By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WSJ: Sony To Announce PS4 Slim And Neo Next Month (Playstation Meeting)

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:
$149 or no buy.

There is a product for people who want to spend only $150 on a console and it's called PS3.

Dat reference doh!

Around the Network

Sony are capable of releasing it at $199 but they won't. It's probably going to be $299. The price of the Neo is harder to judge because we just don't know the spec and we are looking at something between $399 and $599 because of the lack of info. I think I previously predicted $299 slim and $449 Neo so I'll stick with that.

SWORDF1SH said:
Sony are capable of releasing it at $199 but they won't. It's probably going to be $299. The price of the Neo is harder to judge because we just don't know the spec and we are looking at something between $399 and $599 because of the lack of info. I think I previously predicted $299 slim and $449 Neo so I'll stick with that.

What does that even mean? That they don't lose money when they do it?

Neo! Neo! Neo!

KBG29 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Everything is possible, just $150 price cut  isn't realistic at all. Also PS4 Neo will most likely have $100 higher price than regular PS4, $150 at most. I personally expecting $400 for PS4 Neo, and $250-300 for regular PS4.

GribbleGrunger said:

Final prediction:

PS4 drops to $300 (still going to sell because some people will prefer the aesthetics)
PS4s $250
PS4 Neo $350 - $400. If it's $400 it will come with a game. Likely UC4 enhanced.

Sure everything is possible, I just don't see how so many think Neo will only be $100 more than the base model. We are talking about an industry that charges $50 more for a 500GB vs 1TB system. That is on a drive that is maybe a few bucks more, ecspecialy in bulk.

Now, we have a system that at the least has twice the GPU, an enhanced Audio/Video decoder, and most likely a 1TB. I just dont see this being anything but double the price of the base unit. 

At $200/$400 or $250/$500 there is a clear distinction between the base unit and the premium model. It leaves no confusion with those prices. If you want a PS4 on the whim the base is a no brainer with a 2X price difference.

With a mere $100 difference, there is almost no point in the PS4 2000, as people will just pay the $100 extra. Unless the idea is just to make the Neo such a good deal people can't pass it up, and then when the data shows Neo is %85 of the sales they will pull the 2000 off the shelves.

Whatever the out come, this is extreamly exciting times in the console buisness. September 7th is going to be a great day, and whatever the outcome, I will be getting a Neo and PSVR day one.

For $100 you can easily make twice stronger PS4 gpu and strength overall system. There is no confusion if you have system with price point of $250 and system with price point of $350, $100 is pretty huge difference for console. You realise that PS4 curently have higher price than PS3 only for aroung $150.

I am standing that PS4 Neo will have around $100-150 higher price than PS4, no way that will have $200 difference in price or twice difference. Remember this is just upgrade not completely new console even PS4 had higher price than PS3 only for $150-200 when was launched, even now PS4 has higher price than PS3 for only $150 and you expecting that PS4 upgrade have double price than PS4!? Sry but that doesnt make any sense.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

Final prediction:

PS4 drops to $300 (still going to sell because some people will prefer the aesthetics)
PS4s $250
PS4 Neo $350 - $400. If it's $400 it will come with a game. Likely UC4 enhanced.

Even if the Neo was priced at $499, I don't see them adding a game with it. It's a premium console. They don't have to "convince" people to buy it. 

Panama said:
Are people really expecting a 4k capable console at a $400 price tag?

Yes. But you need to know that there is true 4k and then there is console 4k. DF has already shown that running at Neo rumored specs it's already possible to have games run at 4k in some manner or form. Consoles will allow for optimizations that PCs womt allow so on a console they can get more out of the hardware. All that aside, because they say 4k on a console deosnt mean the console has native support for 4k. It just outputs in 4k. The game can be rendered internally at any resolution the devs choose. 

But, but... I was told that producing and offering a PS4 model with the old specs additional to the faster Neo model would make no sense and would be a "manufacturing nightmare"!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=216370&page=1#20
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=216370&page=1#30

Can't wait for this meeting!!!

walsufnir said:
SWORDF1SH said:

What does that even mean? That they don't lose money when they do it?

Whoops, I left it a little vague.

Yes they could probably make a small amount of money or at least lose a small amount. Sony have made the cheapest possible PS4 and left out 4k. If the Xbox One S can sell at $299 with UHD capabilities and make, then the PS4 slim must be cheaper to build coupled with that Sony are a bit better at keeping costs down than MS. So if for example MS a make $50 aconsole, it's not to hard to believe that Sony couls make $100 a console with the Slim at $299. So it's a viable route at $199 and still make an healthy amount of money through PlayStation (Software, subs etc)

I hope Sony does not pull a MS and announces Neo is next year, that would be the worst thing ever.