By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WSJ: Sony To Announce PS4 Slim And Neo Next Month (Playstation Meeting)

WoodenPints said:
Seems like so m any people (across VGC in general not just this thread) are predicting the NEO to only cost $349 (Current standard PS4 price) -$399, What kinda specs are they expecting for this price tag? No way are we going to get a 4.5 flops or what ever the rumoured amount was at $349 unless Sony want to go into an aggressive price war and take $100 loss per NEO sold which they don't need to do.

If the Neo uses a RX 480, like some believe it will, that's only a $199 chip. Probably only $149-$169 for Sony. That leaves $230-250 for the rest of the system. I think a $399 is doable.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
I hope Sony does not pull a MS and announces Neo is next year, that would be the worst thing ever.

I don't think so. Andrew disliked the fact that Microsoft announced the console 1 year  before release.

thismeintiel said:

If the Neo uses a RX 480, like some believe it will, that's only a $199 chip. Probably only $149-$169 for Sony. That leaves $230-250 for the rest of the system. I think a $399 is doable.

If the Neo uses a RX 480, it has no CPU ;)

Also the $199 is for the whole video card, not only the chip.

But the BOM is only one factor of product pricing anyway and depends on the pricing of the competitors. A price difference of $/€ 150 between entry model and premium model is a good distance and should attract different groups of buyers. I'm expecting $/€ 249 for the Slim and $/€ 399 for the Neo this year.

The price difference shouldn't be too small to avoid cannibalizing one of the two products, but also not too big if the main difference is a higher resolution or a few more fps.

I think that PS4s will be $299. That will allow for pack ins and holiday discounts/promotions.

The NEO will be $449-$499. THey can run with this to allow for the same deals/discounts as the PS4s at the holiday and drop the price leading up to the Scorpios release.

It is near the end of the end....

Turkish said:
I hope Sony does not pull a MS and announces Neo is next year, that would be the worst thing ever.

I'm 80% sure that the Neo is releasing this year. Sony will want a 4K console to compete with the Slim and with more power it's likely to dominate. The reason I can't be 100% sure is we don't know whether Sony have been caught off guard by the promise of Scorpio next year and the 4K playback of the XB1s. We know of two Neo SKUs and we do not know which Sony have gone with. I'm looking at the PS+ hyke and thinking they're doing it to cover costs of the Neo. We know that the PS4s is clearly cheaper to make so it's not that Sony are tying to cover ... So, I'm leaning towards the higher end specs for the Neo and therefore Sony needing to accept less profit than expected or eating a little of the costs for a while.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Lmao the Xbox and PlayStation are becoming the same thing, both have a slim and stronger version now...

Turkish said:

I think the Playstation fanbase is split here.

The one part hopes that the Neo will release next year so that the power gap won't be too big - these people obviously care about power in their console.

The other part hopes it will be announced and will be released this year because of the headstart the Neo would have and so that they are not behaving like MS, announcing a console too early.