By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In Your Eyes: Has Nintendo Given Up On Home Consoles?

superchunk said:
NO!

Its really annoying that:
1) people assume portable to be lesser than or inferior to a home console gaming experience. Content > power.
2) people assume that because NX has portable functionality it is the a "portable" console. This is just an ignorant assumption that has no out-of-the-box thinking.

The NX is a gaming console. It has the ability to be played directly on your TV similar to previous "home" consoles as well as played away from the TV similar to previous "portable" consoles. This concept has been pretty obvious as Nintendo's plan for many years now when they combined stores, combined OS experiences, combined NNID, combined hardware departments and began testing out dual launch games such as SSB.

Nintendo is neither abandoning the home or portable markets. It is creating a new platform that satisfies both markets beyond the scope of doing a console limited to one or the other.

(yes there is a lot my own assumption on the final product in this post, but I am always right
)

werent you one of the people that swore Wii U would do 50 mil lifetime?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

I guess the question is this really a home console or basically like a portable Wii U with a few additions? 

Its a device meant to blur the lines between handheld & console and act as both.

Handhelds have come far enough where they can handle basically any home console gameplay experience so there is no longer a need to have them seperated.

this isnt a true statement, there are games like the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 that no portable could run. I dont think NX will be different

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

Its a device meant to blur the lines between handheld & console and act as both.

Handhelds have come far enough where they can handle basically any home console gameplay experience so there is no longer a need to have them seperated.

this isnt a true statement, there are games like the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 that no portable could run. I dont think NX will be different

You are both correct, actually. Games like Resident Evil: Revelations and Monster Hunter need only graphical updates and no changes to the game play, mechanics, or design to be acceptable on home consoles. They are full console experiences on a hand held. Not to mention there are several PSVita games that rival their console counterparts specifically in terms of game play, mechanics, and design. Graphically, a PSVita or 3DS title would be unacceptable on a home console, but the game itself is a complete experience.

On the other hand, there are some games like Witcher 3 or the newest Final Fantasy title or Fallour 4 that are obviously too limited by hardware technology of current day hand helds. This means you are both correct.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

No, if all goes to plan then NX is going to have the best console line up Nintendo has had since the Gamecube.

A few years back the handheld space simply couldn't provide the experience that we have on consoles, but they're near enough equal now (looking at the X1) bar graphical differences. There are very few modern game experiences which couldn't be had on a 500GFP GPU. Looking at the complexity of Zelda BOTW world, I have no concerns for the NX as a capable home console.

Does anyone know how NX's rumoured CPU compares to PS4?

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

Note that i used the word: GAMEPLAY.

In terms of gameplay there is nothing about the Witcher or Fallout that couldnt work on a handheld form factor.

Besides, i was talking about Nintendo's games. There is really no game style that cant work on a handheld. 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Isn't the NX supposed to be a hybrid? I don't think they have completely given up on consoles.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I hope so... Nintendo just isn't good enough to make hardware which is worth to buy.

oniyide said:
superchunk said:
NO!

Its really annoying that:
1) people assume portable to be lesser than or inferior to a home console gaming experience. Content > power.
2) people assume that because NX has portable functionality it is the a "portable" console. This is just an ignorant assumption that has no out-of-the-box thinking.

The NX is a gaming console. It has the ability to be played directly on your TV similar to previous "home" consoles as well as played away from the TV similar to previous "portable" consoles. This concept has been pretty obvious as Nintendo's plan for many years now when they combined stores, combined OS experiences, combined NNID, combined hardware departments and began testing out dual launch games such as SSB.

Nintendo is neither abandoning the home or portable markets. It is creating a new platform that satisfies both markets beyond the scope of doing a console limited to one or the other.

(yes there is a lot my own assumption on the final product in this post, but I am always right
)

werent you one of the people that swore Wii U would do 50 mil lifetime?

Nope.

It takes more than a handheld  console to make a console a hybrid. So no, obviously not. This is their new take. (if the EG rumors are true ofc)

Dr.Vita said:
I hope so... Nintendo just isn't good enough to make hardware which is worth to buy.

I assume you mean in the vein just like Sony just cant make a proper handheld right?

Stop being silly.

With Zelda Breath of the Wild, it's kinda hard to say yes they are giving up. :P

Rumors of NX do not confirm anything at this moment. Yes, they may likely be true, but it doesn't mean anything so far because we still don't know how it will actually work until they show the damn thing.