they had internal figures on what they assumed they would get, and currently they are doing better than that. Which is only a positive thing.

Well, it's just how I interpretted the comments being made.

Imaginedvl said:
Cloudman said:

I'm kinda surprised they said anything at all. I wouldn't expect a comment unless the numbers were excellent.

Well, he was being asked about :) That's the best anwser, better than not responding hehe

Yeah, that is likely tbe best answer they could give.

Slimebeast said:
Cloudman said:
What, did they have low expectations or something?

Yeah, just have low expectations and you can always publish these tipes of announcements.

Such meaningless PR talk.

Of crouse I believe the PS4 Pro will be an enormous success despite the initial negativism (remember that? When The PS4 Neo was first rumoured many Sony fans here were protesting and claiming it would fragment the player base. It's all forgetten now, which I'm very happy for), but it's not due to this sales report.

That's kind of how I feel with the comments that were made.

Despite my interpretations from these comments, I think the Pro will be successful. It looks like sales could just carry from the Pro, since its price is the same as how the PS4 started, kind of like the New 3DS.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

LurkerJ said:

Echoing what I said in another lockedd thread, by the time the Scorpio releases, the Pro will be even cheaper, and a year later, the Pro 2 will replace the original Pro as the 399$ console.

SONY has the edge this generation and they will NOT benefit from resetting the generation cycle to zero by releasing the PS5, so they will stretch it as long as they can, it's almost too convenient that MS is following suit willingly. (and Nintendo is paving their own separate lane at this point).

It's pretty clear where console manufacturers are heading, how the market responds remains to be seen though.

Sony already said that PS4Pro will be the only mid-gen upgraded PS4 system

Azzanation said:
Radek said:

Amazing news, hopefully more and more people  do a research and get 3 times more powerful console instead of a 1.4 Tflop Xbox One S for only 50$-100$ less.

900p to 4K upscaling is not even remotely the same as 1500p-1800p to 4K upscaling.

If they want Xbox they should get PS4 Pro now and Scorpio next year, Xbox One S is pointless.

But if they want to watch there 4k phyiscal disks they will save hundreds on the X1S.

Do you mean like how they could've saved hundreds by buying a PS3 instead of a 360 to watch blurays?Instead they bought the 360s anyway because they wanted to play games?

Ot

Well it's obviously doing better they expected.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Azuren said:

I think just calling it a PS5 with full backwards compatibility to PS4 would be easier to understand and also give justification to exclusives. 

Yea, he's kinda contradicting himself there.  He says a Pro 2 because Sony won't want to reset the next gen, though that has never hurt them before, and then says they can call it PS5 if they want.  Calling it PS5 is what resets the gen.  Even if it's B/C with PS4, that still counts as a reset, and has been done plenty of times before.

Just because resetting generations has worked well in the past, it doesn't mean there aren't better ways to do things.

SONY profit margins on Playstation hardware are very thin, and in many cases, they were sold at a loss for many years, they make more money selling software, selling PSN subscriptions, Playstation Vue if that's a thing and so on. Selling playstation consoles is important, what availabe playstation model sells the most isn't nearly as important if your money-maker is the software and locking consumers into your ecosystem.

I believe the PS4 Pro will play All PS5 (or whatever it's called) games, that's a clear departure from simply releasing a new console with BC. Developers can easily make it work, for years, we've gotten cross-generational games with the PS3 despite the vastly different architecture. That barrier should be gone and ALL developers can wisely choose to make their games for the Pro and the PS5 to maximize profits. Just like Android and PC developers make their software avaiable to an exceedingly large amount of different hardware

Don't ask me "even if SONY doesn't care what available playstation model you buy, what's the point of buying a PS5 for the consumer?", the answer is "What's the point of buying a PS4 Pro?"

Consumers will always buy consoles to play video games, many consumers will buy the best consoles they can get. SONY should appeal to both. Because for SONY, it's all the same, they make pathetic amounts of profits on hardware, so their goal should shift to maximizing the userbase that they can sell the software to, you can bet third-party developers want the same thing too, since they are not in the business of selling hardware. SONY has done all the right steps to please third party developers this time, and the let go of the old "resetting the user-base to zero" concept is an extension of those right steps. 

Goodnightmoon said:

I guess is normal they are surprised, honestly it looked like they didn't even know why they made the pro when they were showing it and looked like 4k tv owners were the only real target here, and those are a huge minority, so it could be surprising for someone, however I thought brand power alone would be reflected in pre-orders as it happened. What happens after that is yet to be seen though.

You buy the Pro for the same reason you buy the Note 7 instead of the Note 6, the iPhone 6s instead of the 6. People are on board with that, that's enough of a point from the consumers' perspective. You don't need more reasons. 

For SONY, it doesn't matter which model you buy, they make money from selling software and PSN subscriptions. SONY profit margins on hardware have always been mediocre at best, hemorrhaging and costly at worst, which has been the case many times. 

Cloudman said:
Imaginedvl said:

It sounds like the second one but this very normal. Same goes with Xbox One S :)
Why on earth would a Sony executive say something different lol.

I'm kinda surprised they said anything at all. I wouldn't expect a comment unless the numbers were excellent.

I don't think businesses look at prospective products with "high" or "low" expectations. They simply have a number that they come up with through market analysis and then make a forecast. Sounds like pre orders are exceeding their forecast, there's nothing in the statement that suggests low expectations so I don't know how you could've perceived that.

REDZONE said:
Azzanation said:

But if they want to watch there 4k phyiscal disks they will save hundreds on the X1S.

Do you mean like how they could've saved hundreds by buying a PS3 instead of a 360 to watch blurays?Instead they bought the 360s anyway because they wanted to play games?

Ot

Well it's obviously doing better they expected.

No, he meant save hundreds by buying the Pro as it will support VR :p

OT considering the backlash they've had and people like KFG acting a fool, I'm sure they are surprised. It's number 2 on Amazon US, number 12 on Amazon UK, 3 in germany and 20 in France.

Japan is the only place where it's not in the top 20, but the slim is 3rd & 4th.

Sony played it safe with the upgrade and the price. For 100$ more I think the  PS4pro is justifiable and a good purchase. A standard PS4 owner too should not feel missed out or angry due to PS4Pro