By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WSJ: Sony To Announce PS4 Slim And Neo Next Month (Playstation Meeting)

Sony Corp. plans to introduce a new PlayStation 4 standard model alongside a high-end version next month, people familiar with the matter said, in an effort to maintain demand for the best-selling videogame console.

With the release of the two models, Sony hopes to attract hard-core fans and more casual users to its videogame platform, analysts said. The company has been trying to build a community of users so that it can earn consistent revenue from subscriptions and software downloads.

Sony has said that it would hold a news conference at the PlayStation Theater in New York on Sept. 7. A Sony spokesman said the company would talk about the PlayStation 4 business at the news conference.

Sony said in June that it planned to introduce a high-end version of PlayStation 4 with enhanced graphics capabilities, but it hasn’t publicly discussed plans to refresh its standard model.

On the OG PS4:

Ahead of the September news conference, Sony has cut production of PlayStation 4 to adjust inventory, people familiar with the matter said. Several major e-commerce websites in Japan, including Sony’s own e-commerce site, said the PlayStation 4 was out of stock.

PlayStation 4 sales have been weaker in Japan than in the U.S. Data from videogame magazine publisher Famitsu showed sales of the console in Japan have been declining slightly in recent weeks. Nevertheless, stocks of the device are likely to run out as the company limits production.

“The white model was gone two weeks ago and we just sold our last black model in stock,” said the chief of the videogame floor at a major electronics store in Tokyo. “Our central purchasing department warned us we wouldn’t get any for now because the item is simply not in distribution channels.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-to-sell-updated-model-of-standard-playstation-4-1471833069

That bolded suggests a lower than expected price. I'm revising down to $200 - $250 for the slim and £350 - $400 for the Neo.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Yes, thank you WSJ for that new and exciting news.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

BraLoD said:
$250 or lower for the slim, do it Sony!

I think so too.

The PS5 Exists. 

Normchacho said:

WSJ have a near 100% accurate track record. 

If they say something it's more likely to actually be true. 

ZhugeEX said:
Normchacho said:

WSJ have a near 100% accurate track record. 

If they say something it's more likely to actually be true. 

Yeah, but we've seen the updated PS4. It leaked.

Plus, more personally, PS4's have been discountinued at my work for like a month and my Sony rep said they were making room.

We knew this was coming.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Definitly looks more and more like we will have;

PS4 2000 Model = $249.99

PS4 Neo Edition = $499.99

Sony is looking to make a device for the core gamer and high end A/V enthusiast. People that want a basic gaming device can get the 1080p PS4, and those looking to take advantage of 4K LED TV's & 9.2ch Audio Systems can pick up the 4K Neo.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I own a PS4 and even though I no longer want to own either an Xbox Two of PS5, I wouldn't be buying either one of these machines until PS5 came out. I'm not cool with spending 800-1,000 dollars every 6 years on something I use to spend 300-400 dollars on. I will not be a part of the problem.

RolStoppable said:
$149 or no buy.

There is a product for people who want to spend only $150 on a console and it's called PS3.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

KBG29 said:
Definitly looks more and more like we will have;

PS4 2000 Model = $249.99

PS4 Neo Edition = $499.99

Sony is looking to make a device for the core gamer and high end A/V enthusiast. People that want a basic gaming device can get the 1080p PS4, and those looking to take advantage of 4K LED TV's & 9.2ch Audio Systems can pick up the 4K Neo.

What makes you think it's going to be that expensive? Unless it's way more powerful than the leaked specks we've been seeing...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

GribbleGrunger said:

That bolded suggests a lower than expected price. I'm revising down to $200 - $250 for the slim and £350 - $400 for the Neo.

I think there is zero chance that PS4 will have price cut of $150, $100 posible, $50 most posible.