By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky erases discoveries after 2 weeks *NOW FIXED

All of this really just proves what I said the moment it was announced as full price. If it would have remained at an indie price of $19.99, it wouldn't be getting this hate. We always forgive games at that price point. But at full AAA price? The game needs to be much more solid and true to the hype. Expectations at that price point are really discriminatory.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
The hate for this game is starting to get ridiculous

Haven't you heard?  The haters only make up 1% of 0.0002 of the internet population.  It's a minority!  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

StarOcean said:

Who is the liar in question? Honestly, I've not followed this game at all. But anyone with sense knew it was going to be a generic survival game. It looked like that from the beginning when they showed it off at E3, only with a space theme. You walk and... name things? I know about that because of this thread XD What was expected? An endless amazing unique randomly generated galaxy with endless stuff to do? Randomly generated is very rarely used correctly and never leads to good level design. At best you'll get a few interesting structures like you do in minecraft 

So you're saying the hate is ridiculous without actually knowing if it is...

What was expected was A.) a good game, that's always expected, and B.) what they (HelloGames) told us to expect and promised, most of which they did not deliever on, hence lying.

Also just curious, where do you see generic survival game in this trailer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

Every time you think the NMS debacle is done, another lie is uncovered, lol. That said, who knows if this is a real issue or just another bug.

walsufnir said:

GribbleGrunger said:

I'm busy looking for clues to find the true centre. It's one huge puzzle folks and it's setting the NMS community on fire at the moment.

Oh, is there talk about it? Where can one find more info about that? I want to see the fire.

Check out the NMS Reddit. I saw a link on another forum and uh, yeah. It's crazy. People have created all kinds of tin foil hattery to explain the "ending". It's all a simulation, bro!

Also, who cares if there are a lot of NMS threads? There are lots of NMS lies. It's not "hate" to discuss/mock liars.

And people said this was a GOTY contender (no offense, you couldn't know how much the developers lied to you)

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
StarOcean said:

Who is the liar in question? Honestly, I've not followed this game at all. But anyone with sense knew it was going to be a generic survival game. It looked like that from the beginning when they showed it off at E3, only with a space theme. You walk and... name things? I know about that because of this thread XD What was expected? An endless amazing unique randomly generated galaxy with endless stuff to do? Randomly generated is very rarely used correctly and never leads to good level design. At best you'll get a few interesting structures like you do in minecraft 

What was expected was A.) a good game, that's always expected, and B.) what they (HelloGames) told us to expect and promised, most of which they did not deliever on, hence lying.

Also just curious, where do you see generic survival game in this trailer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

I know what it is. I haven't been following the game, because Im not into it. But it doesnt mean I wasn't aware of it being the most amazing endless game ever that some thought it'd be. 

On A. the game seems good, critically speaking its very average. Good is good, not bad and not great. For me, good has always meant average -but language is relative to its user. B. Don't trust PR. That's how they get you Car salesmen make even the shittiest car look amazing but you know not to trust them. They aren't there to give you the best deal, they're there to make profit from you. Do I like that way about things? No. But is it effective? Yes, and this is proof of that. From what I have looked up, this company has made a generic game fit for smartphones prior to release. I wouldn't have put that much faith into them.

Yeah, that's E3 2014 footage when no one knew what the hell the game was. I should have said I was referring to the E3's leading up to release though. And not even at E3, they showed it plenty elsewhere. And those showed it to be as I described. I'm not really defending it as much as I wonder what people were expecting from a studio that made only one game prior. You obviously kept up more with the news than I -so what do I know? I just wasn't convinced it was anything special -never expect that from randomly generated games at this scale

SvennoJ said:
Always fun to see a new nms thread after another satisfying 3 hour run. Platinum trophy unlocked, still not bored as I got with TW3 after this many hours. And that's with the game only half finished!

Nobody ever said the game cannot be fun to some people.

What an absolute gem of a project this game is!

Einsam_Delphin said:
StarOcean said:

Do you never critically examine youtube videos? I saw this two years ago. This is what I saw:

• First person view with NO GUN! Reading about it confirmed that you would not be able to shoot at anything cause there would be sentinels protecting the planets. I really did not know what a sentinel was at the time but I was assured that this game was not about shooting.
  • WALKING (not running) on a colorful planet with animals. Colour almost always keep the CoD crowd away so it implied this would not be a very violent game.
  • Flying from one planet to another. This was a little confusing as they flew trough a space battle with BIG spaceships. I like Star Wars games with starships (like Rouge Leader) and knew I would probably like that too, but that was not really the focus of the game.
  • I did NOT see a MULTIPLAYER game and some reading about it reassured me that it was not.
  • I did not see that it was a survival game but I understood that it was a EXPLORATION game.
  • I always look out for CINEMATIC parts of trailers and the rhinoceros thing looked to me at the time as a staged thing (there is a special word for it that escapes me right now). This was a little worrying as I do not like cinematic breaks in games.
  • I totally missed that the game was somewhat associated with Sony and thought it was an independant studio. I would not have believed that it was only 10 - 15 developers.
  • What I saw and read about NMS two years ago made this the best game of E3 2014.
I have been moderatly interested in the news about NMS as I sincerely thought that this was a niche game. That kind of game rarely get much updates or news. I was totally unaware that Sean Murray was on late night TV shows in USA. Now that I look at these videos I see a developer that try to explain what the game is and a host that only want to hear the words KILL and MULTIPLAYER. The worst I have seen is IGN FIRST. This is supposed to be a journalist (gaming journalists) but fail to ask any relevant questions or even follow up on questions. 

StarOcean said:

I know what it is. I haven't been following the game, because Im not into it. But it doesnt mean I wasn't aware of it being the most amazing endless game ever that some thought it'd be. 

On A. the game seems good, critically speaking its very average. Good is good, not bad and not great. For me, good has always meant average -but language is relative to its user. B. Don't trust PR. That's how they get you Car salesmen make even the shittiest car look amazing but you know not to trust them. They aren't there to give you the best deal, they're there to make profit from you. Do I like that way about things? No. But is it effective? Yes, and this is proof of that. From what I have looked up, this company has made a generic game fit for smartphones prior to release. I wouldn't have put that much faith into them.

Yeah, that's E3 2014 footage when no one knew what the hell the game was. I should have said I was referring to the E3's leading up to release though. And not even at E3, they showed it plenty elsewhere. And those showed it to be as I described. I'm not really defending it as much as I wonder what people were expecting from a studio that made only one game prior. You obviously kept up more with the news than I -so what do I know? I just wasn't convinced it was anything special -never expect that from randomly generated games at this scale

But you aren't fully aware of the situation surrounding it, I mean you had to ask who is lying which implies you didn't know about the deception, the biggest reason for the hate as even non NMS enthusiast can get behind it.

I'd say PR spin and detailing features in a game are two very different things. I don't see game companies saying stuff is in their game when it isn't that often. Even with Nintendo's terrible games, while they of course advertise them like they're good, they don't outright lie and say stuff like Amiibo Festival has online multiplayer. But regardless of what it's called and how often they do it, lying is lying. Really that alone is enough justification for the hate as we shouldn't let them think they can get away with selling games based on lies.

Ah, yeah the game was pretty much fully revealed ealier this year, but we didn't know that at the time, nor did we know exactly how overbearing the survival aspect would be. They made it seem like they were holding back details so there would be "surprises" for us when we played it ourselves. For me I just expected a good fun space exploration game, instead I get lies.