By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Warcraft Vanilla vs Legion Comparison

Tagged games:

World of Warcraft was released in November 23, 2004 by one of the most dedicated and passionate teams in the gaming industry. Since 2004 the game has broken records and still today is the MMO everyone is trying to beat. If you’re a Warcraft fan or not, it’s hard to criticize a game with so many accolades to its name. The fact this game is still being played by millions and profiting almost 12 years later on is a feat that will stand the test of time.

Here is a link below of Vanilla vs Legion comparison by IGN.

Just remember Vanilla is 12 years old and Legion uses the same foundation.

Around the Network

Those graphics are still ancient.

Slimebeast said:

Indeed they are.

I am not that impressed either. Improved textures, more vegetation, massively improved lighting - that would be it.

Slimebeast said:

Wow was always about artstyle, it looked great back then, it looks great now. From what I can see :) not sure why the axe swing is blue though :D

Ultr said:
Slimebeast said:

Wow was always about artstyle, it looked great back then, it looks great now. From what I can see :) not sure why the axe swing is blue though :D

I agree, WoW was never about pushing visuals, it was more about pushing boundaries. Its Art Style is ageless. Playing the game with everything set on Ultra and High makes the game hold up really well. Plus the game has a 4k feature if you have the GPU and TV to achieve it.

The Mechanics have changed drastically, That Blue swing would resemble a special ability eg: Mortal Strike.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Ultr said:

I agree, WoW was never about pushing visuals, it was more about pushing boundaries. Its Art Style is ageless. Playing the game with everything set on Ultra and High makes the game hold up really well. Plus the game has a 4k feature if you have the GPU and TV to achieve it.

The Mechanics have changed drastically, That Blue swing would resemble a special ability eg: Mortal Strike.

It really looks even better now!

But at that level that has to be the low level swing. I just thought blue is totally out of place because there is no magic in that one, I would have liked it white or something. But dont get me wrong the swing looks cool, its just the color that seems out of place to me.

Back in the days when I played it I couldn't even get it to highest setting and I could already fall into the world for hours and hours, now it looks even better.

That's a pretty nice improvement. Definitely much more noticeable than that of most so-called HD remasters. And just to clarify: I'm talking about the improvement (i.e. the change), not the end result (i.e. the final graphics).

Azzanation said:
Ultr said:

I guess that is down to everyones taste. While I do agree that tech wise and MMO should not be pushing any boundarties, the truth is that the game is but ugly for 2016, especially when you are the last remaining AAA P2P MMO. I was never a fan, and I can still play W3 without any issues today, but I think after the last milking (Legion) they should really come up with a new MMO.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Ultr said:
Azzanation said:

It really looks even better now!

But at that level that has to be the low level swing. I just thought blue is totally out of place because there is no magic in that one, I would have liked it white or something. But dont get me wrong the swing looks cool, its just the color that seems out of place to me.

Back in the days when I played it I couldn't even get it to highest setting and I could already fall into the world for hours and hours, now it looks even better.

Just to confirm, that Blue effect is Slam which is your level one attack. The normal attacks dont have a colour. Depending on the move and the spec it varies. If your Fury most abilities have a Red or Orange effect, Arms tends to have a Blue etc.

My PC only runs WoW at 40 Frames at Ultra and my PC is only 5 years old. The game can push hardware if you plan on having everything on. I had to turn AA off and turned field of view down to get a solid 60.

Slimebeast said:

I got into WoW for what it offered, not it's visuals. I never hopped into WoW expecting it to be something akin to Crysis (despite Crysis coming after but used as an example of expetcing high fidelity visuals). Yes it looks dated but so do other MMO's out there and some that are recent are going to end up looking dated a lot sooner down the line.

The things I love about WoW were it's story, it's character lore, the art style (as pictured below) and the soundtrack as well as the different classes, all that to me was what drew me towards the game and still does.

Also Minecraft by it's visuals alone looks pretty low in the graphics dept, but it's still played by millions of people years later, it's not the graphics that drew those people in either, it was the style, the creativity and what you were allowed to do within the game.

OT: I loved the new skin changes we got back in WoD, I feel like they were a step up from the vanilla models, including their animations they gave.

Just look at the poor Vanilla Tauren:

New

Emotions

Also we received new AA and AO options in WoD:

So far I'm loving what Legion is giving me and allowing me to play it at my own pace, allowing me to level up in the other zones(besides Suramar which is for 110 content) and the profession changes they have made in this expansion make it much more easier to get into and make some money off as well as gear this time around.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"