By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky erases discoveries after 2 weeks *NOW FIXED

thismeintiel said:
If this game had been a fully multiplat game, everyone would have stopped bitching and hating a week ago. But, since it's a PS4 "exclusive" gotta keep that hate alive. Oh well. Glad to hear some are enjoying it for what it is. And hopefully Murray will get more features patched in.

Yes, but this goes both ways. If it would've been multi and would not have gotten the Sony treatment in terms of marketing and exclusive association, the hype would've been way lower and the talk before release would not have had the ridiculous amount of unjustified levels to a point where there were death threats because of a delay and ddos because of a review.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
baloofarsan said:

Top right corner of the screen.

So basically you're saying you're smart and everyone else is dumb for expecting a good game. Okay, sure, but what does that have to do with anything? That doesn't excuse them for lying and making a mediocre game.

I meant that I really did not pay attention to the ammo.

All I am saying is that I got the same game that I saw two years ago. I do not why other people expected a multiplayer FPS.

How can you get a multiplayer game of any kind out of this qoute?

“Can you run into other people,” asked Colbert, “other players on the game?”

“Yes, but the chances of that are incredibly rare just because the size of what we’re building.”

If Colbert was a real journalist he should have asked more:

Can you interact or speak with the other player? Can you kill the other player? 

Colbert (and the rest of the internet) seems to think that if you can run into another player then of course you can kill them.

thismeintiel said:
If this game had been a fully multiplat game, everyone would have stopped bitching and hating a week ago. But, since it's a PS4 "exclusive" gotta keep that hate alive. Oh well. Glad to hear some are enjoying it for what it is. And hopefully Murray will get more features patched in.

Well, to be fair, you wouldn't have as many people defending it anymore if it wasn't a PS4 console exclusive either.

thismeintiel said:

I dont think thats fair...

I am a PS4 owner, I buy lots of ps4 games, and I was looking forward to NMS, but as a designer and player, I can see pretty much straight away where the faults are with this game, and they are pretty huge.

There were two core gameplay loops as far as I can tell, Getting to the center of the universe to discover "something" and "Naming" things - the idea of discovery - you were an explorer the first person to a planet and so like a new age discoverer you are the one who first experiences something and gets the chance to name it, kind of a charles darwin element.

Now I had a problem with the game early on, because it tells you to spend all this time exploring on planet getting 100% of things, while pushing you to the center, but as soon as you move anywhere in hyperspace, its extremely difficult to go back, which destroys the whole finding everything on a planet and naming it. This leads me onto the next thing, if naming things are pointless as they get wiped, and there is no multiplayer why bother with one of the biggest elements of the game, procederal generation. They would have been much better placed to make a single player game with proper gameplay loops had they not gone down the route they did which obviously with the size of team was never going to be achievable.

So as you can see, with the exploring, discover, pushing to the center, an infinite number of planets that have no point... its a game that really should/could have been more than it is.

So I dont think critism of the game is unfair, but this new issue is a massive issue if true, because its one of the few elements that exists to make the player care about the game. You spend ages going around trying to be the first to discover things, only to find its all pointless, pretty rubbish.

The game feels like it should have been in development for another year or two while they added in more features or at least thought about what they were making. They probably had to pull out lots of things from the game, just due to releasing pressure, so I do feel sorry for Hello games, but perhaps the game was just too big an ask for them.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

baloofarsan said:

I meant that I really did not pay attention to the ammo.

All I am saying is that I got the same game that I saw two years ago. I do not why other people expected a multiplayer FPS.

How can you get a multiplayer game of any kind out of this qoute?

“Can you run into other people,” asked Colbert, “other players on the game?”

“Yes, but the chances of that are incredibly rare just because the size of what we’re building.”

If Colbert was a real journalist he should have asked more:

Can you interact or speak with the other player? Can you kill the other player? 

Colbert (and the rest of the internet) seems to think that if you can run into another player then of course you can kill them.

Who is complaining about No Man's Sky because it's not an online fps? I've never heard this. What I have heard though is Sean Murray saying there is multiplayer when in fact there is none, among many other falsitys, and so the internet is rightfully getting on him for lying. 

Around the Network
zero129 said:

You have to understand that to a No Mans Sky fan even if every planet except for One got deleted after 2 weeks, and that was the only planet they could play on they would make up a reason for why this is ok trust me.

Can we not act like children about this, please?

My main complaints are that theres not much to do in the game and that it crashed several times. Its still a fun game though.

Einsam_Delphin said:
baloofarsan said:

Who is complaining about No Man's Sky because it's not an online fps? I've never heard this. What I have heard though is Sean Murray saying there is multiplayer when in fact there is none, among many other falsitys, and so the internet is rightfully getting on him for lying. 

The FPS was hyperbole. 

"Multiplayer games allow players interaction with other individuals in partnership, competition or rivalry, providing them with social communication absent from single-player games." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_video_game

Has Sean Murray even been asked about what kind of interaction there would be if you meet someone else? 

My conclusion of the whole controversy: I blame (the lack of) gaming journalism!

-----------

Now I will be off for a Pride Parade!

Update (08/27/2016): The user who first discovered that No Man’s Sky wipes your discoveries has updated his post to reveal that after re-downloading and reloading the game several times, his discoveries reappeared. The user believes it might be a server bug that is causing this issue.

Source: OPs Source.

Thanks jlmurph!

baloofarsan said:

The FPS was hyperbole. 

"Multiplayer games allow players interaction with other individuals in partnership, competition or rivalry, providing them with social communication absent from single-player games." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_video_game

Has Sean Murray even been asked about what kind of interaction there would be if you meet someone else? 

My conclusion of the whole controversy: I blame (the lack of) gaming journalism!

-----------

Now I will be off for a Pride Parade!

My man, you can not spin the fact that he lied, and it's no one's fault but his own. What does it matter whether or not he explains exactly how the multiplayer works? There is no multiplayer at all in the game, thus he lied about it having multiplayer in any sense of the word. And again that's just one of many, many lies.

Also, this video is epic!

View on YouTube